Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
evandy
Enthusiast
evandy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Calibre-DX??

I just got my first eBook reader (the DX!), so forgive me if this is the newbie question that I expect it is...

I connect the kindle (shows up in the OS-X Finder (10.4)).
I launch Calibre
I wait a while, and select some books
I hit "Send to Device"

I get the error:
'NoneType' object has no attribute 'FORMATS'

Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/gui2/device.pyo", line 422, in dispatch_sync_event
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'FORMATS'

So it looks like calibre isn't detecting the DX. What am I missing? (I can copy files over with the finder just fine!)
(BTW: Same result if I launch Calibre before connecting the kindle)

Thanks!
evandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Support for the DX is in the calibre 0.6 beta, not the calibre 0.5 series.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
evandy
Enthusiast

I'll give 0.6 a try then.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Be sure to get the latest one.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I have noticed a problem, however. When you try to send a PDF to the DX, it tries to convert it.

So far, I've not found a way to disable this or let it know the DX can handle the PDF.

Also, the comic conversion.... I'm still poking it, as I don't understand it enough yet to know if I'm screwing up or it is. Despite my telling it to retain aspect ratio, it always ends up wrong.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oops, forgot to tell it not to convert PDF. Will be in next beta. As for comic output, you mean that the converted comic doesn't preserve aspect ratio? Is that true even if you view the converted comic in the calibre viewer?
Old 06-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #7
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Yep. Both ways.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #8
evandy
Enthusiast

0.6 transfers. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:48 PM   #9
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Oops, forgot to tell it not to convert PDF. Will be in next beta. As for comic output, you mean that the converted comic doesn't preserve aspect ratio? Is that true even if you view the converted comic in the calibre viewer?
This needs to be a configurable option. Some people WANT the files converted on their Kindle DX so they can hilight, annotate, etc.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:29 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
This needs to be a configurable option. Some people WANT the files converted on their Kindle DX so they can hilight, annotate, etc.
If you convert the PDF to MOBI the MOBI will be sent to the device in preference to the PDF. And you can remove the PDf from the list of supported formats for the device by configuring the kindle device driver plugin.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:29 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Yep. Both ways.
OK can you opena ticket and attach a comic that when converted shows this behavior. I'll look at it the next time I have a moment.