Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #556
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No - all those displays have the same resolution. The improvement with the Pearl screen is in the contrast, not the resolution. Pearl has 50% greater contrast than the older Viplex screens - blacks are a lot blacker.
Yes you are correct. My mistake. Contrast is indeed the difference between those screens. Still though reading from any of those screens, newsprint, book text, whatever, is about the same to me. I just dont put much thought into the resolution, contrast etc. of the text. As long as it is clean and legible I am happy. I still am amazed at how eink (any and all the screens) are so close to printed text.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #557
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
My $7 case (Sleeve) came today!
It was in my mailbox so hubby brought it in when he got home for work.

It's a Ex-Point Kobo Touch eReader Leather Case and I got it on Ebay for $7 with shipping.
It a soft leather with soft cloth inside.
It's not really stiff so I wouldn't put it in my purse to travel with but it will be a good around the house protector from cat and dust which is what I need for now.

It fits the K4 to a T! I mean it fits like it was made for it.
I am guessing the person bought it from Borders and they're all over ebay. It does not have a flap or zipper to close so the reader will fall out if you hold it upside down. So don't do that.

I really like it and I may get a travel case as the cheaper ones comes available but if you need something to hold you over for now look on ebay. I wouldn't pay over $14 for one with shipping. It is nice leather not cheap feeling at all.

Yup the Kobo Touch cases fit the new Kindle since their dimensions are identical. The sleeve is nice, but the only thing I don't like is the fact it's open at the top which means the Kindle could fall out if you pick up the sleeve the wrong way (or turn it over by mistake)

I bought this (also a Kobo touch carrying case)

Good to protect and carrry around and has a zipper so it won't fall out if I put it in bag or something. Also fits the Kindle like it was made for it.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #558
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Yes you are correct. My mistake. Contrast is indeed the difference between those screens. Still though reading from any of those screens, newsprint, book text, whatever, is about the same to me. I just dont put much thought into the resolution, contrast etc. of the text. As long as it is clean and legible I am happy. I still am amazed at how eink (any and all the screens) are so close to printed text.
Tony.... can I assume you were born in 1988 ? then, contrast would not be of a great importance to you.
yet.

Us, older "but oh so wiser and sexier too" people, we need the contrast.
Just trust me on that one.

On the cover subject: the K4 NT sits perfectly in the M-Edge GO Cover I kept from my PRS-300 (the device went, the cover stayed). Perfectly.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #559
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Device: K3, K4, Kindle Fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Tony.... can I assume you were born in 1988 ? then, contrast would not be of a great importance to you.
yet.

I really think this falls in the subjective/to-each-his-own area.

If Tony was, indeed, born in 1988 then I'm about 20 years older than him, but I'm perfectly happy with the contrast and legibility of the font on my K4.
xari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #560
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Yup the Kobo Touch cases fit the new Kindle since their dimensions are identical. The sleeve is nice, but the only thing I don't like is the fact it's open at the top which means the Kindle could fall out if you pick up the sleeve the wrong way (or turn it over by mistake)

Good to protect and carrry around and has a zipper so it won't fall out if I put it in bag or something. Also fits the Kindle like it was made for it.
Is it stiff in the area over the display?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #561
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool here's how

Quote:
Thanks for the Tip! I don't know where to get some plastic to fit in there but I think that's a great idea!
anything with a flat side of the dimensions you need, plastic trash can, gallon bottle, even a clipboad (it's a bit thick though quite stiff).
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #562
jswinden
Nameless Being

Case Logic model PRSAZC3

If you are looking for a case (not a cover) that it very strong and protective for traveling, then I recommend the Case Logic model PRSAZC3 which was originally designed for the Sony PRS-300 reader. I kept my case and it works well with the K4. It is too bulky to use as an everyday case, but it is excellent as a protection case for storing your reader away in your luggage.

Best Buy still lists them, though I've no clue if you could actually get one from them. Here is the link.

Search for PRSAZC3 on Amazon. I see some listed for $6.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	case-logig-01.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	77428   Click image for larger version

Name:	case-logig-02.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	77429  

Last edited by jswinden; 10-07-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #563
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Is it stiff in the area over the display?
Not stiff but it has the soft padding, it's thicker at the front cause it has a front pocket where you could put the usb cable or a soft cloth to wipe the screen or something.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #564
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
yet.

On the cover subject: the K4 NT sits perfectly in the M-Edge GO Cover I kept from my PRS-300 (the device went, the cover stayed). Perfectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xari View Post
I really think this falls in the subjective/to-each-his-own area.

If Tony was, indeed, born in 1988 then I'm about 20 years older than him, but I'm perfectly happy with the contrast and legibility of the font on my K4.

I almost forgot about the 1988 designation on my name. I was born in 1970.(but happily can still pass for my 20's) The 1988 is my graduation year.

I have always worn contacts/glasses since I was nie so my vision has always been horrible. But yet I have had no difficulty read on any of the devices I have used.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #565
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

My Kindle 4 sits on the shelf with my K3 so I don't have to worry about it falling out but I am gonna get a case once the cheaper ones come out. I can't see paying more then $15 for a good case for such a cheap reader. However if I ge at SO for one I might actually get a nice one.

One could fashion a flap I suppose with some material and Velcro. The new design of the case Ex-Point has added a magnetic flap so those are out there too.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-07-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #566
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
anything with a flat side of the dimensions you need, plastic trash can, gallon bottle, even a clipboad (it's a bit thick though quite stiff).
I will keep an eye out. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 10-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #567
Zeebra
Evangelist

Quote:
My Kindle 4 sits on the shelf with my K3 so I don't have to worry about it falling out but I am gonna get a case once the cheaper ones come out. I can't see paying more then $15 for a good case for such a cheap reader. However if I ge at SO for one I might actually get a nice one.

One could fashion a flap I suppose with some material and Velcro. The new design of the case Ex-Point has added a magnetic flap so those are out there too.

Yeah I hear you, it was $25 which is a bit much (but not as much as Amazon's damn cases!) but I just wanted something to put it away and protect it while I wasn't reading. I'm generally *very* careful with my electronics so it's not really a problem for me. My old Kindle Keyboard I had a case on all the time and after a while the extra bulk started to bother me so I was determined to read this Kindle with no case attached. This is the perfect solution for me.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #568
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:

How about a nice Oberon cover for only $69?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #569
jswinden
Nameless Being

It is totally ridiculous how much cases for readers and cellular phones cost! It seems as though we pay at least $40 for a decent one. In the case (no pun intended) of readers I think it is like buying a car. The profit margin is so low on the car that they want to make up for it by selling accessories, like four tires and a steering wheel. No excuse for cellular phone cases costing that much though.

All that said, I just wish they would release cases custom made for the K4 NT. I've got a generic case but I would prefer a smaller one to take advantage of the K4 NT's small size.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #570
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Yeah I hear you, it was $25 which is a bit much (but not as much as Amazon's damn cases!) but I just wanted something to put it away and protect it while I wasn't reading. I'm generally *very* careful with my electronics so it's not really a problem for me. My old Kindle Keyboard I had a case on all the time and after a while the extra bulk started to bother me so I was determined to read this Kindle with no case attached. This is the perfect solution for me.
I have the lighted cover but takes my K3 out when in use. $25 is not too bad. I can't see using a case with the K4 but some here probably do.

Hey how much is it with shipping to get a K4 in Canada I have a friend asking who lives up that way.