Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 01-23-2007, 11:53 PM   #16
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
ahem ... I beg to differ ... I'm a coder of 20+ years and I touch type pretty well ... especially while coding!
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:07 AM   #17
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
My typing skills definitely improved after I started seriously programming. One of the best programmers I know attributes some of his skill to the fact that he touch-types at 60wpm.

That being said, I do know some technical types who don't touch-type. Just not very many programmers.

These days, I touch-type so automatically that even having to learn to use a sticky caps key would slow me down. I'm not saying it wouldn't be quite useful to have a soft keyboard on such a device, just that I'm not sure I could touch-type on one.

A soft keyboard could be a real advantage in typing Chinese or Japanese (especially kanji), though. Type a radical, then order characters by stroke count or by frequency of use... I can think of a couple of good potential systems.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2007, 12:16 AM   #18
JDShaffer
Hobbit
JDShaffer began at the beginning.

Device: k2i
Virtual Piano's Been Done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
Or maybe we could just add a Virtual Keyboard to what we already have. If they can do a QWERTY they should be able to do an 88 key piano.

Just FYI, it's been done already:

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/t.../virtual-piano

Cheers,
Jeffrey
JDShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:19 AM   #19
JDShaffer
Hobbit
JDShaffer began at the beginning.

Device: k2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami
A soft keyboard could be a real advantage in typing Chinese or Japanese (especially kanji), though. Type a radical, then order characters by stroke count or by frequency of use... I can think of a couple of good potential systems.
Not sure if most Japanese people here (in Japan) would be able to use a radical based system! Just about everyone is popping in their kanji with the roman spellings... so a fancy kanji for DREAM (romanized as yume) would be entered as typing in y-u-m-e and then SPACE to activate the "kanji lookup". Typically the kanji we want is right there, so you can just his ENTER, but sometimes it requires a quick up-arrow or down-arrow. Not the best system, but far faster than searching by radical.

Cheers,
Jeffrey
JDShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:34 AM   #20
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
That's interesting. I've got an input system like this for my computer, and I use it just this way. But I had the impression that Japanese speakers weren't always that familiar with romaji. Maybe that info is out of date now. Japanese dictionaries still provide radical-stroke count lookup, but are Japanese speakers searching by romaji spelling now?

In any case, the Chinese speakers I know seem not to like the pinyin method of entry and lookup (which is what I use, since I do tend to lean on pinyin and I'm more likely to recognize the character I want from a list than to remember a 4 digit code or whatever). Maybe because there are too many characters with the same pinyin spelling, even including tones.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert