Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-20-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
danwdoo
Groupie
danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Book problem

Hello,
I have a book in ereader format which I liberated with er.exe (ereader2html). I opened the book in a browser and it appears fine. I then took the extracted html file and imported it into Calibre. Calibre would not allow me to view it in this format so I converted it to epub. I was then able to view it in the included reader.

I then used Calibre to upload the book to my Sony 505. I was able to open the book on the 505, but I could only advance to page 2. When I try to go any further, I receive an exclamation point with "page error". I'm not sure where the problem might lie here.

Thanks!
danwdoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwdoo View Post
Hello,
I have a book in ereader format which I liberated with er.exe (ereader2html). I opened the book in a browser and it appears fine. I then took the extracted html file and imported it into Calibre. Calibre would not allow me to view it in this format so I converted it to epub. I was then able to view it in the included reader.

I then used Calibre to upload the book to my Sony 505. I was able to open the book on the 505, but I could only advance to page 2. When I try to go any further, I receive an exclamation point with "page error". I'm not sure where the problem might lie here.

Thanks!
eReader2html produces very poor html output. You will most likely need to clean it up a bit before converting it.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
danwdoo
Groupie
danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the tip. Since I'm not a full time HTML developer (but have done a very little), what types of things should I be trying to clean up?

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One major issue is it does not denote paragraphs. It uses <br> tags to separate them but <br> is just an empty line. So often the entire document is put into one paragraph.

EPUBs have one or more HTML files within it. The PRS has a maximum size (I believe this is for all readers using Adobe's Mobile Reader software) one of these HTML file can be. With EPUB output a large document is split on paragraphs to accommodate this size restraint. What may be happening (Kovid is the EPUB expert) is the file is not being split thus not able to be read on the PRS. Do you have one of the Sony output profiles selected this should force the splitting when necessary (you won't see any difference, it's all internal)?
Old 12-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If calibre fails to split, you'll get an error message, so its not that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
danwdoo
Groupie

Yes I see what you mean about the <br> tags so I'm starting to convert much of that to paragraphs. The document is only about 76 pages so I'm not sure the length will be too much of an issue. I do have the Sony reader/touch profile selected. I believe this is the correct one for the 505 rather than the 500 profile.

What's interesting is the first two pages show pages 1 of 76 but then when the problem happens it switches to page 1 of 1.

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's most likely some markup in the file that ADE doesn't like. See the adequirks page in the calibre wiki.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #8
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If calibre fails to split, you'll get an error message, so its not that.
I was under the impression that if the default profile is selected it would not attempt to split.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwdoo
I do have the Sony reader/touch profile selected.
Then it isn't a splitting issue.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No that was changed a while ago. Splitting is now controlled by the epub output options.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #10
danwdoo
Groupie

I don't know if this matters but the last page visible is the produced by Calibre one. When I try to next page from this page is when it always blows up.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

like i said it's some markup in the html that's causing ADE to choke. Can't tell you more without looking at the file itself.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #12
danwdoo
Groupie

I'd be willing to submit the file somewhere if someone would be willing to look at it. If they then found the problem it would help me in the future in correcting other files.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:57 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

open a ticket and attach the file
Old 12-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #14
danwdoo
Groupie

I've done so. Thanks so much for all your help!