Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #106
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Amazon could then have a 10" "Ipad killer" at the $499 plus category. There is a lot more profit margin in that than the $250 7" category. Plus 10" is a lot better for showcasing Amazon's VOD service offerings.
Of course there is. The profit margin is always higher when you overcharge a product.

A 12" screen is even better; but neither size is very portable. I absolutely refuse to get a tablet larger than 7". If I needed 10", then I just use my netbook.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:41 AM   #107
Zanshin
Connoisseur
Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 4 (non-touch), Kindle DX Graphite, Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Of course there is. The profit margin is always higher when you overcharge a product.

A 12" screen is even better; but neither size is very portable. I absolutely refuse to get a tablet larger than 7". If I needed 10", then I just use my netbook.
Why do you think people buy 10" e-readers and tablets? Reading technical PDF files, magazines, comics, etc... is just not as good on a 7" display. It's just too small.
So maybe you don't need a 10" tablet but a lot of people do.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2011, 08:50 AM   #108
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
If I get a large tablet, I would like to be able to use a USB wireless keyboard (and mouse?) at times to make it function as more of a netbook when I travel.

I have looked at the combo units that some companies sell which are netbooks with a removable tablet portion... but I prefer typing on an unattached keyboard. I hope Amazon's tablet will work for me in this manner.

I am also hoping for a really long battery life and competitive pricing.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #109
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Android 3.1 , which is the new update that started rolling out a few days ago, has USB host function. So any Android device at 3.1 or higher will be able to use keyboards and mice.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:31 PM   #110
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Not just 3.1, my Android tablet with 2.x works just fine with a USB keyboard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Android 3.1 , which is the new update that started rolling out a few days ago, has USB host function. So any Android device at 3.1 or higher will be able to use keyboards and mice.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #111
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Not just 3.1, my Android tablet with 2.x works just fine with a USB keyboard...

right, sorry. thanks for clarifying. I meant Honeycomb specifically. HC 3.0 did not have the USB host support.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #112
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
There is no particular reason for Amazon to release an Android tablet because it would have to compete in the $500 and up space (and some of the larger screen sizes with decent onboard memory approach $1000). Meanwhile, Amazon's Kindle audience has been trained to play in the sub $200 and even sub $150 market. They also expect very long battery life. As nice a device as the KDX is, the 9.7" is lovely but the $389 price point is a barrier. Amazon would sell it for $225 if they could make a profit on it but it can't.

Android tablets with decent specs are all far out of the price range of the KDX, let alone Kindle 3 audience. Amazon will not be releasing a 7" or 10" tablet for $249 just to compete with B&N's Nook Color. At best, Amazon will find some way to deliver a very good e-book reading experience, that adds colour to embrace magazines and text books, and possibly rudimentary video. It is unlikely to do this with current LCD screens; this is where Mirasol may come in. It may make sense to add fully mp3 player to deliver audible.com content, perhaps editions enhanced with still pictures which play during the audio. Who knows?

But the thought that Amazon will deliver an Amazon-branded Android tablet can be discarded. Amazon does not make toaster ovens, wide screen TVs or Internet radios. It is focussed on selling other's physical goods and its own library of entertainment content. The Kindle e-ink readers filled a void and directly impact Amazon's ability to thrive in the content space. An Android tablet simply does not meet the barre for a business case within the company. It would be MUCH cheaper to simply do deals to ensure its Amazon Kindle app is pre-installed on any existing Android hardware that to try to commission, sell and support its own "me too" devices.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #113
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post

But the thought that Amazon will deliver an Amazon-branded Android tablet can be discarded.
I wouldn't discard it. In fact I would add a possible smartphone to the lineup.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #114
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I wouldn't discard it. In fact I would add a possible smartphone to the lineup.
Yeah, I agree. Bezos stopped just short of confirming that they do indeed have a tablet in the works. I'd say it's at least 95% certain that we'll see an Android tablet from Amazon this year. I'm hoping for a summer release, but it'll certainly be out in time for the holidays.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #115
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Yeah, I agree. Bezos stopped just short of confirming that they do indeed have a tablet in the works. I'd say it's at least 95% certain that we'll see an Android tablet from Amazon this year. I'm hoping for a summer release, but it'll certainly be out in time for the holidays.
If it's a $250~$300 tablet, I'm interested. If it's another overpriced $500 tablet, count me out.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:21 PM   #116
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd jump on a $299 10-inch tablet, even at $399. But at $499 I'd probably pass. I'm not that interested in a 7-inch tablet, but I'd give it a look if that's all Amazon brings out.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:40 AM   #117
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I'd jump on a $299 10-inch tablet, even at $399. But at $499 I'd probably pass. I'm not that interested in a 7-inch tablet, but I'd give it a look if that's all Amazon brings out.
You can already get an iPad 1 for that price.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:57 AM   #118
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
You can already get an iPad 1 for that price.
For $499, yeah. And I'll still pass because of the price and because of Apple.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:48 AM   #119
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Actually, carld, you can get an Apple® - iPad™ with Wi-Fi - 16GB at places like Best Buy in the US for $399. But now that the iPad 2 is out ... it still seems expensive, doesn't it?

And, Otterbooks, time will tell of course. But the likelihood that Amazon would also get into Amazon branded smartphones ... simply not going to happen. Amazon is not a CE company: it is a retailer of other people's goods and entertainment content.

Amazon is a very well run company with a clear vision of where it is going and how it got to where it is today. It is a conduit, not a manufacturer.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #120
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post

And, Otterbooks, time will tell of course. But the likelihood that Amazon would also get into Amazon branded smartphones ... simply not going to happen. Amazon is not a CE company: it is a retailer of other people's goods and entertainment content.

Amazon is a very well run company with a clear vision of where it is going and how it got to where it is today. It is a conduit, not a manufacturer.
As you said, time will tell, but those kids at Amazon are keeerazy. I think they have ambitions bigger than people realize. It was a CE product they released they changed an industry. They may very well just say "let's leave it at that," but I suspect otherwise. I was a bit surprised that they sell an Amazon DVD writer. edit: in fact they have an entire CE line called Amazon Basics: cables, batteries, SD cards, DVD/CDR media, antennae, remote controls..

Can't say much for the source, but it's interesting: Amazon.com Plans Whole Line of Android Tablets

Last edited by OtterBooks; 05-15-2011 at 10:58 AM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, color tablets, kindle