Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
rocketcat
rocketcat began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
PDF to PDF conversion creates much larger file?

Hello!

I was having some problems with some PDF files on my Nook Color, some would have pages show up as just large red Xs. It was suggested to me that I should convert these to PDF again through Calibre to fix this. I did, and it did fix the file. However the file size was increased dramatically, in one example it went from a 8.73 MB file to a 230.2 MB file. I can't fit all these files on my microSD card now because it went from less than 1 GB total to almost 6 GB!

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a setting to output lower file sizes? Why is it making it so darn huge? :/
rocketcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Sticky post: Read this before Posting PDF Questions
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Let me guess, you are using OSX and calibre version 0.8.18 or older? If you are, upgrade and try again.

Quote:
Release: 0.8.19 [16 Sep, 2011]

Bug Fixes
  • PDF output on OSX now generates proper non image based documents

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-25-2011 at 09:26 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
There was a bug in 0.8.19 and 0.8.20 which causes this issue on other platforms a well. 0.8.21 (should be out on Friday) will correct it.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
There was a bug in 0.8.19 and 0.8.20 which causes this issue on other platforms a well. 0.8.21 (should be out on Friday) will correct it.
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:03 PM   #6
rocketcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Let me guess, you are using OSX and calibre version 0.8.18 or older? If you are, upgrade and try again.
OSX? Is that Mac? Nope, I'm using a PC. Windows 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Other platforms? So this doesn't involve a fix for Windows? I'm confused as to what you mean by that.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketcat View Post
Other platforms? So this doesn't involve a fix for Windows? I'm confused as to what you mean by that.
He said the fix will be in the next release.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:43 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
and there's a hint that 8.17 or earlier will work, if you don't want to wait for 8.21.

PS all the old version are still on-line for download, somewhere.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:13 AM   #9
jayh3
jayh3 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
8.21 works fine! Thanks.

Last edited by jayh3; 09-30-2011 at 03:40 PM.
jayh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:19 AM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayh3 View Post
8.17 works to convert Epub to PDF, but the last 2 updates do not work. 8.20 converted a 500 kb Epub ebook into a 500 mb PDF ebook???? Please fix. Thanks.
If you read a few messages back in this thread you will see that this is a known issue and has already been fixed for the 8.21 release. If you run from source you can get the fix now, otherwise you will have to wait until this coming Friday for the 8.21 release.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #11
jayh3
jayh3 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
I was converting Epub to Pdf and felt that the problem may have been different than converting Pdf to Pdf.
That is why I posted. 8.21 does fix the problem.
jayh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #12
rocketcat

Updated to new version, tried converting a PDF, still outputs huge files. Went from a 12.3 MB file to a 310 MB file.

Still on a PC, still running Windows 7. :|