Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #31
TheLongshot
Groupie
TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Some of my faves have already been mentioned, but Diane Wynne Jones should be mentioned. "Dark Lord of Derkholm" and "Howl's Moving Castle" are ones that I've read which definitely fit in the "light fantasy" category.
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #32
kdgarris
Connoisseur
kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
Adding my own recommendation now: The Princess Bride. I hadn't realized until recently that there was a book before the movie. I'm about half through it so far and am enjoying it.
kdgarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #33
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool hmmmm....

mail-order monster by linda joy singleton
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #34
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Elenium and Tamuli trilogies by David Eddings. The second trilogy follows on from the first.

Great characters and some very funny dialogue, all mixed up with a good story.

Recommended for a light read.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:24 AM   #35
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Barry Hughart _The Bridge of Birds_, _The Story of the Stone_ & _Eight Skilled Gentlemen_

George McDonald _The Light Princess_

Lord Dunsany will go back and forth from funny to horrific and may or may not suit, depending on your tolerance for Victorian sensibilities
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #36
TheSFReader
Groupie
TheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really nice

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
You might try Jim Hines' goblin books.

I believe the first one is Goblin Quest. It's a spoof on role-playing campaigns, complete with a character who feels compelled to map out the entire dungeon as they traverse it, but its also an engaging story in its own right. And the protagonist has a pet fire-spider.
I second that one.
If you want a little step into it, you can buy hi "Goblin Tales" book. I's a short stories collection around the "goblin" world. Totally worth it's 3$, and a way to check the water's temp before getting into it.
TheSFReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #37
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
"The Hobbit"
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #38
Jarulf
Connoisseur
Jarulf began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story hd, Nexus 4, Nexus 7
Lawrence What-Evans and his Ethshar books are about as light as you can get. While not comedies as such, they are books I have re-read when I'm really tired or not feeling well to cheer me up. For me they have been comfort-food, but I haven't read them in a while so my tastes may have changed.
Jarulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #39
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
If you like to read series try fictfact.com.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #40
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Liz Williams - Inspector Chen is not always light but definitely amusing.
I also like the previously mentioned Glen Cook and Simon R. Green.
Ben Aaronovitch - Rivers of London series
Derek landy - Skulduggery Pleasant (YA)

So many books....
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #41
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Two fantasy series I've enjoyed, both of which come liberally supplied with humour, are the "Rats, Bats and Vats" series by Eric Flint & Dave Freer, and "The War Gods" series by David Weber.

They should all be available at Baen and at least the initial book in each series is available free.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #42
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you can find them... James Blaylock's Trilogy (The Elfin Ship, The Stone Giant, and The Disappearing Dwarf) is whimsical fantasy inspired by (according to the author himself) Kenneth Grahame’s Wind in the Willows, Mark Twain's Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Brownies and the Goblins by Nathaniel Moore Banta, and illustrations by Arthur Rackham.

I never realized I had any whimsy left in me until I recently read these books. They're out of print physically and I've only ever seen them offered as ebooks from Gollancz' SFGateway—which unfortunately means they aren't likely available to US and Canadian customers.

If you like whimsy and you see them in a used book store... by all means, don't be afraid to pick them up.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:39 AM   #43
b0rsuk
meles meles
b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Magic Kingdom for Sale--Sold! - Terry Brooks

Just what it says on the cover. Genuinely amusing. The idea might not be terribly innovative, but it's very well executed. Caution: later books in the serries get progressively worse. I mean they get more bland and watered down, they feel stretched out with noting happening. You may want to save time and read something better instead.

Lyonesse - Jack Vance
A fantasy trilogy, very well written. Not strictly light-hearted, but has a good dose of humor in unexpected places. A blend of history, english folk tales, and Norse mythology. One that actually works and doesn't feel stitched together ! The book is full of pleasant surprises, although it has a bit of a slow start.
b0rsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:15 AM   #44
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
The "Chicks in Chainmail" anthology series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicks_in_Chainmail It's a humorous take on women warriors by various different authors.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:16 AM   #45
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Yes! Terry Pratchett's Discworld series is fabulous!
S
Anything by Terry Pratchet !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote