Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-13-2012, 05:24 AM   #16
lovelygirl
lovelygirl began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by injapan View Post
I have just bought the new iPad and are thinking about covers etc for it. I would be very interested in what you others think (ESP people who have had an iPad for a while) about whether to get a cover for the screen (see though cover)
I have heard that its not necessary. I would appreciate your opinion

I suppose what I am asking is, just how strong, hard is the iPad screen? Is it easy to scratch?
Thanks very much
i think covers to ipad is like clothes to people, it can protect the ipad very well, so i chose it...
lovelygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #17
Aenea
Zealot
Aenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: iRex iLiad
When I was on holiday I managed somehow to get a scratch on my iPad2's screen. No clue what happened, but am afraid there was something hard, a piece of rock maybe, in the cleaning cloth since I noticed it after cleaning the screen.

I never expected this to happen to be honest, but it did...
Aenea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #18
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
I've managed to get a few minor nicks on mine. It may use gorilla glass, but from what I understand there is an oleophobic coating on top that is soft enough to develop scratches under the right circumstances.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #19
Rangepath
Rangepath began at the beginning.

Device: HP Ipaq 214, BeBook;Prs-600
My thinking is the same so I bought a screen protector for my ipad 3 the same sort as is on my wifes ipad 2. It wasnt cheap at just under £30, but I could only bear to keep it on for a day. The great ipad3 screen was made very hard on the eyes it negated all the advantages of the brilliant screen. So I removed the protector and I am now very carefulto make sure the screen is looked after.
Rangepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:44 AM   #20
missjane
missjane began at the beginning.

Device: (kobo touch) (kobo glo) kobo aura 2nd ed
I've had an ipad 1 for a little over 18mo, used without a screen protector, in a house with two kids, and no screen damage to date. I am careful with it, but the kids do use it and so far, so good. Mind you I have a friend whose screen looks like it's been sandpapered. I'm not sure what her kids get up to that mine don't, but whatever it is, don't do it. Actually, I really am pleasantly surprised at how shmick the unit still looks after this much time and really quite constant use.
missjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #21
boydcarts
Connoisseur
boydcarts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi, iPad2
"shmick" ?
boydcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:33 AM   #22
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
All the Apple employees I've spoken to don't recommend it. Personally I just have a smart cover. Works well for me.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #23
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
After responding to an earlier offer in this thread for a free cover I found myself the lucky recipient of a luxe model iPad cover (in black).

The cover was shipped quickly and took less than two weeks to arrive in Canada. Since getting mail sent from across town where I live can take a week I figure that's pretty fast.

Initial impressions of this cover are very good. It covers both the front of the device and back of the iPad.

The front consist of a semi-rigid "smart cover" similar to the ones you see from Apple but the back of your iPad is protected by a high impact plastic, formfitting, integrated back cover. The interior of the Luxe is a soft microfibre type material that protects the device and keeps it clean.

The quality is great and the functionality superb. Does a very good job in protecting the case without adding a lot of bulk. The magnetic on/off works as it should and the variety of positons supported for typing and viewing makes this a versatile cover indeed.

My previous cover was a Targus VersaVu that I bought at the same time as my iPad. A nice case but added a lot of bulk which made it really "fidgity" when holding to read etc.

The Gecko cover provides the same protection but is a lot easier to hold.

I'm very happy with the cover. We're planning to upgrade my 1st generation iPad in a few weeks and will probably buy a Gecko cover for it.

http://www.geckocovers.com/apple-ipa...luxe-p-87.html
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #24
kiwikobo
Enthusiast
kiwikobo doesn't litterkiwikobo doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Same here on screen protectors. I used on on my first ipad1, but have now got bored and removed it. No covers on two ipad2s and ipad3. I do always use the hard gel cases though, to protect the backs (and protect one ipad's screen from the next). Most significantly, the ipad2 and 3 I find uncomfortable to hold without a gel cover, because of the sharp edges and difficulty holding it with one hand without touching the screen (which turns the page).
kiwikobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:10 AM   #25
missjane
missjane began at the beginning.

Device: (kobo touch) (kobo glo) kobo aura 2nd ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by boydcarts View Post
"shmick" ?

shmick
smart/glamourous e.g."You look shmick!"

to dress up e.g. "We're going out soon - time to go get schmick!"

Maybe this is an Australianism?
missjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #26
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
Gecko is a company who produces covers for a variety of tablet devices. They occasionally post in MobileRead forums and recently posted that they had some covers for the new iPad to be reviewed. I was more than pleased to receive one of their covers and write the following review of it:

"Review of the Gecko Luxe Cover for the new iPad 3.

Though the new iPad is extremely similar in shape/size and style to the iPad 2, it is also slightly thicker (to accommodate the more powerful battery). This means that any cover/case/holder designed for the iPad 2 just might fit the new iPad, but it will not be a correct fit and will cause some problems with being too snug. Another difference is the magnet polarity incorporated into the Smartcover. The iPad 2 was forgiving of the +/- polarity but the new iPad is not. The magnets have to be exactly correct or the smartcover will not function properly.

Some dealers are selling covers which they claim are designed for the new iPad, but actually are just a carry-over from the iPad 2. This is why it's great to have a company like Gecko produce an exact-fitting case for the new iPad. Apple's latest tablet is an incredible device and it's great to have an equally good cover to go with it!

Gecko's Luxe model fits the new iPad like a glove fits a hand! The back of the cover is a solid rigid plastic which is perfectly contoured to snap firmly against the iPad's backside. It has all the cut-outs in the exact locations so as not to cover the on/off switch; the speaker; the earbud jack; the camera; the microphone; the multi-rocker controls; and the main Apple input jack. Though the back of the cover curves around the iPad's curves correctly, there are also two locations where it latches a bit further to insure a firm grip on the iPad.

The Smartcover is hinged to the back and is a matching synthetic leather material. The interior of the cover is a gray velvet which offers a smooth feel against the front/screen of the iPad as well as complimenting the overall look of the cover. As mentioned, it has the magnets with correct polarity to trigger the iPad's on/off function as the cover is opened or closed.

The design of the Luxe model is multifunctional, allowing the cover to be used on a desktop or tabletop in several viewing positions. This holds the iPad in an easel position, giving you a couple options for the viewing angle. When used in this manner the iPad is displayed with enough strength and firmness to allow the user plenty of freedom and control of the touchscreen. The easel-style design of the cover is quite well-thought-out, offering style as well as function.

If any faults can be found, it's the way the cover hinges. When it is opened, it does not lie flat against the iPad's back. It protrudes out just enough to make it less than ideal to carry around… especially in the portrait mode. Because of it's protrusion, it also makes it somewhat difficult to type on the keyboard when used in the portrait position. The opened cover forces your hand from gripping close enough to type with ease. I found myself pushing the backside away from the iPad so my left hand could make a close grip. I believe if a person's main purpose is to walk around holding the iPad in a portrait position (which is what the medical profession and inventory personal normally do) then the Gecko case just might not be the best design for that.

Overall I enjoy the Gecko Luxe cover and am proud to have it attached to my new iPad. It looks great on the new iPad and it functions superbly (disregarding the one fault I mentioned). I have another cover which I had been using… it is now gathering dust since the Gecko has taken it's place. The Luxe cover I have is an attractive shade of red (not too bright, not too dull). It compliments my white iPad well. The Luxe is also available in white or black.

I highly recommend the Gecko Luxe as a valuable accessory for your new iPad!"

Please take a look at it here:
http://www.geckocovers.com/apple-ipa...luxe-p-87.html

Last edited by pphilipp; 05-08-2012 at 11:39 AM.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #27
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am getting an Oberon Cover for my IPad for Mothers Day. (The Hubby has learned that just because the baby is still in me does not mean that he gets to skip Mothers Day. Baby Boy might not be here for him but he has been a day to day presence with me for the last 8 months and has 4 more weeks to go. Mommy gets her Oberon and a nice dinner).

Actually, the Hubby thinks I bought an IPad so I would have an excuse to buy another Oberon cover. That was true for the K3 but the IPad is far to expensive for that to be the only reason to buy one....

I love my Oberon covers. They are a work of art. They are made in the US by a small family business. They are bit heavier, but I am cool with that. They look great, feel great, and are distinctive. Love them, love them, love them.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #28
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
I had a combo anit-glare/screen protector on my original iPad; it worked well, though I didn't much like what it did to the appearance of the screen. My wife has a screen protector on her new iPad, but I didn't bother putting one on mine, and I've noticed that hers is much more prone to picking up fingerprints than mine is. They both clean up well with a microfibre cloth, but mine needs it far less frequently.

HTH Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:58 AM   #29
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
PowerSupport Crystal is considered the best brand of screen film for iPad. You really can't even tell it's there.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:17 AM   #30
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by injapan View Post
I have just bought the new iPad and are thinking about covers etc for it. I would be very interested in what you others think (ESP people who have had an iPad for a while) about whether to get a cover for the screen (see though cover)
I have heard that its not necessary. I would appreciate your opinion

I suppose what I am asking is, just how strong, hard is the iPad screen? Is it easy to scratch?
Thanks very much
Dropping your IPad and cracking the screen is not an experience you want to have, especiall for the amount of money you've spent buying one! Regardless of what others may say, do you really want to take that chance?

I think its foolish to use a cheap-o cover, spending a little extra is well worth the money here.

I invested in an Oberon,

http://www.oberondesign.com/iPad.php

and have dropped mine twice now, granted not long distances, but still.........protection is there....they are made so that there is a small border around the entire IPad giving extra protection. Its a small American owned company, with excellent customer service.

I dearly love the "smart" cover..........but it won't protect the device if dropped.

As for the screen, forget the silly "screen protectors".......I use these. Cheap, easily tucks into pocked of covers, and works great. No liquid needed.

http://www.amazon.com/MagicFiber-Goj...6630440&sr=8-2
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote