Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-05-2011, 11:40 PM   #31
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
OK my take on this is that it is fine as an added service but by no means serves the needs of a community. It only creates a service for those that can afford an ereader.

The traditional library branch offers equal access to all.
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:48 PM   #32
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Old books? Google Books has 2 million PD books in epub format.
To be fair, most of those are atrocious as epubs. Auto-OCR'd with no formatting corrections. However, the scans are there and able to be converted into decent ebooks by anyone who's interested; a library could dedicate a few hours a week to conversion ("community activity: free workshop on learning to make an ebook!") and gradually build themselves an extensive collection to enhance what's available from Gutenberg.

Quote:
What there aren't enough of, I will admit, is backlist books - those that are still in copyright but have fallen out of print.
And there's not decent archiving of the ones they do have; for all that Google is the master of websearches, their own ebook searches suck. Their metadata's haphazard and flawed and their browsing is atrocious. They've got 2m books (probably allowing for a number of duplicates, but at that quantity, who cares), but you can't find them unless you know specifically what you're looking for.

Sorry. I do agree with you--there's no shortage of available ebooks; there's a shortage of specific categories--like the majority published between 1930 and 1995 or so. But there's more than a lifetime's worth of good reading freely available.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #33
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beespeckled View Post
OK my take on this is that it is fine as an added service but by no means serves the needs of a community. It only creates a service for those that can afford an ereader.
Or a computer.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:19 AM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:

In this day of the Net, it's ridiculous to have a gazillion library branches scattered all over town. It's time to start shutting most of them down to save tax dollars. A few strategically placed branches are more than adequate to serve the needs of those who want them.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:35 AM   #35
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
What there aren't enough of, I will admit, is backlist books - those that are still in copyright but have fallen out of print.

There should be enough old books to satisfy anyone who likes old books.
I agree. I have a book that I've always wanted to read that was out of print since 1977. I found a "cheap" copy for $300 online. I plan to read it then sell it, but it's so old, I'm almost afraid to touch it.

Quote:

They aren't eliminated paper books, they just aren't storing them in every branch. In the article it says that if someone comes into that branch and wants a book, they can order it and then pick it up at that branch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
In this day of the Net, it's ridiculous to have a gazillion library branches scattered all over town. It's time to start shutting most of them down to save tax dollars. A few strategically placed branches are more than adequate to serve the needs of those who want them.
I like having so many branches near me, but I don't use them that often because they don't have enough quiet/study space. I have 2 small branches, one around the corner, one right on the beach (literally, the only thing btwn that branch and the ocean is the parking lot) and a large main branch 2.5 mis away.

The small branch closest to me should just have computers. It's impossible to get on a computer in that place. The branch on the beach should keep paper books, if for no other reason than because they are right on the beach. It's use would be like Starbucks inside of B&N; grab a book, grab some sun, bring book back, or... if you like it, check it out. However, it's also where tourists go when they need access to a computer. The largest branch should keep all of their books on the 2nd floor with quiet study places on the perimeter and keep their computers downstairs where all of the noise is. The library is new, and has a ridiculous amount of unused space.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:31 AM   #36
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	69573
Here is our library. We have one of the largest local government areas in the state. In fact if I want to visit someone on the other side of the shire and have to drive around our dam it will take over four hours. We have two libraries only. Because of the huge distances to the library from residents to our library our local government introduced a mobile library which includes on-line computers with a satellite internet link. Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-wollondilly.gif
Views:	156
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	69574
If the book isn't in the truck and available at the library you can order it for the next visit
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Because of the huge distances to the library from residents to our library our local government introduced a mobile library which includes on-line computers with a satellite internet link.
How often does your traveling library visit?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #38
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Montgomery County, MD completed a new expanded library in a new shopping district just in time for electronic books to become prelevant in the area. Now they have had a sever drop off in visitors to the library as residents have simply stated that it costs too much to get to the library. It costs $0 to borrow the books, but the costs are in the fuel to get you there and back and therefore needs to be figgured into the cost of the books.

IMHO what counties across the country need to think about is how to remove the barriers to electronic books. Let's face it the readers are not free unless you have a smart phone, such as the one my office gives me which is free to me. In my county PC's are in 95% of all of the homes so library books can be provided via Overdrive. although readers are in 5% of the homes in the county so the challenge is to get the readers into the home. Since smart phones are in 90% of the homes and books can be borrowed with them, smart phones are a simple answer to how to get readers into the community. The challege here is telling the community how to get to the books via overdrive.

What ideas has your ocunties come up with the get electronic library books into the community? My county is talking to the community about smart phones and reading books on them. They will setup any smart phone that is presented to them for reading the counties electronic books from the county's libraries.

Other than that I say "It's about time a county out there gets with the 21st century". Libraries have become a rellic of the past.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #39
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
What ideas has your ocunties come up with the get electronic library books into the community? My county is talking to the community about smart phones and reading books on them. They will setup any smart phone that is presented to them for reading the counties electronic books from the county's libraries.
I won't read off a screen that small unless I'm stuck somewhere without anything else to do. Not sure how many others feel that way, but I'm not alone.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #40
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How often does your traveling library visit?
Every two weeks mate.
http://www.library.wollondilly.nsw.g...Mobile-Library
Old 04-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #41
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Cool. How desolate is it between Sydney and Canberra?
Old 04-07-2011, 02:26 AM   #42
wannabee
Media Bloke

Quote:
Cool. How desolate is it between Sydney and Canberra?
The desolate areas aren't between cities as the towns grew up along the highways mainly around the coast. Between the towns is a lot of paddocks. Not particularly great grazing land but that's what it's mainly used for. Towns are about every 10-30 miles or so along the highways. The desolate areas in our area are wilderness. Hundreds of square miles of wilderness just to our west.

Click image for larger version

Name:	the dam.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	577.9 KB
ID:	69597
Old 04-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #43
condor
condor began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:

Show me some technology to equal that
Beautiful! It certainly has great value as an ancient book and a glimpse into the era in which it was created. But how many of us have actually seen it in person versus looked at a digital copy?

I love the way public domain ebooks can be copied and shared at will. Assuming the technology remains with us, copies will exist as long as someone thinks they have value.

My concern about a society mostly free of books is that access to electronic information can be controlled remotely.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #44
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Beautiful! It certainly has great value as an ancient book and a glimpse into the era in which it was created. But how many of us have actually seen it in person versus looked at a digital copy?

I love the way public domain ebooks can be copied and shared at will. Assuming the technology remains with us, copies will exist as long as someone thinks they have value.

My concern about a society mostly free of books is that access to electronic information can be controlled remotely.

As opposed to printing presses being shut down my angry mobs, as often happened in the antebellum South?

Or as opposed to the newspaper and book publishing industries being controlled by a few large conglomerates?

With digital, if one copy exists anywhere, it potentially exists *everywhere*.

As long as the lights stay on.

Downside to everything, I guess, but I'll put my money on digital.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote