Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Plug-ins not working in 0.8.44?

I've just upgraded Calibre from 0.8.41 to 0.8.44, and I've run into a serious issue: File type plug-ins don't seem to be working any more. I use "The Tools" to convert Amazon AZW files to Mobi, but, after the upgrade, an AZW file is imported to Calibre as AZW (with DRM intact); it's not being converted to DRM-free Mobi.

I've reverted to 0.8.41 and the plug-ins are once again working as expected.

I'm not asking for assistance with DRM-removal, obviously, but has anything changed in 0.8.44 which would "break" the file conversion plug-ins?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anyone know where I can download 0.8.42 or 0.8.43, to find out at what point it "broke"?
Old 03-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Anyone know where I can download 0.8.42 or 0.8.43, to find out at what point it "broke"?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/calibre/files/
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks. I'm trying 0.8.43 now.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Well, that's very odd.

Deleted the books I'd added, upgraded from 41 to 43, re-added the the books, and it all worked as expected. I then deleted the books again, upgraded from 43 to 44, re-added the books again, and it STILL worked, so panic over.

I wonder if there's something strange about the 41->44 upgrade that breaks? Oh well.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

To test it, just bought another new book from Amazon, added that to 0.8.44, and it worked fine, so whatever the problem was it's definitely solved now. How very odd!
Old 03-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I was going to say... I've experienced no problems with 0.8.44 in this regard. Glad to hear you got it working eventually, though.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There have been no changes to the file type plugin infrastructure in *very* long time.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
dhopcroft
dhopcroft began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, iRex
This is strange, I Just upgraded and am having problems.

I got some new ebooks from Amazon today. I want to strip drm and convert to mobi for my irex. But I get messages about PIDs not benig found. If I try books I have converted in the past then these also fail.

I went back to a version of calibre 8.23 which was about what I was using before and still no joy.

I aso restarted calibre many times reinstalled the plugins nothing has worked. I will now try removing all converted books and see if this fixes my problem.

BTW this was on the MAC OSX version.
dhopcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There have been no changes to the file type plugin infrastructure in *very* long time.
That's what I thought, but it was as if the plug-in wasn't being used at all - the book just came straight into Calibre as an AZW file, with no attempt to "process" it via the plug-in.

Oh well, one of life's mysteries .
Old 03-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
dhopcroft

OK I have just made a totally fresh install this time on a windows machine.

Calibre 8.44 & Tools 5.0

I am still getting requests for a PID. even on books I have converted successfully in the past.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sounds as if the plug-in isn't configured correctly. You need to read the "readme" files that come with the plug-in. We can't assist you with that here.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
dhopcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sounds as if the plug-in isn't configured correctly. You need to read the "readme" files that come with the plug-in. We can't assist you with that here.
Shouldn't need configuring unless I have a kindle device. I use the iPad and mac software readers.

However

I did reaed the document again and saw the bit about importing using the command line.

Looking at the output, on the windows version It seems it cannot find files kindle.info and .kinf files. I am guessing I have not installed the kindle application on windows yet. This might be my problem on the MAC maybe after the upgrade Calibre lost the kindle.app location references.

I'll try installing kindle on the PC and see if this fixes my troubles.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #14
dhopcroft

OK Installed the calibre 8.44 tools 5.0 then downloaded the pc version of the kindle app, synced it with my account and now all is well. I can convert all my books to .mobi (and view them in calibre, so it looks like DRM has been removed.

My guess is this latest version of calibre has managed (in some cases) to loose the reference to the kindle app (windows and Mac.) I will check tomorrow if I can fix the Mac OS X version by following the above procedure and reinstalling kindle.app

fingers crossed.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhopcroft View Post
My guess is this latest version of calibre has managed (in some cases) to loose the reference to the kindle app (windows and Mac.) I will check tomorrow if I can fix the Mac OS X version by following the above procedure and reinstalling kindle.app
Whatever you discover this is not the place to discuss it further.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote