Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-06-2014, 06:50 AM   #1
Wrongway
Enthusiast
Wrongway began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 1, Kindle kb, Kobo Aura HD, kobo Mini
Reading position

I sometimes use the reader built into Calibre or use one of my other dedicated readers, Kobo, Kindle etc. Is there a way to transfer Calibre to reader my current reading position for a book and then transfer back the other way, reader to Calibre. I think epub format books keep the reading position and bookmarks within the file itself. I doubt I can bring the Kindle into the equation with being a different format. But I would like to know if it can be done with epub and how to do it.
Wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:09 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I do not believe this feature currently exists in calibre for any format or between different reading apps.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Cybook Diva
That, and adding this feature would mean finding out (and maintaining) how every reader devices and apps keep that information. The amount of work involved would be purely insane.

This will be possible the day manufacturers and standards drafters have a consensus on the way to do it, and implement it. I wouldn't hold my breath.
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
Wrongway
Enthusiast

Oh well, back to the current method I am using. Make a note of a phrase on the page I am up to. When I swap to another device, load the file and do a search for the phrase.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Theoretically, it would be possible with at least the Kobo eReaders. My Kobo Utilities plugin can store and restore the position from the device to custom columns in the calibre library. Translating that to the bookmark the calibre viewer uses, or the other way, should be possible. It just isn't something I've had any real desire to do.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2014, 10:07 AM   #6
Wrongway
Enthusiast

I'll have a look at the plugin. I am still on the lower end of the learning curve with the Kobo. Getting there slowly.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyx View Post
That, and adding this feature would mean finding out (and maintaining) how every reader devices and apps keep that information. The amount of work involved would be purely insane.

This will be possible the day manufacturers and standards drafters have a consensus on the way to do it, and implement it. I wouldn't hold my breath.

It would also need a cloud service to do the synchronising - I think. I know you can synch browser bookmarks across different platforms, but do they work between different browsers eg Firefox on Windows and Chrome on Android?

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

It would also need a cloud service to do the synchronising - I think. I know you can synch browser bookmarks across different platforms, but do they work between different browsers eg Firefox on Windows and Chrome on Android?

BR
Well, you can certainly import them from another browser. But bookmarks are standardized, I believe.

You could do without a server, if you have one device, e.g. calibre, that does a manual sync.

Has anyone ever figured out how Kindle annotations are formatted?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Well, you can certainly import them from another browser. But bookmarks are standardized, I believe.

You could do without a server, if you have one device, e.g. calibre, that does a manual sync.

Has anyone ever figured out how Kindle annotations are formatted?
I think each browser has its own synch feature - in Chrome it was in Personal Stuff, but I don't see that any more In Firefox its in Options. In IE it was via Live but that's morphed into Bing or something else, or it's also gone down the gurgler

I think you need something like XMarks to synch bookmarks across browsers. Surprise, surprise - Xmarks is from the same crew that does Lastpass, one of the better know password synch services. You have to install an extension/app wherever you want it. Yet another thing to go wrong.

If the mainstream browsers can't 'get their act together' without a third-party to mediate, then what chance e-readers.

BR
Old 04-06-2014, 07:12 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
IIRC Chrome's first option under settings is to sign into google accounts, which then controls all syncing.

I kept finding XMarks slowed things down, so I never really ended up using it. Are they as cross-browser as LastPass is?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
IIRC Chrome's first option under settings is to sign into google accounts, which then controls all syncing.
Yeah, I suspected it might be there - when I'm using chrome I don't logon on to google - I like to keep it vanilla pristine.

Quote:
I kept finding XMarks slowed things down, so I never really ended up using it. Are they as cross-browser as LastPass is?
That's what it says on the tin, but Xmarks is just one of several similar services - I saw one called Cross Browser - wasn't me that made it so

My bookmarks are fairly static, and I don't have nearly as many some people have, so I'm not bothered with synching them. I 'fixed' a machine recently that had 'zillions' of bookmarks, I asked owner if she really need them all, answer - 'probably not, but I don't have time to look at them all to decide which ones I don't want'

BR