Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-13-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
chaznsc
Connoisseur
chaznsc began at the beginning.

Device: Mine
Wife wants a Kindle - Few questions

My wife wants a kindle, or is considering one anyhow. She has a few questions that I thought you folks would know detailed answers to.

1 - Can she do RSS feeds on the device?

2 - Can she put her own content on it? Like PDF reports, etc?

3 - Does it handle PDF's?

4 - Will it handle any other formats?

Is there a charge for loading on anything other than kindle books? I thought I read they charged a dime for something.

Thanks in advance, and I hope the question is acceptable.

chaz
chaznsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaznsc View Post
My wife wants a kindle, or is considering one anyhow. She has a few questions that I thought you folks would know detailed answers to.

Yes but it will be a bit tedious to do through the browser on the Kindle. It would be better to via Calibre to create RSS feed "newspapers" and transfer them to the Kindle via USB cable (free) or have them emailed from Calibre to the Kindle automatically via Whispernet (15 cents per MB)

Quote:
Yes, she can load personal documents onto the Kindle via the USB cable or Whispernet (at a cost). See below for PDF info.

Quote:
K2 does not read PDF files natively Kindle DX does. For K2 if the files are mostly text, they can be converted into Kindle's native .azw format. There is also a hack called Savory that will allow PDF files to read on K2 without conversion. There is also software called PDFRead that will convert the PDF into a Mobi book with most of it's formatting intact (each page becomes an image).

I'll let the folks with the Kindle DX address the strengths and weaknesses of PDF support on the DX

Quote:
Native
.azw (the Kindle version of .mobi)
.azw1 (aka Topaz)
.txt
.mobi and .prc (unprotected MobiPocket = no DRM)
.aa and .aax (Audible.com audiobooks)
.mp3 (you know what those are)

Need conversion

.doc (MS Word files)
.pdf (this is still and experimental conversion, if the document is heavy on charts, graphs and tables it won't turn out well but mostly text documents will be fine)
.jpeg
.gif
.png
.bmp
.zip (the zipped file itself is not converted but you can zip a bunch of documents together and send to Amazon for conversion)

Pretty much any format except Sony's proprietary LRX can be converted for use on the Kindle. See the following wiki page for more information: Kindle HowTo: File Conversion

Quote:
Is there a charge for loading on anything other than kindle books? I thought I read they charged a dime for something.
Only for sending personal documents (non-Kindle books) via Whispernet.

Quote:
Thanks in advance, and I hope the question is acceptable.

chaz
If you click through the links in my sig, you'll find a lot more information on the Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
PDF support on the Kindle DX is extremely weak - I think that one would be hard-pressed to come up with any "strengths" . No hyperlinks, no table of contents support, no searching, no annotation, the "no" list goes on and on, I'm afraid.

If you want a large-screen device and PDFs are important to you, the iRex devices (iLiad and DR1000) are currently really the only practical choice when it comes to eInk.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
chaznsc
Connoisseur

I am certainly no expert, but it would seem that Amazon could slam the door by making this device more inclusive of other formats, including PDF. For some folks, books and technical documents are critical.

The whispernet is a real edge, or so it seems. The sony has better broad support for PDF's etc. Amazon has the best book prices, or so it seems, definitely the largest store. Just seems they could really pull over a lot of other users by making it more appealing.

Maybe Kindle 3 will do that

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by chaznsc; 07-13-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
For your own content on a K2, the only option is the MOBI format (which the Kindle calls AZW). Amazon has an e-mail conversion service, which costs $0.15 per MB if you want Amazon to send the result directly to the K2 but is free if you instead get it back via e-mail. It is always possible to transfer DRM-free (unencrypted) MOBIs to the K2 via USB from any desktop computer. There are several other ways to format shift to MOBI, with Calibre (has its own forum here) being the most general.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
chaznsc
Connoisseur

These are very interesting and informative responses. Thank you all for the time and patience.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
PDF support on the Kindle DX is extremely weak - I think that one would be hard-pressed to come up with any "strengths" . No hyperlinks, no table of contents support, no searching, no annotation, the "no" list goes on and on, I'm afraid.

If you want a large-screen device and PDFs are important to you, the iRex devices (iLiad and DR1000) are currently really the only practical choice when it comes to eInk.
For PDF usage I believe it comes down to what the use case is. For the education market and maybe the technical market the points Harry raises are right on target.

For myself, my use is primarily business type cases such as journals and other misc. business documents where I'm typically consuming the content without a large need for detailed reference and note taking. For this class of user it still works very well and has saved me from printing and carrying quite a bit of material.

It all depends what your specific need is in relation to PDF's.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #8
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
"on the device" -- maybe, but it will be unsatisfactory trying to use the XML content of the feed itself. There are three options for getting RSS-based content onto the Kindle:
1 - Use Calibre.
2 - Create a "newspaper" at Feedbooks.
3 - Use KindleFeeds

Quote:
Kindle DX does, Kindle 1 & 2 do not.

Quote:
Yes. For Kindle 1 & 2, she'll have to convert PDF files to a format supported by the device. Two tools come to mind -- Mobipocket Reader/Creator or Calibre. You can also send the PDF file to Amazon for conversion; this is experimental with a hit-or-miss result.

I have a number of plain text files that I transferred to my Kindle. One of these is used for a "note pad" in that I create notes associated with this text file and then capture the results in the MyClippings file, update the original text file, then transfer the new version to my Kindle.

Quote:
The Kindle(1) User's Guide says, "The computer file formats that you can read or listen to on your Kindle are listed below:
• Kindle (.AZW, .AZW1)
• Text (.TXT)
• Unprotected Mobipocket (.MOBI, .PRC)
• Audible (.AA)
• MP3 (.MP3)"

I don't think that the K2 added any additional support for file types.

Some people have experimented with using the Experimental browser to read HTML files held on the file system of the Kindle.

Quote:
Kindle(1) User's Guide says, "Amazon will convert the files if necessary and send them back to your computer for free or wirelessly to your Kindle for a small fee, whichever you prefer." And, "you can have Amazon convert your personal documents into a Kindle compatible format for reading on your Kindle. You can have the converted files sent directly to your Kindle for a small fee or to your default Amazon e-mail account for free. In addition to the file formats listed above, you can also convert other personal documents to read on your Kindle. The supported file formats are listed below:
• Microsoft Word (.DOC)
• Structured HTML (.HTML, .HTM)
• JPEG (.JPEG, .JPG)
• GIF (.GIF)
• PNG (.PNG)
• BMP (.BMP)
• Compressed ZIP (.ZIP)"

Note that although not listed Amazon will convert PDF files, but makes no guarantee as to the effectiveness of that conversion.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I forgot to add .rtf as a file type that Amazon will convert for use on the Kindle.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
I am certainly no expert, but it would seem that Amazon could slam the door by making this device more inclusive of other formats, including PDF. For some folks, books and technical documents are critical.
Just so you understand, for most uses of pdf many people find that pdf isn't acceptable on a 6 inch screen.

Larger screens seem to work fine (Kindle DX for basic pdf's and iRex for more full function capability). However, some folks find that the larger screens are more cumbersome than they want to use for daily reading of pleasure novels.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #11
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
I love my DX for reading PDFs. It saves me a lot of frustration in that I no longer have to carry around a stack of file folders or binders of printouts.

Would I like to have more features? Yes, of course. But I'm not one of those complaining about it not being an e-ink version of Skim. Just being able to read so many different PDFs in one very portable device is great!

I should point out that I'm lucky enough to have been able to keep my K1 when I bought my DX, so I do mostly still read novels and such on my K1. On books I've bought through Amazon, the sync feature has proven to be a real boon. I can start a book on my DX, move to the K1 (which I'm more likely to take with me when I go out and about), and then, at night, even on my old iPhone that I keep by my bed that I use like an iPod Touch, the text is sync'd to right where I left off. Very sweet.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #12
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio717 View Post
I love my DX for reading PDFs. It saves me a lot of frustration in that I no longer have to carry around a stack of file folders or binders of printouts.

Would I like to have more features? Yes, of course. But I'm not one of those complaining about it not being an e-ink version of Skim. Just being able to read so many different PDFs in one very portable device is great!

I should point out that I'm lucky enough to have been able to keep my K1 when I bought my DX, so I do mostly still read novels and such on my K1. On books I've bought through Amazon, the sync feature has proven to be a real boon. I can start a book on my DX, move to the K1 (which I'm more likely to take with me when I go out and about), and then, at night, even on my old iPhone that I keep by my bed that I use like an iPod Touch, the text is sync'd to right where I left off. Very sweet.
Well, I guess you can't have everything in one device, but you can try. There are a ton of home grown apps that allow you to add some nice features to your Kindles, so a lot more is possible if you are willing to learn some things and add these softs.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:13 AM   #13
Acextreme
Enthusiast
Acextreme began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindorsey View Post
Well, I guess you can't have everything in one device, but you can try. There are a ton of home grown apps that allow you to add some nice features to your Kindles, so a lot more is possible if you are willing to learn some things and add these softs.
Hmmm, since you mentioned that there are a ton of home grown apps, would you be able to kindly direct me to such sources? Pardon me but I am relatively new to the Kindle community and only just a few weeks ago ventured into telnetting into my Kindle DX's internals and tweaking around a little here and there. I am still learning about the possibilities of enhancing the Kindle, and your help would be greatly needed and appreciated.
Acextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:21 AM   #14
storysmith
Well Connected Old Fart
storysmith began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad (both) - Motion tablet - EB1150
Bought a Kindle DX.
Nice design, good engineering...

Well familiar with ebooks.... This is my 6th ereader... including 2 by iRex, Sony, and the ebookwise readers both large and small.

Used a tablet from Motion before the Kindle DX for full size pdf's.
Kindle is OK... but only OK.

Flat file software does not allow you to segregate by class, function, or other category... all ebooks in the kindle are 'equal.' Annoying, but liveable. just plug the Kindle in and update the new reading, so the index is not so full.

Not so with iRex... standard file folder type organization well familiar to every PC/Mac/Linux user. iRex has shorter battery life compared to Kindle. PDF reader is significantly better.

Kindle DRM... is a deal killer.
I'm a professor... so I do a lot of reading...and use an ebook reader not only for pleasure reading but for keeping up with 9 professional journals.

I've got literally hundreds of mobipocket books from Baen, Fictionwise, Mobipocket, Powells, and others... WHY CAN'T I USE MY MOBIPOCKET BOOKS...(oh... yes, I can download the unprotected ones...I know... but I have MANY protected mobipocket books... Why can't I use them? And then...1984 yanked remotely...

Buyer... Beware... There are some bad choices here.

This is lock in situation... hardware manufacturers go out of business/change their minds... Look at Barnes/Noble and their first ebook reader for an example. Look at Fictionwise's recent problems with a software vendor.

I'm not recommending the Kindle till Bezos becomes less controlling, despite the awesome hardware design. Don't need another Orwell type situation. I'll not recommend the Kindle till Amazon opens the Kindle... I don't want to lose an investment in books simply because an executive feels that it's more profitable with 'this software' rather than 'that one'... particularly when they own both!

Oh... KindlePID and KindleFix work... and MobiDeDRM works... but they are awkward and time consuming...I'll let the legal folks talk about fair use vs DeDRM... after all Amazon's terms of service don't say I lease the book or rent the book - It's MY book... but the workarounds are still slow and clumsy. And Amazon has more control issues here.

Thumbs Down. Get the iRex big screen... heavier, somewhat shorter battery life, But no DRM issues, better file organization, less controlling management, relatively open architecture. Significantly better pdf reader.... the iliad just didn't do pdf's well, but the 1000S does.

This was originally a review of the DX posted in Amazon.
This review is cross-posted in MobileRead so that Amazon can't '1984' it.
storysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by storysmith View Post

Kindle DRM... is a deal killer.
I'm a professor... so I do a lot of reading...and use an ebook reader not only for pleasure reading but for keeping up with 9 professional journals.

I've got literally hundreds of mobipocket books from Baen, Fictionwise, Mobipocket, Powells, and others... WHY CAN'T I USE MY MOBIPOCKET BOOKS...(oh... yes, I can download the unprotected ones...I know... but I have MANY protected mobipocket books... Why can't I use them? And then...1984 yanked remotely...

Just out of curiosity, since you've been a member since here for a few years, didn't you know about Amazon's DRM before you purchased the DX?