Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #46
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornIdiots View Post
Yeah, oddest thing ever. I was fooling around with the usb mode and looking around in daigs mode to see what there was. I did get that comment saying the .xml was missing, which I realized I had deleted in order to attmpt to replace the files with the originals, but when you delete things from other drives they don't go to your recycle bin...
I did a dump and some stuff too so I created a .xml and areport. Anyway, it was plugged back in and literally a minute ago it just randomly booted back up and it's back like it was before. I'm not sure if this means there's something unseen & currupt though. Anyway, I'll take a look around with using it and if it seems fine I guess I'll try the jailbreak again.

Just to make sure though: what precisely do I do with the data.tar file? According to the above I just have copy it (without unzipping). Does it matter if I enable my system to display all file types?
1) The reason they did not go into your recycle bin is not because it was on a different drive, but because it was on a different machine.

2) No, just as long as you can tell the difference between a file named data.tar and a file named data.tar(hidden: .gz) by looking at it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #47
waterlubber
hobbyist
waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 4 NT (Non-Touch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Kalja:

* If it's rebooting, chances are, indeed the screen will be frozen during the reboot process.
* Don't reboot with a custom .bin in the userstore
* If you never saw the Jailbreak screen and/or book, then, of course it didn't work, which explains the U007 failures.

I still don't have a K4. Someone care to double-check?
@NiLuJe: it is in fine working order!
waterlubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #48
jonnyt
jonnyt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Kindle HD Fire
K4 jailbreak battery depleted in 115 - 16 hrs

Hi Everyone

This is my first post here and I'd like to thank everyone here for all the information and guides (and patience with all our noob questions )
Well I read what I thought was enough about the kindle 4 non touch with firmware - 4.1.0 installed and registered, but have come a little stuck & confused,
So I thought I would get rid of the crappy screen savers.
I used the :- kindle-jailbreak-k4-1.5.N from this site. I read the read me files 10 times before install. Then held my breath and created the 3 files "data.tar.gz", "ENABLE_DIAGS" and "diagnostic_logs" in the root of kindle.
Then ejected and followed the rest of the instructions from read me file until the last Q to quit and the kindle took for ever to restart. Eventually saw the jailbreak screen and the jailbreak file appeared in the content screen. wow I did it then got a wee bit nervous when I found that airplane mode was turned on throughout the jailbreak, so I decided to turn it off a leave it for today.
When I tried to turn the kindle on this morning I was greeted by a battery sign saying connect to usb charger. 10 mins of charge and it started up again Pheww.
So question is when reading uninstall instructions it says
"it is recommended that you first uninstall a+le and copy the uninstaller .bin to the Kindle's USB drive's root"
My question is what are is a+le , and is this likley to cure my battery problem
Thanks in advance Jon Happy new year to you all
jonnyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #49
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyt View Post
Hi Everyone

This is my first post here and I'd like to thank everyone here for all the information and guides (and patience with all our noob questions )
Well I read what I thought was enough about the kindle 4 non touch with firmware - 4.1.0 installed and registered, but have come a little stuck & confused,
So I thought I would get rid of the crappy screen savers.
I used the :- kindle-jailbreak-k4-1.5.N from this site. I read the read me files 10 times before install. Then held my breath and created the 3 files "data.tar.gz", "ENABLE_DIAGS" and "diagnostic_logs" in the root of kindle.
Then ejected and followed the rest of the instructions from read me file until the last Q to quit and the kindle took for ever to restart. Eventually saw the jailbreak screen and the jailbreak file appeared in the content screen. wow I did it then got a wee bit nervous when I found that airplane mode was turned on throughout the jailbreak, so I decided to turn it off a leave it for today.
When I tried to turn the kindle on this morning I was greeted by a battery sign saying connect to usb charger. 10 mins of charge and it started up again Pheww.
So question is when reading uninstall instructions it says
"it is recommended that you first uninstall a+le and copy the uninstaller .bin to the Kindle's USB drive's root"
My question is what are is a+le , and is this likley to cure my battery problem
Thanks in advance Jon Happy new year to you all
16 hours of having the Wifi on is a reasonable length of time to run the battery down.

The Amazon quote is 1/2 hour a day to give their estimated battery life.

They also note that is with a strong Wifi signal and that the Wifi module will draw more power (discharge the battery faster) with a weak Wifi signal.

Plus - you don't mention how old your K4 battery is.
It may not have all of its original storage capacity now.

I will have to go with "operator error" on this one (not any specific hack that is installed).
Learn to turn the Wifi off before putting the device to sleep.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:40 PM   #50
jonnyt

Hi knc1

Thanks for that and was turned off completly with the blank screen.
The Kindle is about a week old so the battery should be ok, at least I know to leave it with wifi off in future, as for the signal it was sat 1.5 - 2 meters away from the router.
I thought I'd bust it real quick but will leave it for tonight and see in the morning.
Cheers for quick reply
Jon
Advert
Old 12-31-2012, 03:02 PM   #51
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyt View Post
Hi knc1

Thanks for that and was turned off completly with the blank screen.
- - - -
Jon
The only way to turn a Kindle completely off is to remove the battery.
It only has two modes: run and sleep.

Does not matter what is shown on the screen.
That is a stable image. Displays just fine even months after removing the battery.
Only time it uses power is while it is changing.

Now the Wifi (and 3G) - that is a different story - those radios don't go to sleep - you have to turn them off.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:33 AM   #52
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
You can turn a kindle "off" (according to the Kindle manual) by holding the power button for about 7 seconds until the screen turns white (i.e. blank screen). It was discussed in another thread that this is really just "mostly off" because some circuitry still draws a small standby current. This "off" mode uses much less power than run or sleep (screensaver) modes.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-01-2013 at 01:39 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #53
jonnyt

Thanks guys for the info, I had a look this morning and the battery is still fully charged. Maybe I'll Look at the screen saver hack later when i regain the confidence, Because if If I brick it so soon the misses will be a little mad Lol.

Thank again Jon
Old 01-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #54
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
I've made a little improvement (apart from localizing to Czech): The install script sets the bootmode to main and reboots just before exit - that alone makes the installation as simple as on 4.0.1, no diagnostic_logs needed.
I've also added 10s countdown to the jailbreak screen.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:57 AM   #55
nevergreen
nevergreen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4.1.0
hi all, i'm a new holder of a brand new K4 (4.1.0 black) and probably posting my question in the wrong section but: i want to set my own screensavers, i applied this jailbreak which installed successfully but now i don't know how further?
  • just copy the scr folder from the archive and do update on my kindle then i'll should be able to put there my images?
    or
  • i should follow as many thread say about the procedure with putty, 192.168.15.201 >>> 192.168.15.244?
    i wanna mention that i tried that procedure before this jailbreak and connection was refused ...

and another question, there is still a valid method to register without the adds?

thank you in advance and apologize if i posting in the wrong section.
nevergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:08 AM   #56
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
So is it an SO supported kindle then?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:06 AM   #57
nevergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
So is it an SO supported kindle then?
yes, it's a special offer's kindle,
what i need to do to have my own screensavers and (eventually) a registered kindle without adds?
Old 02-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #58
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Pay for the ads to be removed, The SS hack specifically has a large indicator that it will not work on SO kindles. Then it should all "just work."

HTH

Quote:
Note for Kindle Special Offers Users:

This doesn't, and won't ever, help you bypass something you agreed to (screensaver ads), so please stop asking.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #59
nevergreen

good, i un-subscribed the special offer and now i have a free Kindle, what should i do now to get my screensavers.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #60
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergreen View Post
good, i un-subscribed the special offer and now i have a free Kindle, what should i do now to get my screensavers.
Follow the instructions in this thread. BTW, You would have found that thread on your own if you went to the "Master Index" sticky thread, selected "K4", and looked under "Hacks". Or if you simply searched the forum for "screensaver".

This is just a friendly reminder that you are expected to invest at least some minimal effort before asking others to solve your problem for you.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, k4nt