Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
drMerry
Addict
drMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-650
Request: Last acces

Hi,

At this moment there are a lot of date-fields:
Date (added)
Pub-date
Last edited

I would like to have a field with last access date / time.
This is not necessarily last view - moment (would also be a nice field)
The last access field would contain the last moment there has been a request on a book.
This is my current usecase:
I have 17500 books without ISBN
I select 1500 books
I run ISBN-check on it
I get 450 new ISBN-numbers
I want to select the next 1500 books (without setting a isbn-checked label for example). (This could be right now, but also tomorrow (when I do not know my last checked file).

The date should be changed on plugin-runs
On edit-screen
But IMHO not when a book is selected (this is also an access moment for pane-info but this would reduce usability of this field a lot)

Is this (already?) possible?
drMerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Just use a custom column temporarily with a yes/no whether you have scanned it, and delete it when done.

Or use the row numbers in the library view, sorting by some criteria that remains constant. If you are adding more books in the meantime, sort by date added so the new books are in the last batch.
kiwidude is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
drMerry
Addict
drMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmos

yes, that would do for this use-case I think,
But consider this usecase:

I have 100 books same author / same title / same format / different size.
This books need to be checked if they are the same or not.

Without changing metadata, (other than access-time) I want to know if these books have been checked.
The books are perfectly sorted (so author, title, tags are fine).
If there is a difference between the books (resolution, color, textual, layout) I'm fine with it and want to keep them as they are.
If there is no difference (e.g. size was different because of one book having comments repeated twice) I want to delete the book and not bother any more.

If I could see the last access time, I would know if I did or did not check it already.

(And yes, I can think of more cases that would (at my site) be a good reason to have this field).
Old 05-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I still think a custom column is better for that situation too. Something like "last accessed" is too fragile. What if for any reason you got sidetracked and looked at some other book for some reason. Instantly it is going to become part of your "last accessed" set.
kiwidude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
drMerry
Addict

alright.
How about a auto-set field?
Does more or less the same, but could be user configured when field is updated (so you could say after plugin-access, after plugin-x-access, after edit)
Or where users could exclude events to update this field.
Would that be an option?
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by drMerry View Post
alright.
How about a auto-set field?
Does more or less the same, but could be user configured when field is updated (so you could say after plugin-access, after plugin-x-access, after edit)
Or where users could exclude events to update this field.
Would that be an option?
I just made a Tag field QC
At the end of a check, I select all (the blank square above rows (it needs an icon),
Bulk edit, add custom Tag value <short name for check>

Interestingly, some books have many flaws
As I fix/OK (a single short story does not need a 3 item TOC ) them, I can clear the Tag.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
drMerry
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I just made a Tag field QC
At the end of a check, I select all (the blank square above rows (it needs an icon),
Bulk edit, add custom Tag value <short name for check>

Interestingly, some books have many flaws
As I fix/OK (a single short story does not need a 3 item TOC ) them, I can clear the Tag.
This is more or less the same as kiwidude told.
I;m looking for a more automatic way to set a permanent flag (== a flag that is not cleared after a calibre restart). But that does not affect 'real' info like labels, title, author.

The last access option would also give more info than just a true-false flag (Like: what books have not been touched last year (and may be not useful to keep)