Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-21-2009, 04:40 AM   #1
symphone
symphone began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Cheap Solution for PRS-505 Protection

I got a black tin case from Taobao.com which cost me RMB20 (=$4), with a cool appearance and exact fit, I think it's a economical solution for 505 protection.

Unfortunatetly, it's only available in China so far due to Taobao's operation and delivery concern, but u can also find such boxes with a size 20cm*14cm*1.8cm as the mentioned one to answer your needs.

http://item.taobao.com/auction/item_...999d5f117dadc2

Last edited by symphone; 03-21-2009 at 04:48 AM.
symphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:17 AM   #2
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
What a great cover! Why don't you sell internationally, for eg. on eBay.com or iOffer?
You will get many customers. How much is one?
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:03 AM   #3
symphone

Ooooo。。... I'm just one user and share my experience here, not the vendor. Otherwise, it's not so reasonable that the shipping cost will be more than the case's price (4 USD) for international deal.

Of course, if someone have interest in, I can help to contact the vendor.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:11 AM   #4
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

You can buy stock from the vendor and sell yourself on eBay or iOffer.
Many people will be interested in this product, because the box fits the Sony Reader perfectly and the price is reasonable. You can sell it for $8 or something, maybe even more.
Also the site is all Chinese and no-one likes to go through a middle man. Maybe I would be interested to sell them, if I got a good price for bulk purchase.
Does this box fit Sony PRS-500, 505 and 700??
Old 03-21-2009, 06:27 AM   #5
symphone

Wow, your suggestion sounds so tempting, maybe I can try.
I'm satisfied with it to my 505, it's portable, tight and can really take a bump, esspecially, it's cool!
What is the size of 500/700? the same as 505?
Old 03-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
ozan
Enthusiast
ozan began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-505
This looks EXACTLY what I would like to have for my 505. My boss is in Shanghai right now. Let me send her an e-mail and see if she can grab one of these for me

Thanks for the link!
ozan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
ozan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by symphone View Post
I got a black tin case from Taobao.com which cost me RMB20 (=$4), with a cool appearance and exact fit, I think it's a economical solution for 505 protection.
It looks like I'll be getting two of these sometime in April. A friend in Shanghai will order them and the boss will transport two for me

From the google translation page, the taobao site appears to be a Chinese auction site, correct. Is there anything special about the site/services that I need to tell my friend other than "create an account, buy two and send them to me"?

Thanks again!
Old 03-23-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
dragonbone
must love dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by symphone View Post
Wow, your suggestion sounds so tempting, maybe I can try.
I'm satisfied with it to my 505, it's portable, tight and can really take a bump, esspecially, it's cool!
What is the size of 500/700? the same as 505?
Exact size with cover on 180 x 130 x 17mm

(This is the size of the 505 without cover on a wiki page, 6.9" x 4.8" x 0.3" (175 x 122 x 8mm))

So perfect size of the box/cover will (more or less) be about 190 x 140 x 25mm.
What is are the exact measurements of your box?

P.S. As far as my suggestion is concerned, the Sony PRS-505 is sold in many countries, so if you opened an eBay account and Paypal account and shipped to worldwide, you could make a nice business!

Last edited by dragonbone; 03-23-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:19 AM   #9
spirit_wolf
_^^~
spirit_wolf is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad 2, PRS-505, PRS-600
Hi, this hard-shell case looks great--just what I need to carry my 505 in a backpack or protect it when not in use. A friend in Taiwan is going to send me one--if she wants to remain my friend.

I wonder if a 505 inside a "Tuff Love" case will fit in this tin case?
spirit_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:13 AM   #10
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
Yes a nice compact one. What is it made of? Pure leather? Is the covering on the screen hard enough to protect it?

Do you think how much would it cost with shipping? Will they ship here in the US?
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:46 AM   #11
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Today I made a protective case for my Sony 505. A couple of days ago, the reader was inside my daypack, in its leather cover, when the pack fell to the floor. Fortunately, it only dinged the edge.
It was time to get some better protection!

I wanted something that would give it bomb-proof protection while inside the front pocket of my daypack but still be easy to take the reader out and put back in while walking. To me, this means that it has one open end and I can simply slip the reader into the case and have it completely protected. I wanted it to be lightweight, but still give solid protection from knocks, falls, bumps, etc.

I went to a large computer department store and found a selection of soft protectors made for notebook computers and chose two different 'clam-shell' models. I chose one that was made from closed-cell neoprene, like a 5mm scuba diving wetsuit, and one that was made from even denser sorbothane with a nice nylon outer skin. Sorbothane is the rubber that they use for wrestling mats and high quality shoe insoles. It isn't 'spongy' as the neoprene is but it completely absorbs shock. They say that you can drop a raw egg on a wresting mat from chest height and it won't break.

Neoprene absorbs vibration, and sorbothane absorbs shock.
I cut two pieces of hard thin plastic called 'kydex.' I could have used plastic walls from an old file box, but I had the kydex in my hobby closet and it's stronger. I cut it to the size and shape of the Sony reader. Placed between the neoprene and the sortbothane, it will stop impact.

The neoprene case was just about the exact size to fit the Sony 505. One piece folded over with a zipper going around three sides. It was just a little bit long which was fine with me. I cut one end off, cutting through the zipper, cutting it to fit just about 1/2" longer than the reader. I zipped the other two sides closed, removed the zipper pull, then applied a coating of 'Shoe-Goo' rubber over the zipper to fasten it forever. This left me with a pocket for the Sony, opening at the top.

The sorbothane case was similarly shaped but larger. I put the neoprene case inside, cut the sorbothane down to fit the size of the neoprene case, and glued the sides together, again leaving just the top opened. I put one piece of the kydex plastic between the neoprene and the sorbothane on each side.

So now I have the neoprene case inside the sorbothane case with the tops opened so I can slip the reader in its own leather case down inside. This only makes the reader less than 1/2" bigger in all dimensions, which is acceptable to me. It still fits easily into the front pocket of my pack. I can take the reader out or slip it back into the case easily. I glued on a strip of Velcro so that the open end can be secured if needed. Total cost: about $30 USD and 20 minutes work.

It's not pretty, but my e-reader is now protected from small arms fire or impact with a cruise ship, and I think that it should last me a long, long time!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #12
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Today I made a protective case for my Sony 505.
*snip*
It's not pretty, but my e-reader is now protected from small arms fire or impact with a cruise ship, and I think that it should last me a long, long time!

Stitchawl
Very cool design idea. I have decided that all of my planner cover types were to bulky and the hollow book didn't work that well and the DVD case didn't provide enough protection, os I went at it again. I basically made a slipcover for the stock cover, inspired by Juggle4Evr's cover. I took a cheap composition book (you know, the ones with the black speckled covers) and cut the stitching to take the paper out. I the measured the size of the Sony cover on the front and back covers, marking them with a pencil. I then measured 5/8" up and down from the end markings on the front and back. I cut the side of both covers off and then scored the horizontal lines at he top and bottom of the stock cover marks and the secondary marks. I then folded them over and glued them together, making the general box that a slip cover is. I took the scraps that were cut off and glued them to the outside of the front cover to add some reinforcement for the screen. As a final aesthetic touch and extra protection, I glued a metal plate that came on the front of my Texas Chainsaw Massacre DVD to the front. I the covered the rest of the exposed cover with black electrical tape. It may look a bit ghetto with the tape but it is barely bigger than the stock cover but it seems like it will do the job well. I will post pics later when I remember to bring my camera home from work.

I plan to try to make a slipcover like Juggle4Evr made but I plan to see about using old motherboards for the plastic as the polycarbonate should be plenty rigid and add another level of geek love to my favorite gadget.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:38 AM   #13
loc_141
Enthusiast
loc_141 began at the beginning.

Device: pBooks
hey folks, have a look at my soft case thread in the flea market forum
loc_141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:37 AM   #14
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by revfish View Post
[SNIP]
I plan to try to make a slipcover like Juggle4Evr made but I plan to see about using old motherboards for the plastic as the polycarbonate should be plenty rigid and add another level of geek love to my favorite gadget.
Two motherboards and 5-6 stand-offs should make a pretty sturdy protector. Are you going to cushion it in any way? If so, I recommend neoprene rather than open-cell foam. 3mm of neoprene give the cushioning effect of 3/4" of open-cell foam. 3mm of Ensolite would even give more if you can still find the stuff!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:34 PM   #15
ozan
Enthusiast

I received two of these cases today. A friend of mine brought them for me from Shanghai.

I dont have the reader with me at work today, so I cant try it or take pictures, but I'll post something tonight.

First impressions: It looks and feels cheap (just like the price); so, I am not surprised. It is a bit more flimsier than I thought and the both boxes have few dents on them already. This should work fine for protecting the reader in my laptop bag. I wasn't expecting anything more.

Pictures to follow up tonight