Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-25-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Catalogs & Custom Fields

Hi:

I have two questions regarding the catalogs feature, I did a search but I could not find anything on what I wanted. This may be due to my inability to use the correct search terms so please forgive my ignorance:

1. Is it possible to use the catalog feature to export custom fields in a csv file?
2. Is it possible to change the books included in a csv catalog after the catalog is created?
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Answer to #2: Yes,
Happens every time you re-make the catalog

It only takes a few minutes unless you have a really slow system or a really large Library.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Answer to #2: Yes,
Happens every time you re-make the catalog

It only takes a few minutes unless you have a really slow system or a really large Library.
So just re-make it with the new criteria? Can I drag books into it or delete the original ones from it?
Old 10-26-2010, 03:49 AM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
A CSV file is displayed and edited by another program like excel.
You can delete anything but cannot drag and drop from calibre
Best to just make another catalogue.
That way the catalogue is correct at the time you make it.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Ok, so does anyone know if it is possible to export data from the custom fields??
Old 10-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
calibredb list --help
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
calibredb list --help
I looked there and it did not offer any enlightenment to either of my questions. If I've missed it, please point me in the right direction. That was the first place I looked.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I looked there and it did not offer any enlightenment to either of my questions. If I've missed it, please point me in the right direction. That was the first place I looked.
You asked:
Quote:
Ok, so does anyone know if it is possible to export data from the custom fields??
The command calibredb list can export data from the custom fields. As the help says:
Code:
Usage: calibredb.exe list [options]
Options:
  -f FIELDS, --fields=FIELDS
                        The fields to display when listing books in the
                        database. Should be a comma separated list of fields.
                        Available fields: (... field names printed)
                        Default: title,authors. The special field "all" can be
                        used to select all fields. Only has effect in the text
                        output format.
For example, if you have a column named #foo, then
calibredb list -f *foo --separator ,
will output a (sort-of) CSV list of the foo field.

And yes, you must replace the '#' with a '*' when naming custom fields.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:20 AM   #9
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Thank you I will try that, although I must say as a non-programmer, semi-intelligent end-user I am uncomfortable using the command line since I do not know what damage I could cause. I would hate for my inexperience or lack of expertise to break something. Out of curiosity if this is available via the command line, why is it not available via the GUI??
Old 10-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Hi:

I tried to use the command line but I am receiving errors and I have no idea what they are or how to prevent them. Here is the output, is this due to the list being too big for the command prompt?

Old 10-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

The command box is running out of memory. The only way I know of to 'fix' that is to simplify the query. Use the --search option to limit the number of books in the list, then concatenate the results using some text editor. It will be easier if you make saved searches in the GUI, then refer to them in the command line using -s search:searchname. You will also save yourself some grief if you don't put spaces in the search names.

Another way to simplify the query is to ask for fewer columns, but that might make the query useless.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Or redirect it to a text file by appending

> output.txt

to the command
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Thanks guys but I think I will just have to stick with the GUI on this one and export the fields and then just manually input the custom fields as I have been doing. I appreciate you trying to help me with this, but in my limited experience and knowledge it might not be worth it to take this any further with the command prompt. After all I am just looking to get a csv file in order to import my new ebooks into my master database program which has all my books in it.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #14
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Thought I'd get in on this. This was my parameter list:

calibredb list --fields authors,title --sort-by=authors --separator=; --line-width=500 --ascending >F:\database.txt

I can open the output of the above with PSPad and print it as is. This gives me what I want except I get an ID column that I can't get rid of and I can't figure a way to sort by both author and title.

Any ideas?
Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #15
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
Thought I'd get in on this. This was my parameter list:

calibredb list --fields authors,title --sort-by=authors --separator=; --line-width=500 --ascending >F:\database.txt

I can open the output of the above with PSPad and print it as is. This gives me what I want except I get an ID column that I can't get rid of and I can't figure a way to sort by both author and title.

Any ideas?
Regards - John
Try using catalog instead of list. Use the CSV format.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote