Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-01-2015, 03:32 PM   #1186
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by volpo View Post
You get the warm feeling of satisfaction from the employees that you keep employed by updating your device and buying the next iteration.
Hmmm... purchasing that next iteration is a good way to save yourself from the scorchmarks caused by the spontaneous combustion of heavy wads of crumpled money stuffed into your pockets.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:22 PM   #1187
Radium
The Alchemist
Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.Radium has met Morla.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I am still on 3.5.0, because I am not sure the recent FW updates have anything to offer Koreader users. Doing an update to the FW should have little if any impact on Koreader itself, but it would likely overwrite a little of the launcher program. (Tshering has provided the means to do a FW update without effecting his Kobo Start Menu (KSM) )

There are a few device related functions, like power management that might be effected by a FW update, if so you may have to reinstall/update Koreader, once any changes to koreader ( to adapt to the new FW) are released. The majority of Koreader's functioning would be unaffected by a FW update.

Arguing for doing a FW update, would be keeping up with what those who do most of the work to keep things working, would most likely be using.

Luck;
Ken
I also experience lots of hangs when reading large PDFs and EPUBs using koreader. but same books on nickel do not cause the device to hang.
I installed koreader about 8 months ago.
Is this problem addressed and fixed in newer updates of koreader?
Radium is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2015, 08:05 PM   #1188
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radium View Post
I also experience lots of hangs when reading large PDFs and EPUBs using koreader. but same books on nickel do not cause the device to hang.
I installed koreader about 8 months ago.
Is this problem addressed and fixed in newer updates of koreader?
I guess it could be related to the firmware, but I doubt it. There have been quite a few Koreader releases in the past 8 months, you should try a more recent one. Development seems to have reached a plateau, at the moment.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:58 AM   #1189
GibbinR
Connoisseur
GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad mini 5, Kindle Oasis 3
Upgrade advice from 2.8.1 sought

I have 2 Aura HDs still(!) running firmware 2.8.1 with the Metazoa patches applied. I've used the advice on the 'Summary of Modified Fonts' forum to add various fonts to the readers, and greatly value both the additional font control which the patches confer and also the enhanced control over headers and footers.
I've stuck with 2.8.1 because I haven't seen anything 'must have' in later releases, and because from what I read on this and related forums, every new release seems to introduce as many problems as it cures.
I only have side-loaded epubs on my machines and the main thing I do (apart of course from reading) is to annotate the epubs with transcription errors so that I can correct the originals on my laptop.
Annotation used to be a rather fraught process because it seemed that annotations got lost between reading sessions, mysteriously reappeared after being removed, etc. which does make trying to correct a new book very difficult. Recently, however, I've worked out (I think) that it's the process of closing and reopening the book that doesn't work properly, and that if you set the reader never to power off, and never close the book before applying the annotated changes to the original on the laptop, then data doesn't get lost.
However this does mean that whilst you are annotating a book, the reader cannot be used to read anything else, and so I've been wondering if any later firmware releases solved the problem of annotation loss on opening and closing a book.

Any advice would be much appreciated
GibbinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:59 AM   #1190
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
GibbinR, your experience doesn't match mine. I use annotations for the same reason, and don't loose annotations. On the rare occasions I have, I've been able to track the loss to another problem. This is usually a corrupt database. And your description of the behaviour matches this. Losing data from the database after powering off is usually because part of the database is corrupt and wasn't saved.

As you are a heavy annotations user, I would recommend updating the latest firmware. Kobo has done a lot of work on the annotations. They added a second view to the annotations list, filtering by type, sorting by location and date created and fixed a lot of the bugs. One of the bugs fixed is that the chapter the annotation is in is correctly recorded and displayed when the annotation is made. Unfortunately, the big bug left is that the chapters are lost when the book is reopened. This has been around for a very long time and you will see it with 2.8.1.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2015, 07:01 AM   #1191
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Unfortunately, the big bug left is that the chapters are lost when the book is reopened. This has been around for a very long time and you will see it with 2.8.1.
The annotations for epubs are saved in the database, and a second copy in the "Digital Editions/Annotations/" directory. It is loading the annotations from "Digital Editions/Annotations/" that causes the problem, so if you don't care about the second copy then here is a simple work-around for this bug: Delete the "Digital Editions/Annotations/" directory and create an empty ordinary file named "Digital Editions/Annotations" in its place.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #1192
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The annotations for epubs are saved in the database, and a second copy in the "Digital Editions/Annotations/" directory. It is loading the annotations from "Digital Editions/Annotations/" that causes the problem, so if you don't care about the second copy then here is a simple work-around for this bug: Delete the "Digital Editions/Annotations/" directory and create an empty ordinary file named "Digital Editions/Annotations" in its place.
Very nice! I'll have to try that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #1193
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've given this a try and it's odd. I do get locations and percents now, but using a book I had already made annotation, the locations and/or percents are incorrect. I'll try this with a book I am reading now and see how that has no annotations and see how I get on.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:00 PM   #1194
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
The DE/Annotations file is the source that I use to fix up the books I read. I haven't had any problems with it.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:34 PM   #1195
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've given this a try and it's odd. I do get locations and percents now, but using a book I had already made annotation, the locations and/or percents are incorrect.
If annotations were already broken, GeoffR's suggestion doesn't fix them. It just prevents any future problems.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:57 PM   #1196
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've given this a try and it's odd. I do get locations and percents now, but using a book I had already made annotation, the locations and/or percents are incorrect. I'll try this with a book I am reading now and see how that has no annotations and see how I get on.
The original "% into chapter" information is misnamed for epubs anyway. It is correct for kepubs, but for epubs it really means "% into book". The work-around doesn't change that at all, but it prevents the chapter and % being corrupted when the book is reopened.

I haven't actually tried it with old annotations though, the way I use annotations is just to highlight errors in the book so I can correct them in the original. I delete each annotation as I make the correction, so in the end all annotations are gone.

The difference with the database annotations and the copy kept in the Annotations/ directory is that the database copy is deleted when the book is deleted, but the Annotations/ copy persists after the book is deleted, and the firmware will attempt to add the old annotations from the Annotations/ directory to a new book if it has the same filename.

Last edited by GeoffR; 03-09-2015 at 07:00 PM. Reason: misnamed
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:18 PM   #1197
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

As I only use Annotations for highlighting errors to fix after I've read the book, I'm OK with the annotations going away when the book is deleted.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:44 AM   #1198
purenoise
purenoise began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Where can i find for Kobo original & Wifi ?
purenoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:33 PM   #1199
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purenoise View Post
Where can i find for Kobo original & Wifi ?
All the known links for Kobo firmware are listing in this thread. The first post has the current firmware and the second post older. I can see two links for the WiFi, but I don't see anything for the original.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:51 AM   #1200
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Hi my friends, here in France the spring is here !!!!!!!!!

I've already searched a way to disable the slider to adjust the screen's brightness (and asked the question on this forum) but there no solution ...

So do you know if the next firmware (over 3.13.1) will give us this option (because I think that any non basic function MUST have an on/off toggle in the settings to enable or disable it) ?

Last edited by akorx; 04-05-2015 at 06:10 AM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote