Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-22-2010, 03:39 AM   #1
angelbleu
Enthusiast
angelbleu began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Bold
Question Can you read non-Kindle books on Kindle for iPhone/PC/BlackBerry?

I know that you can manually copy MobiPocket-formatted files (such as the fantastic ones available through the MobileRead e-Books page) directly from your computer to your Kindle.

However, is there a way to read these on the "Kindle for iPhone/PC/BlackBerry" versions?

In my opinion, one of the best features of the "Kindle for iPhone/PC/BlackBerry" versions is how it syncs your books and the last page you've read between your devices.

Is there a way to make this work for non-Kindle(manually copied) books too? Or is this a feature exclusive to books purchased from the Amazon Kindle Store?
angelbleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:06 AM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
I am quite certain that the synching only works for ebooks purchased from Amazon and not for any content you load yourself onto the Kindle. I also know no way of loading your own ebooks into the Kindle iPhone app. You can use your own mobi ebooks with the Kindle and Kindle for PC however.

Perhaps someone knows of a workaround for this though?
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 06:34 AM   #3
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbleu View Post
However, is there a way to read these on the "Kindle for iPhone/PC/BlackBerry" versions?
Kindle for PC takes over the .mobi file association when you install it, so it will become your default reader for .mobi files on the PC. Sadly it won't synchronize non-Amazon books across platforms.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Kindle for BB does work with your own MOBI ebooks (just copy them to your memory card under /kindle/eBooks/), see Kindle For BlackBerry Now Available For Download. A similar approach also works on an iPhone, but you have to use 3rd party software to get the MOBI files in the right directory.

Your own MOBIs don't synchronize across platforms.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
What the others say.

Also I don't know how wireless sync the books. But I am able to keep my books synced by manually copying the ".mbp" file between the kindle, PC, BB, iPhone will keep the book in sync ( just for the bookmarks and current page).
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
What the others say.

Also I don't know how wireless sync the books. But I am able to keep my books synced by manually copying the ".mbp" file between the kindle, PC, BB, iPhone will keep the book in sync ( just for the bookmarks and current page).
Are you doing that for your non-Amazon books?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Sure, that works for non-Amazon books. What only works for Amazon books is the "whispersync."
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Sure, that works for non-Amazon books. What only works for Amazon books is the "whispersync."
That I know. I just wanted to confirm =X= wasn't going through this exercise for his Kindle books as well.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #9
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
That I know. I just wanted to confirm =X= wasn't going through this exercise for his Kindle books as well.
Gotcha!
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean, do you mean PDF? Or purchased Amazon books.

This doesn't work for PDF, but it does work for MOBI and Topaz books

Right now I only have one purchased Amazon book and that syncs all by itself, unless when I'm behind a firewall, then the copy mdp works.

I really don't do this all that much I just noticed this feature when I copied all my kindle books to my Kindle 4 BB and I noticed the pages and bookmarks where sync'ed.

=X=
Old 02-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
I'm getting the feeling I've not left you with a favorable impression in the past. =X= =>
Old 02-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I'm getting the feeling I've not left you with a favorable impression in the past. =X= =>
Not at all! You know you rock. You keep trying to show me the way and I just want to return the favor.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:18 PM   #13
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Not at all! You know you rock. You keep trying to show me the way and I just want to return the favor.
LOL! you know I'm just messing with you.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:16 AM   #14
angelbleu
Enthusiast
angelbleu began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Bold
Thanks for the info, wallcraft!

I've just uninstalled MobiPocket Reader from my BB; I much prefer the Kindle interface!

Shame that the WhisperSync feature doesn't work for your own books...
angelbleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #15
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
You can still read other books, I do. Convert to needed format, and you are good to go.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote