Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Gladiatrix, Russell Whitfield (Kindle)

I'm hoping this is the best place to put this, if not... oops!

I read Gladiatrix, by Russell Whitfield in DTB format several months ago and after I had finished it, I emailed the author and asked about whether or not it might ever be available in an ebook edition.

I had really liked the historic-fiction novel, a story set in Ancient Rome about a woman who, shipwrecked far from her native Sparta, is sold into slavery and was forced to fight in the area as a female gladiator (they were rare but they DID exist).

Whitfield replied to me very quickly, but was not sure about his book's ebook chances. "I really don't know about ebooks- I'm pretty sure that is not on the cards as my publisher is only really small and I don't think they'd invest in something like that. Best thing to do is drop them a line and ask the question- I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, these things are out of my hands."

I had explained to him all the benefits of an e-reader, especially the accessibility it allows for those who have difficulty with holding or viewing books (the paperback was 448 pages) but Whitfield said he'd let the publisher know, but he didn't know if it would be to any success given the size of the publisher.

In the mean time I kept clicking the I Want To See This Book in Kindle Format button.

That's the beauty about the new age of e-books isn't it? Indie authors now have a chance to make some sales, small publishers have an easier, cheaper way to reach out to audiences.

In August I received an update email from Whitfield saying that Gladiatrix would be coming out in ebook edition. This morning I received an email that the book, and it's sequel, Roma Victrix would be available on Kindle!

Yay for more ebooks to read! If you're into historical-fiction of Ancient Rome I'd definitely recommend this as your next read, but I had just also wanted to share this story with everyone. If you can contact the author about their works, try it! You never know what might happen.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote