Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-23-2008, 05:54 AM   #76
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'd not be happy if he signed with just Sony either. It's not about getting eBooks just for the device you happen to own. It's about getting eBooks in all formats so you can then have a choice of what device you want to won because the books are there for all of them.
I believe this the main point of this conversation.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:58 AM   #77
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Terry doesn't care about ebooks. He never cared. What interested him in Amazon's offer was what Amazon paid for the exclusivity. Terry isn't counting with ebook sales from the beggining. And in his mind, he is still not in the eBusiness. It was just extra money for an exclusivity in a format that he doesn't care about. Gr€at!
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2008, 07:24 AM   #78
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Monopols (or exclusivity) are never a good way of solving things.
More exclusivity on the Kindle *will* ruin eBooks. (And yes, that means Amazon = Evil). You dont have to believe me - but dont come running after it has happened.

To explain further: If more and more authors and publishers make exclusivity deals with Amazon, you wont have a chance of using another device but the Kindle (legally) - and always the newest version of it, because "compatibility between versions" is a no-no in marketing. It's a dystopie.

To use a comparison from Audio: Would you really like a world where only iPods and iTunes are available?
I dont like the iPod and iTunes. I like my ability to choose. And guess what: If Apple would have had too many exclusive deals for their products, we wouldnt have the nice development (swimming away from DRM, many products to choose, etc) we have now.

Last edited by tirsales; 08-23-2008 at 07:31 AM.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:27 AM   #79
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't understand. This book has been out in paperback for I think about 10 years.

BOb
The MMPB is a new release. IIRC, MMPB are the oversized paperbacks you see prominently displayed in the front of bookstores and at Costco/Sam's Club.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:37 AM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
The MMPB is a new release. IIRC, MMPB are the oversized paperbacks you see prominently displayed in the front of bookstores and at Costco/Sam's Club.
The MMPB is a bad idea. The main reason it was created was so that publishers could charge more for it. I know they claim that because it's bugger that they can use a larger font. But that's a load manure. It doesn't fit in bookshelves very well and it feels unnatural to hold. Plus the fact is that it just looks awful to read as well. It's just another way to get money from us. And given that eBooks are mostly based on the price of the current pBook edition, it's another way to cheat eBook readers out of more money.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2008, 08:52 AM   #81
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Personally, I despise MMPBs. Too big and floppy. Too expensive. Definitely just another publisher gambit to squeeze money out of readers.

If I were still reading pbooks I'd go for the standard issue paperbacks or see if the library has the book.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #82
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
FWIW I have read the Goodkind series and it is an OK series, nothing great. I think the Robert Jordan series is much better (excluding the last issued volume), as is David Weber's Honor Harrington series and his new series that begins with Off Armageddon Reef. Of course, the Honor harrington series isn't really in the same genre as Goodkind's but here is one I wholeheartedly recommend that is: The Firestaff Chronicles (http://sennadar.com/wp/books/, which also happens to be free. The author, James Galloway, could have used a good editor, especially for misspellings, but it isn't hard to overlook those errors.

I raise this because perhaps the best thing to do, rather than gripe about Goodkind, is to find alternative authors and praise them. Compare them to Goodkind and let the world of ebook readers know they can get great similar reads elsewhere (and in this case, for free) and in easily accessible formats. Nothing will irritate folk like Goodkind as much as strikes against their authorial vanity.

BTW, another series I recommend in this genre is The Rys Chronicles by Tracy Falbe (an MR member) http://www.falbepublishing.com/brave...ree_ebook.html. It certainly is of equal caliber to Goodkind's series.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:32 PM   #83
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

I thought Trade Paper Back was the larger size and Mass Market paperback was the smaller standard size?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #84
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
There's a third format out now that's neither "trade paperback" nor "mass market paperback."
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #85
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Terry doesn't care about ebooks. He never cared. What interested him in Amazon's offer was what Amazon paid for the exclusivity. Terry isn't counting with ebook sales from the beggining. And in his mind, he is still not in the eBusiness. It was just extra money for an exclusivity in a format that he doesn't care about. Gr€at!
Exactly my feelings about it.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:03 PM   #86
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
There's a third format out now that's neither "trade paperback" nor "mass market paperback."
eBook Reader?
Old 08-23-2008, 10:13 PM   #87
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Is Goodkind a big enough name in his genre to up the PR for the Kindle? I wasn't familiar with him until the threads here popped up... of course that means next to nothing.
Yes, he's pretty well-known in the Fantasy genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Well, Amazon also sells the Sony PRS 505 and the ILiad along with the Kindle.
Actually, the 505 on Amazon is sold by third parties, not Amazon themselves.

P.S. gotta love how Kindle pops up when you search for "Sony Reader" on Amazon.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:24 PM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Personally, I despise MMPBs. Too big and floppy. Too expensive. Definitely just another publisher gambit to squeeze money out of readers.

If I were still reading pbooks I'd go for the standard issue paperbacks or see if the library has the book.
If my library had the MMPB version and I requested it and got that one, I'd request the hardcover if they had it ot the trade paperback. I just find them nasty to read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:35 AM   #89
gandor62
Connoisseur
gandor62 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Ipad, Kindle 2
All I Can suggest here is buy the pBook and then look for an electronic copy. If you own the words then you should be ok. I have them all
gandor62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:35 AM   #90
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I have no problem in principle with a particular device doing its best to gain as much exclusive content as it can and so gain traction in the market. What riles me is when that device is deliberately restricted to a small percentage of the planets population, a percentage that I am not a member of. I guess I will just have to be happy with the tens of thousands of other books available. Sorry Terry, I cant buy your book. No I wont buy the p book because then i have to wait for it to be shipped out to me and pay extra duties and shipping costs when I don't want a bunch of paper. I want a book.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!