Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-23-2009, 08:00 AM   #1
okalyddude
Enthusiast
okalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enough

Device: E600
Anyone know how highlighting and dictionary work?

Hi, I was watching the few videos available, and find it hard to believe so many people are pre-ordering these with so little information. Is there a demonstration video I am missing? ( I have seen the advert, and a few short hands on, showing very little)

I want to know HOW the highlighting works. I have seen it done, but the camera never shows the bottom portion, where the person is actually doing it.

Is there just a little dpad, you click left, right, and a cursor moves from word to word?

Does it copy the text down to the touch screen, and you can click on the word there? (this would be ideal, if you could scroll through the page up and down on the touch screen, highlight what you want, copy, or annotate, or dictionary)

Anyone seen how it is actually done?

I'm on the fence between the PRS 600 and the Nook, but don't really want to wait for the nook, or take the big risk that something will be wrong. I am out of the country, so will have to have it shipped somewhere in the US, then shipped to me, and by then won't be able to return it in the 14 days.

For me, text highlighting isn't a massive deal, but dictionary would be very very nice. So would customization. This leads me to ask about hacking / customizing / user firmwares etc... I know it's possible on the 600, they're trying, and it's harder than older sonys, but these types of people are persistent (and I love them for it) and I would really like to add things like offline wikipedia, translators, tweak the dictionary, tweak shortcuts, better folder / ebook management.

Same thing on the nook. The current ui wasn't really shown well in the videos, but looks very inadequate. They suggest you can have 10,000 books or whatever, then you should have to either use a touch screen keyboard or scroll through book / author with your thumb, both are not ideal. prs 600 isn't exactly ideal, but at least has collections, which you can tweak to your needs.

I guess I'll probably buy the 600, wait to see how the release of the nook goes, how people hack the android, and if they make real use out of the touch screen. I wish the e-ink part was touch screen, so highlighting and dictionary lookup was practical, but maybe people will hack it and put in all the things they should do:

wifi web browsing
footnotes, art, etc on the bottom
a clock?
better folder support
good highlighting, maybe a 'mouse' you can move around (slowly), or just copy the text to the touch screen to highlight it.

I dunno. But if you're going to make something 'open' and using android, you might as well come out and just make it easier for developers to make and sell add ons / customization. But I suppose they run the risk of people making it too easy to do illegal things, which the publishers want to avoid at all costs.
okalyddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
Pappy_01
Pappy_01 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs600 or Nook
Don't know if this is relevant but
Quote:
only content purchased from B&N can be annotated on nook at this time.
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...p/402491#M1003
Pappy_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy_01 View Post
This is strange, since Kevin made no mention of that restriction when saying that sideloaded content was only partially supported. He said that those books wouldn't be part of the B&N bookshelf and would sync with other devices, but no mention of not being able to annotate. I wonder why that is.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
okalyddude
Enthusiast
okalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enough

weird. another thing thatll have to be hacked... prs 600 looking better,,,
Old 10-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
This is strange, since Kevin made no mention of that restriction when saying that sideloaded content was only partially supported. He said that those books wouldn't be part of the B&N bookshelf and would sync with other devices, but no mention of not being able to annotate. I wonder why that is.
Why he didn't mention it or why is won't work on the November release? If the second question I suspect it is only a learning curve issue. eReader will be the supported content on the original release with the recent Adobe contract implemented as an addon late in the game. I suspect there wasn't time to full integrate the full functionality into the ADE product before release. I expect a second release in January or February to correct these early shortcomings and to support the new DRM scheme available from Adobe in that time frame. Not everything is instant.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
He was referring to all non-BN-purchased content with regards to annotation, or at least that's the way his response appears. I'm curious as to why he didn't mention this when discussing the incompatibilities with titles purchased from eReader.com and Fictionwise, since it seems like a fairly big incompatibility. I'm also not sure I get why the software would disallow marking up text purchased from a non-BN store, since text is text, right? Not syncing that text, well that makes mores sense.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:19 PM   #7
TrendyGuy
TrendyGuy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook 3G, Kobo
Have fun trying to read the PRS-600. Make sure to try the e-reader out before buying it. I had one but returned it due to there being so much glare on the screen it was unreadable. I read near a table lamp I have, nothing special just a normal lamp, couldn't see a thing unless I held the reader at a very annoying angle. The glare will probably be even more annoying with a reading light.
TrendyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:43 PM   #8
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Thought I would bump the thread.

I'm curious as to how the highlighting and dictionary work, too.
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
You can't get a real answer to this question until the nook comes out...
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #10
okalyddude
Enthusiast

Yeah, I got a prs 600 - Still trying to decide if I'm annoyed enough with the glare.... I really like the device otherwise - dictionary is easy to use and convenient, easy to set up collections and books, search is nice, bookmarking works.... but yes, the glare can be annoying. Usually, it just involves turning it slightly, or using a different light, but you shouldn't have to do that....

Maybe i'll get a chance to look at a 505 and compare the two glares, see if it's really so much worse...
Old 12-15-2009, 05:38 PM   #11
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Just wanted to point out that highlighting and the dictionary works with side loaded eBooks.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote