Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #61
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by adv_dp_fan View Post
So you are saying it will still require an extra copy?
Yes, it's exactly the same scenario as the recommended 'Connect to iTunes' approach discussed extensively in this thread.

If you feel that strongly about it, you could use calibre's content server to transfer books without iTunes acting as the intermediary.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #62
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
That really is an unfair comment, you know. It's not that Calibre won't let you access its copy. There may not be a local copy and Apple insists upon a local copy. The real problem is that Apple won't let you (or Calibre) put your ebook on an Apple controlled device using anything other than Apple controlled software.
Put another way, and not counting the unsupported direct-to-device mechanism, putting stuff on an iDevice requires iTunes. From Calibre's point of view, iTunes IS the device, not the iPad or iPod.
When Calibre puts a book on a device, it ALWAYS creates a copy on the device, right? Kindles and Nooks don't link to your library copy, etc.
So really, the ability of iTunes to link to the library copy was something of a hack and an aberration, it was just a fairly convenient one for some of us.

Now Calibre is working more consistently, but that new consistency is highlighting one of the issues with trying to use Apple's model outside it's walled garden.

For me, I really only need my wife to choose whether the one extra step of deleting the iTunes copy is acceptable to her, or if I switch her to using Calibre's content server to get books onto her iPod.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #63
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
If I use content server from my iPad (but connect my Kindle directly), do I have to keep alternating the "Preferred output format" every time I use the alternate device?

i.e. I have PDFs that I want to read on my iPad, and MOBIs of course for the Kindle.

It would be nice if I could specify a different output format for Content Server versus that for the connected device... ?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #64
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
If I use content server from my iPad (but connect my Kindle directly), do I have to keep alternating the "Preferred output format" every time I use the alternate device?

i.e. I have PDFs that I want to read on my iPad, and MOBIs of course for the Kindle.

It would be nice if I could specify a different output format for Content Server versus that for the connected device... ?
Or, if the content server interface offered a choice of which format to deliver when multiple formats are available…
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #65
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Click details and you get a choice of format to download in the content server
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #66
Alan (PF95)
Ignorant Newbie
Alan (PF95) began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
The real problem is that Apple won't let you (or Calibre) put your ebook on an Apple controlled device using anything other than Apple controlled software.
Am I doing something wrong? I use Stanza, via iTunes.

I tell it to import, and it opens a window. I navigate to Calibre library (Calibre now holds all my books), drill down to author, and select book(s).

It's a hassle to select different books by different authors, but Calibre needn't be running- and no iTunes copies are made (that I can tell).

Should I revert to iBook, in order to have all these "copy to iTunes" problems?
Alan (PF95) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #67
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan (PF95) View Post
Am I doing something wrong? I use Stanza, via iTunes.

I tell it to import, and it opens a window. I navigate to Calibre library (Calibre now holds all my books), drill down to author, and select book(s).

It's a hassle to select different books by different authors, but Calibre needn't be running- and no iTunes copies are made (that I can tell).

Should I revert to iBook, in order to have all these "copy to iTunes" problems?
Wouldn't matter. Sounds like you are really not using Calibre in your process of putting books on your iDevice. You just happen to be using the same copy of the book on your disk that Calibre uses. You end up with the same situation that Calibre USED to end up with, and have the same sort of potential issues that Kovid described (if you make certain changes to the book in Calibre, you will break your link in iTunes.)

if you actually used Calibre to put the book on your device, you'd probably want Calibre to be able to do so no matter where it keeps it's library, and these changes enable Calibre to do it even if your library goes off to live in the cloud somewhere.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #68
adv_dp_fan
Zealot
adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!

Device: Sony 505, iPad 1 & 3, Galaxy Note 8.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
If you feel that strongly about it, you could use calibre's content server to transfer books without iTunes acting as the intermediary.
That would be great except iBooks doesn't support the content server.

Anyway, for now I'm experimenting with the newest version to see how I feel about any changes in my old workflow. Who knows, maybe I'll like it better, and I can always revert back to an earlier version.

Thanks to everyone for answering all my questions and helping me understand the changes.
adv_dp_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #69
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv_dp_fan View Post
That would be great except iBooks doesn't support the content server.
Sure as heck does on ours. Browse to content server in Safari, click an epub to download and the device will prompt you with an "Open in iBooks" option.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #70
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Click details and you get a choice of format to download in the content server
What am I doing differently? When I view content server, I see a little grey button for each format of the book in my library, and I just click the one I want. I'm not even sure what "details" you are referring to.

ApK
Old 07-09-2011, 11:06 PM   #71
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You are seeing the mobile interface, go to /browse to see the normal interface.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #72
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You are seeing the mobile interface, go to /browse to see the normal interface.
Huh...how about that. I don't think I ever used the full interface before. Sometimes I'm happy to be a blind man describing an elephant when it comes to feature-rich systems. I'm only aware of the parts I use.
The mobile view is perfect for me.

Even in the /browse view on my system, by the way, I see an "other formats" line with links to all the formats in my library, so there would seem several ways to slice it.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #73
adv_dp_fan
Zealot
adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!

Device: Sony 505, iPad 1 & 3, Galaxy Note 8.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Sure as heck does on ours. Browse to content server in Safari, click an epub to download and the device will prompt you with an "Open in iBooks" option.
Ah, didn't think about trying to get it through Safari.

Thanks.
adv_dp_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple, idevice, ipad, iphone