Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
100 books in 2010 Challenge

At the start of the year I set myself the challenge to read 100 books (of 300+ pages for PB's or 200+ for ebooks) during 2010. So far I'm faring reasonably well, but it seems as if I'm losing momentum.

I'm wondering if anyone else would like to join me in the challenge? A bit of friendly competition might just be the inspiration I need to keep going.

All you need to do is keep track of all the books you finish and posting here when you complete a new addition.

I've found creating a Goodreads shelf called 2010-read to be the easiest method to keep track. Of course you would be welcome to use any method of your choosing.

Anyone willing to join me?

Last edited by Crusader; 03-13-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm in the 100+ Books Challenge on Goodreads, but my goal is 250 (and it looks like I'll go higher than that).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I'm in the 100+ Books Challenge on Goodreads, but my goal is 250 (and it looks like I'll go higher than that).
You make me sick...

BOb

BTW: I am totally kidding and bow to lilac's reading prowess.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To do this, I'd have to go an remember all I've read so far. I hope I can do that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #5
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Wow. That's a goal and a half.

I'm currently sitting on a mere 23 so far and keeping to around 8 per month is already enough of a challenge for me. Don't know how on earth you can do 20 a month!

Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post

I'm currently sitting on a mere 23 so far and keeping to around 8 per month is already enough of a challenge for me. Don't know how on earth you can do 20 a month!

Actually, both Jan and Feb I read 30 books I read a lot of short books though, that helps. And I read way too fast, which is not always a good thing.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post

I've only read 20 books since the beginning of January..
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I've only read 12 because I got behind thanks to a course I am taking. It ends in two weeks and I am looking forward to having that monkey off my back
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
I was originally going to go for 50, but 100 is feasible if I can manage to read 10 books per month from here out... not sure how that'll work out when I get into university in September though lol. Plus I'm just not that fast of a reader.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:24 PM   #10
Harryplopper
Harryplopper began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
I tend to read thick books(at least they were big before I got my Sony Reader) like George R R Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, and I'm planning on reading The Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F Hamilton next. Do I get any extra credit towards my 100 books? If not, I can't possibly win but I'd have fun trying.
Harryplopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #11
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
You guys have *way* too much time on your hands.

Since the first of the year I've managed to get 5 or 6 good sized novels complete. Though I've got about 6 or 7 I'm reading at the same time at the moment.

Think I'll just stand on the sidelines and watch this competition .
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:09 AM   #12
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I think that it might be a challenge to cut down to 100 books a year.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:29 AM   #13
CapnKirk
CapnKirk is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader Touch PRS-600
I applaud anyone who reads consistently in our modern society. I set goals for myself, and a friend and I read books together and meet weekly at a coffee shop to discuss them.

But may I make a plea for quality of reading? There's a lot of stuff that just not worth reading. Reading for entertainment (sci fi for me!) is great. But there's a lot of important books out there that don't get read and when they do, they aren't read well enough! Now definitions of "important" vary; I have mine, but my purpose here isn't to advocate a particular set of values. Booklists are easy to come by. I used to always read the Pulitzer Prize winners for fiction, non-fiction and history every year (until the choices became the "best politically correct" books rather than the best written....) on the idea that they represent someone's idea of great writing. There's Britannica's Great Books list; that's what I started out working on as a college student. Difficult books take time to read, and will often reward a second or even a third re-reading.

Make it your goal to include several "important" books this year.
CapnKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:35 AM   #14
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Why would you need to set goals? I read for enjoyment. If I don't feel like reading, I just don't, but that usually doesn't happen for more than a week per year
A goal would be to cut down on my reading, but even then, why set a goal like that?

Good luck anyway! I hope you achieve your goal and more!
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #15
lovelyloey
Enthusiast
lovelyloey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Gee, I used to be happy reading 52 books a year. You people are scary bookworms! Good choice on using ebook readers - if you buy paper books I can imagine you building your house out of books. :P
But this year I got an ebook reader and set a higher goal. I'm 30 books in since Jan, if I go at the same rate I should be able to squeeze in 100.
lovelyloey is offline   Reply With Quote