Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Exclamation need help:I broke my kindle

try to install <Bypassing the screensaver entirely on suspend> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=113709, changed /usr/bin/powerd. also installed freedownload hack<https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121008> after a succesful upgrade it did not open saying " kindle need repair"
I'm not in Us so I cannot send it to amazon.
(actually the bypassing screen saver hack is not installed properly. I forgotten changing it to default after that.)

The good thing is I installed Doukan before. I can open with it. Maybe fix with replacing original /usr/bin/powerd?

the bottom line is that Can I edit system files of original Os on doukan???(ssh ,usb ? )
or anything (like an upgrade file of amazon) to get original back?

(I shouldn't use this hacking stuff so much)

my kindle is kindle3w with 3.1.(jb, usbnetwork installed)

if I use a linux pc can I see the the system files?

Last edited by thomass; 04-25-2011 at 02:32 PM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
There should be a way to switch to ethernet over USB with duokan, yes. Can't remember on which key it's bound to on the switch screen, though. Check the keycodes in the script.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
There should be a way to switch to ethernet over USB with duokan, yes. Can't remember on which key it's bound to on the switch screen, though. Check the keycodes in the script.
switch screen? could you explain...
your relaed post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...33#post1443333

Last edited by thomass; 04-25-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:51 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
On the screen where you press whatever key that let you boot Duokan instead of the Kindle framework, pressing 6 instead should switch to usbnet. I have no idea if there's any feedback shown on the screen, but I doubt it. It should, however, be pretty noticeable after plugging it to a computer Shiny cdc_ether network interface instead of mass storage .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:21 AM   #5
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
thomass,
If you will not success with UsbNetwork, I think you have another way to restore powerd:
1. Prepare unmodified powerd file and create rundk.sh script file which will copy powerd to it original location (I have prepared it for you, see attachment, but I not checked it):
Code:
#!/bin/sh                                                                       

mntroot rw
[ -f /mnt/us/powerd  ] && mv -f /mnt/us/powerd /usr/bin/powerd
sync
mntroot ro
shutdown -r -F now
2. Enter recovery mode (Hold down [Enter] while rebooting) and choose "E -> Export over USB". Very important note: Do not try Reset to factory default or other options in recovery menu. You will damage your Kindle much more than now.
3. Connect Kindle to computer via USB cable. Copy powerd file to root folder. backup file DK_System/bin/rundk.sh. Copy our rundk.sh script to DK_System/bin
4. Reboot Kindle and choose to run Duokan. It will run rundk.sh and restore powerd. After this Kindle will reboot. you must choose to run original Kindle software rather Duokan. If all OK, restore rundk.sh from backup.

Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: zip files.zip (29.4 KB, 285 views)
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
I have prepared it for you
very kind of you. Just the thing I've been searching for two days.

Quote:
Very important note: Do not try Reset to factory default or other options in recovery menu. You will damage your Kindle much more than now
unfortunately I did this before noticing this reply
thanks anyway for your efforts so far.
I should've wait. very very sorry for that...
I found a very very complicated way on http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...r=asc&start=40 . It is far beyond my sight.

I managed to damage my kindle badly. first broke Kindle Os. then pressing home button on restart,and writing "RESET" deleted the Doukan. Finally using pretty U button froze it to a screen which says: Please wait a moment while your Kindle starts up"

my plan: buy a kindle with broken screen, then replace mine, hope it will work

Last edited by thomass; 04-26-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
thomass, In any way, try my solution. In paragraph 3: Create DK_System/bin folder and place in it rundk.sh, and powerd into root folder.
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
If you download the Kindle firmware from Amazon's site, can you reset the Kindle that way?
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #9
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
thomass, In any way, try my solution. In paragraph 3: Create DK_System/bin folder and place in it rundk.sh, and powerd into root folder.
ok if I could, I'll try. The problem is that Kindle is frozen now, not respond to power button. (only the green light)

bhartman36: there are two problem for this. firstly Amazon don't do that. (only upgrades) secondly I couldn't reach to Kindle's system part.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
thomass
Wizard

very amazing

I just had a conversation with my bad english with amazon. after that they said they'll send a replacement to Turkey!!!
Actually I had no hope before the conversation.

I love this firm

on the phone I said that its all my fault, I reset my kindle by formatting on boot screen. He just make me try a hard reset. then it didn't worked. Then he said I'll get an mail about replacement!... What a wonderful customer service!...

edit:the only problem is that they can't send to Turkey. (which is not a big one ) I'll provide an Us address
funny thing is calling amazon is the last thing I've done to repair the kindle

Last edited by thomass; 04-27-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:56 AM   #11
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Okay. Now take the next hacking a bit slower and enjoy just reading for a while.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Okay. Now take the next hacking a bit slower and enjoy just reading for a while.
thanks for the advice

I think I 'll just use "the necessary " ones (for the beginning ) .
I'm really get used to ssh . I don't want to use Usb cable to transfer my book(or other thing) into Kindle every times. it really works perfect. Also its good to have an ability to use free small apps(Sudoku, calculator, ..)

However this time I'll be careful, I promise

Last edited by thomass; 04-29-2011 at 02:12 PM.