Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
laura_kate
laura_kate began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile help wanted if possible - opinion on E-books :)

Hi guys,

I am an Msc student studying at the University of Manchester currently doing my dissertation investigating E-books

If you have a spare 5-10minutes I would really appreciate it if you would use the link below to complete my questionnaire - you don't have to fill in any personal details, it is all confidential.

Hey everyone,

I am currently doing my Msc at the University of Manchester doing a dissertation on E-books.

If you have a spare 5-10minutes I would really appreciate it if you would take the time to complete my short questionnaire related to E-books at the link below:

(link removed for review)

Many thanks,

Laura

Also if you would generally like to discuss or comment on any issues related to E-books, please do so below.

Many thanks,

Laura

Last edited by laura_kate; 08-03-2010 at 09:03 AM.
laura_kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR!!!

I will check out the survey in a little while when I get home.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
laura_kate

thankyou
Old 08-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I completed your survey, but it is very general and imho does not have a wonderful design. For example, you do not list Fictionwise, Amazon or Sony among the ebook vendors I might have heard of, and they were the first ones on the market. Also, you do not list issues such as DRM or geographical restrictions among the things which prevent you from buying a book, and these are very big issues in this community. And I dislike absolute questions such as 'will ebooks replace paper books' or 'will you read only ebooks and never paper' because it doesn't really work that way. Certain books are better in one medium or another. Some people may sometimes read a paper book and sometimes an ebook. Did watercolour 'replace' oil painting? Did Microsoft Paint wipe out the sketchbook and pencil industry? To me, it's the same question.

I am happy to help with the survey, but I have to admit, I am a bit weary of people who claim to be doing serious research coming in with such incomplete and poorly thought out softball surveys. I am not sure what use you will have for the data you collect...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Laura and welcome to MobileRead. Just completed your survey
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laura_kate View Post
If you have a spare 5-10minutes I would really appreciate it if you would use the link below to complete my questionnaire - you don't have to fill in any personal details, it is all confidential.

link: http://FreeOnlineSurveys.com/renders...zbdodo3g790531
What factors prevent you from using E-books?
  • I don’t know where to find E-Books
  • I don't see the benefit of using E-books
  • E-books are too difficult to read
  • E-books are too expensive
  • E-books are not available in subject areas I’m interested in
  • E-books are too difficult to access
  • I don’t have access to the internet/a computer
  • Other (Please Specify):
DRM. Geographic restrictions.

The questions seem to be written for people who don't already read ebooks (it asks "would you consider buying an ebook reader," and none of the options include "I already have"); they're certainly skewed towards people who don't know much about them.

Which is probably reasonable for the general public, but Mobileread users will likely find some of the phrasing odd.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
laura_kate

Hi guys,

Thankyou for your comments they are very much appreciated. I have made some changes to the questionnaire based on your comments.

Ficbot any help you can offer again would be appreciated. Admittedly I am finding the topic area difficult, and am aware that others such as yourself will be more informed than most and indeed myself. However it is challenging to tailor a questionnaire that will make sense to the public at large, and to people who know a lot more about the topic.

What would you suggest besides your previous comments?

Last edited by laura_kate; 08-02-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:30 AM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread ...

Survey completed .

If you are trying to do an Msc on this topic, and you are finding it difficult ! I wonder if you are doing the right subject?

Your prices are given in Sterling (This is an International Community) - and even the highest price option is low !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:07 AM   #9
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
laura_kate, I think as far as 'help' goes, I suggest you do a LOT more research before you get to the point of setting surveys. Read some more FAQS to get a better sense of what's going on. I know I wrote one myself for members of another board I frequent, and it is very comprehensive for when it was written. You just need a better grounding in the issues, I think. You don't even know what to ask yet, really.

If this is serious research and not just a lark, and you come back with better questions, you might get more help and better answers.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #10
laura_kate

Ok, thanks again for your comments.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:13 AM   #11
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
welcome
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #12
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #13
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Hello Laura and welcome to MobileRead. Nice to see you here.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote