Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Sony Exchanged My Year Old PRS-505 - Awesome customer service!!

I called for service because my volume button was loose and my battery was not holding charge (It would not last past 3 days even if I don't use it). My year long warranty was running out since I bought my reader on December 2, 2007 and received and registered it on December 6, 2007. I returned it on December 1, 2008 and today when I got home a brand new reader was waiting for me by my front door. Just authorized it an hour ago. I was charged $29 for labor and nothing else. So now a year later I have a new reader.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Excellent!
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2008, 07:09 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Wonderful news.
Enjoy!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Good news Lilly!! Enjoy your new reader!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
What is the register thing? I don't think I have ever bothered to do so... Did they ask for a receipt to prove purchase date?
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2008, 08:06 PM   #6
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeta View Post
What is the register thing? I don't think I have ever bothered to do so... Did they ask for a receipt to prove purchase date?
You have to register through the Sony Ebook Library software. Yes, they asked for a receipt.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #7
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
You have to register through the Sony Ebook Library software. Yes, they asked for a receipt.
Do you think Sony would still honor it if it were purchased at B&H, or would you have had to purchase it through the Sony store?
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:47 AM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I just had a good experience with Sony Customer Support as well. My eBook Library suddenly stopped opening the Sony eBook Store. I called Customer Support and got somebody in El Salvador who tried to figure it out but couldn't. So he directed me to call Sony Support Level Two and gave me a case number.

I called Level Two and got some friendly and very tenacious technician who tried several things that didn't work. Eventually, I let him take control of my laptop and he worked hard to find the problem. Turned out to be the proxy setting in Internet Explorer. That did the trick. Throughout the whole time he was friendly and helpful
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:02 PM   #9
Lilly
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
Do you think Sony would still honor it if it were purchased at B&H, or would you have had to purchase it through the Sony store?
They should; I did not purchase my reader from Sony, I purchased it off the internet from Abt Electronics. I only had my web receipt; which I printed out and sent with my reader.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:23 PM   #10
MomAndrea
MomAndrea began at the beginning.

Device: iPad (my PRS-505 died)
I also recently had excellent customer service from Sony Canada. They replaced my broken screen under warrantee. I was thrilled.
MomAndrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:56 AM   #11
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
But what if you buy from somewhere like B&H, but live outside the States/don't have an address in the US or Canada? Would they accept the warranty under such circumstances?
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #12
Lilly
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygibsonsf View Post
But what if you buy from somewhere like B&H, but live outside the States/don't have an address in the US or Canada? Would they accept the warranty under such circumstances?
You have to call and ask them that because I paid out of pocket to return it but they paid to send it back to me. I guess the only major problem you would have is with them sending back the reader to you outside of the US. Tell them you bought the reader from the US and now they have that they are being sold in Europe, is it possible to get warranty service for your US bought reader.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:45 PM   #13
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
You have to call and ask them that because I paid out of pocket to return it but they paid to send it back to me. I guess the only major problem you would have is with them sending back the reader to you outside of the US. Tell them you bought the reader from the US and now they have that they are being sold in Europe, is it possible to get warranty service for your US bought reader.
Hopefully I'd never need to (once I've bought myself a new reader), but your suggestion is a good one. I'd alter it slightly and say I either bought it while passing through the States (the argument I bought it before it was available in the UK wouldn't work since they'd want a copy of the receipt, and that would show the date as after the Sony's release in the States), or that someone bought me one as a present there and brought it back. But yes, that's probably the way to go. Thanks.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #14
Pangolyn
Enthusiast
Pangolyn began at the beginning.

Device: PRS700
I didn't see your story earlier and thought I was the only one with a good experience. They exchanged my broken PRS700 for $29 also.
Pangolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:17 PM   #15
antistar
Connoisseur
antistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: PRS-500, dr800sg, prs-950, MS SP3, Boox i86ML, Sony Z3TC, KV, Sony RP1
same experience
last year my prs-500 was dead when it had only two weeks or so warranty left. (I suspect it died from dropping, but I am not sure)
Anyway I sent my reader back and fished out my credit card statement in my mailbox from a year ago, printed it out and enclosed it. (it's in Chinese, by the way, but it did have "Borders" and $324 something on it, so I guess the guys got the point XD) About two weeks later I got a new reader back (paid $29 too, and it's reburbished) but I was still happy. I've hacked it into displaying Chinese since and loved it even better
antistar is offline   Reply With Quote