Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-09-2014, 12:33 AM   #1
setherd
Sleep Tech
setherd began at the beginning.

Device: andorid, nook simple touch
Calibre won't see my Android MTP device, File system sees it fine. (linux)

I have a new Moto G LTE (with SD card) and calibre doesn't see my phone most of the time.
the OS (Linux Mint 17) sees it fine if calibre isn't running.

If calibre is running, sometimes I get a device error and then calibre will see the device but as the job is running to look for books the job with end with an error of not communicating with it.

I'm not sure what to do. my ignored device list in calibre is empty.
the device interface plugin for MTP devices lists my phone. (it's not checked to be ignored)

anyways here's the debug log where you can see calibre can't talk to it.
Any help is appreciated!

Code:
calibre 1.43  isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Linux-3.13.0-24-generic-x86_64-with-debian-jessie-sid Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '3.13.0-24-generic', '#47-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 2 23:30:00 UTC 2014')
Python 2.7.5
Linux: ('debian', 'jessie/sid', '')
USB devices on system:
[['0x22b8', '0x2e82', '0x228', u'motorola', u'XT1045', u'TA95000QEG'],
 ['0x47d',
  '0x2049',
  '0x101',
  u'Kensington',
  u'Kensington Wireless Mouse for Netbooks',
  u'']]

No disabled plugins
Looking for devices of type: MTP_DEVICE
Unknown device USBDevice(busnum=2, devnum=6, vendor_id=0x22b8, product_id=0x2e82, bcd=0x0228, manufacturer=motorola, product=XT1045, serial=TA95000QEG) claims to be an MTP device
MTP devices connected:
USBDevice(busnum=2, devnum=6, vendor_id=0x22b8, product_id=0x2e82, bcd=0x0228, manufacturer=motorola, product=XT1045, serial=TA95000QEG)

Trying to open: USBDevice(busnum=2, devnum=6, vendor_id=0x22b8, product_id=0x2e82, bcd=0x0228, manufacturer=motorola, product=XT1045, serial=TA95000QEG)
Opening device failed:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/unix/driver.py", line 127, in debug_managed_device_detection
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/driver.py", line 123, in open
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/base.py", line 24, in synchronizer
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/unix/driver.py", line 196, in open
OpenFailed: Failed to open USBDevice(busnum=2, devnum=6, vendor_id=0x22b8, product_id=0x2e82, bcd=0x0228, manufacturer=motorola, product=XT1045, serial=TA95000QEG): Error: Unable to open raw device.

Looking for devices...

Devices possibly connected: None
setherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:00 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre simply uses libmtp on linux. Things to check:

1) You have correct permissions to access the device. Run calibre as root to check if it works

2) Nothing else on your system is claiming the device, MTP devices on linux can only be opened by one program at a time.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #3
setherd
Sleep Tech

hmm Could the file browser be considered taking ownership of it?

BTW I never had this problem with my nexus4 (but it broke)
Old 07-11-2014, 01:10 AM   #4
setherd
Sleep Tech

I ran calibre as root and the problem still happens. Nothing else is claiming it.
I plugged in my wife's Nexus 4 and it works fine.

I get an error message about MTP not knowing my device. and to email the dev's I'm not sure how that relates as Linux can see it fine.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:17 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you are getting errors with one device and not another, then that device is malfunctioning. Try resetting it, or use one of the wireless connection methods.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2014, 04:27 AM   #6
setherd
Sleep Tech

calibre companion works great. It's just I most often use calibre at work and the wireless network here doesn't allow the wifi connection.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:48 PM   #7
setherd
Sleep Tech

At this point I'm giving up. My device works fine with calibre in windows7. my old phone used to work with linux. maybe it's the sdcard in it.

edit: I took out my sdcard and calibre works fine. Could it be because the sdcard is slower at reading than the regular memory? it works fine in windows so i guess just something about linux and sdcards.

Is there a way to have calibre ignore the sdcard and just use the device memory????

Last edited by setherd; 07-25-2014 at 03:47 PM. Reason: new info
Old 07-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #8
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by setherd View Post
At this point I'm giving up. My device works fine with calibre in windows7. my old phone used to work with linux. maybe it's the sdcard in it.

edit: I took out my sdcard and calibre works fine. Could it be because the sdcard is slower at reading than the regular memory? it works fine in windows so i guess just something about linux and sdcards.

Is there a way to have calibre ignore the sdcard and just use the device memory????
Back up your sd card then run chkdsk and reformat it using FAT32. Had the same problem with my nook. After running chkdsk the problem was not as bad, did chkdsk and reformat that solved my problem.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:12 AM   #9
setherd
Sleep Tech

Thanks for the idea. I backed it up. erased and remounted it. still got the same errror.
I even checked the disk in linux and windows. still the same problem.
Just for fun I 'd like to get a new sdcard and see if changing cards helps.

Tags
linux, moto g, mtp