Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 08:29 AM   #16
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Here is something that Franchise can help me with. I am going the oposite direction, I have an electronic book reader but I am migrating to reading electronic books on my smart phone. I do not like the idea of carrying multiple devices each for a different job. So why are you moving from the smart phone to the kindle? Seems to me that you will be carrying mroe devices, it will be more expensive and there is more to loose then would otherwise be.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #17
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I am going the opposite direction, I have an electronic book reader but I am migrating to reading electronic books on my smart phone.
I never understand this. Do people actually like reading itty bitty text on a teeny weeny screen, having to turn the page after about every paragraph, and then getting eyestrain from staring at a tiny LCD for hours?

It makes no sense. At least the Kindle screen has the equivalent amount of real estate for text as a mass-market paperback book does. Why on earth would someone opt to read on a tiny phone screen? Sure, if you were on the go a lot and/or somewhere that you didn't have your ereader and felt like reading anyway, maybe. But otherwise....

Last edited by chyron8472; 02-17-2011 at 09:35 AM.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #18
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I'm with Chyron - I tried using the K4Blackberry app. It works quite swiftly but the small screen size over a long-term read as opposed to occasional use was just not pleasant or relaxing. By the same token, I have watched full length movies on the BB on airplane flights but frankly, I do prefer my 40-inch Sony at home.

Obviously, convergence would be nice and maybe one day they will provide it in the form of those "glasses" (viewers) that stay close to the eyes and emulate a full-size experience. But just as I would not want the k3's size as a phone next to my ear, I want a larger screen for reading. I guess the k3's size or ipad or whatever could be a phone with blue-tooth but I would not want that size when all I really want is a phone-sized device when heading off on a walk, bike ride or hike.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #19
FranchiseBlade
FranchiseBlade doesn't litterFranchiseBlade doesn't litterFranchiseBlade doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Here is something that Franchise can help me with. I am going the oposite direction, I have an electronic book reader but I am migrating to reading electronic books on my smart phone. I do not like the idea of carrying multiple devices each for a different job. So why are you moving from the smart phone to the kindle? Seems to me that you will be carrying mroe devices, it will be more expensive and there is more to loose then would otherwise be.
For me the size of the screen, the ease on the eyes, and way to organize the books, ease of downloading books from places other than Amazon etc. all made the Kindle better for me.

I don't plan on using my Android to read anymore unless I'm somehow without my Kindle. But the Kindle is small enough that I can take it most everywhere.
FranchiseBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #20
FranchiseBlade
FranchiseBlade doesn't litterFranchiseBlade doesn't litterFranchiseBlade doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
So far I've loved my Kindle. I spent the night I got it, and the first part of the next day just organizing my collections, and getting a couple more books to add to them, though they are books I've already read in paper.

I found a couple of free ebooks that were really horrible conversions as far as typos, and screw ups. Bust since I'd read the paper versions it wasn't the end of the world.

I've had to restrain myself from buying a ton of books from Amazon. I know that I can't read that many books right now, and shouldn't buy them all at once because of my budget, but it's hard to resist.

I ordered a cover off of e-bay. It's super cheap, but hopefully it functions. I'm not particular about that kind of stuff. I just want something to give some basic protection for the Kindle.
FranchiseBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #21
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad you are enjoying your kindle. I've grabbed every freebie offered - well, almost every freebie. I purchased two books initially that I was reading in paper - wanted to see what they were like on the kindle. Then just a couple of others.

I will admit I have also "purchased" some Barnes and Noble freebies, too and using some of the Christian books from Amazon, converted those B&N books to the kindle faith!!!!
Old 02-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #22
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
just wondering. is the kindle durable enough? when i get one, i plan to take it everywhere with me, but my bag is the type that can hold a lot of stuff, and i don't want my future k3 breaking D:
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #23
FF2
Wizard

You definitely want to keep "corners" of solid objects or even say rolled up socks, away from an unprotected screen. Anything that can press on the screen or provide angular torque to the kindle could break the screen. It is best to get a case/cover that protects the screen and keeps the kindle from twisting is best.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #24
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
You definitely want to keep "corners" of solid objects or even say rolled up socks, away from an unprotected screen. Anything that can press on the screen or provide angular torque to the kindle could break the screen. It is best to get a case/cover that protects the screen and keeps the kindle from twisting is best.
thanks! I was thinking of getting amazon's lighted cover. i hope that's enough protection. i really love the convenience of a built-in light.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:12 AM   #25
FF2
Wizard

I really like the lighted cover. Convenience of not having a separate light to deal with nor having to either change or charge batteries.

It is pretty stiff but I think it could be twisted or flexed under the right or rather the wrong circumstances.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:34 AM   #26
wyndslash
Wizard

ah. i don't mind stiffness. what color did you get? i can't decide. i like the brighter colors but i am wondering if they get dirty easily
Old 02-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #27
FF2
Wizard

I went with basic black - I can accessorize with pearls if need be - just kidding.

I thought about brighter colors only to prevent it from being left behind somewhere.