Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
Kobo Touch Firmware 1.9.16

Kobo Touch Firmware 1.9.16 and desktop 2.1.6 will be released shortly.

Kobo Touch:

• Speed improvements to page turning and searching
• Crisper, sharper text for your reading experience
• The new 'Recommended for you' list automatically finds books tailored to your tastes
• A simple consolidated HOME menu now contains Library, Store and Reading Life
• Icons for Settings, Sync and Help are now also available under the HOME menu
• Sync anytime, anywhere by touching the cloud icon in the status bar
• Sync progress is now shown as a progress bar at the top of the screen

Desktop:
• Check out the Recommended For You panel for your next great read
• Performance and user experience improvements, notably:
o Device sync
o Opening a book

As usual, special thanks to the beta testers for their feedback!
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Both the desktop and touch updates done here and I like what I see. The slow page turns from 1.9.14 have been fixed and the other changes are a nice bonus, the Touch is now all that I expected it to be and more when I bought it six months ago, Thank you!
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Little by little the Kobo Touch is getting closer to being the e-reader I thought I was buying when I bought it! That is great. My husband updated his and so far seems happy.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
Dan_P
Dan_P began at the beginning.

Device: kObO
with the usual disclaimers......

...here is another happy customer.. after problem with sd cards and 1.9.12 I am happy to say that the first 15 min of play has been positive.
the 8gb transcend class 6 is now playing ball
Dan_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Just updated and I'm happy with what I see so far. I like that on the home page you now have an option to show featured releases, new releases, or your own shortlist (I'm keeping it on shortlist for now to avoid temptation. ) The way everything is now organized under the "home" menu is also nice.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
The 'featured items' area has to go. One of the reasons I chose the Kobo Touch over the Nook and Kindle was because it didn't hog homepage real estate nor force their bookstore upon me. I specifically sought a device that was generic and not connected to a bookseller.

At least let me disable it. (If I can I can't find it.)

BOOO!
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
The 'featured items' area has to go. One of the reasons I chose the Kobo Touch over the Nook and Kindle was because it didn't hog homepage real estate nor force their bookstore upon me. I specifically sought a device that was generic and not connected to a bookseller.

BOOO!
I find myself agreeing with that. Kobo Touch already sells a Special Offer edition for a reduced price, and I paid the full price for mine.

Edited to add: The shortlist comes up on the homepage and not ads for new books. I misunderstood, and am happy with how the homepage works.

Last edited by spindlegirl; 12-23-2011 at 01:50 PM.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post

BOOO!
There is no ability to disable it currently, but you can set it to show your shortlist which at least gets rid of it showing recommendations/ad type stuff. The particular option you have chosen for the carousel (Recs, new books, shortlist etc) should stick (i.e. always stay the same unless you change it) but it currently has minor bug preventing that. I realize that doesn't solve all your issues, but that's all they've given us currently.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
There is no ability to disable it currently, but you can set it to show your shortlist which at least gets rid of it showing recommendations/ad type stuff.
That's interesting. Mine started up showing the shortlist by default. I only saw the new releases/featured option when I noticed the menu arrows and clicked on it. I do like that they've given you that option.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #10
pj4776
pj4776 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch v2
New to the site so hello everybody.

I too purchased my Kobo touch because there was no advertising on the device. I have had it about a month now and really love it but I really hate the new featured/new release menu.
the pages do turn a bit quicker now but I had not really noticed it was slow as this is my first e-reader.
they should of giving you the option in the settings menu to remove the featured/new release bit.
pj4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I see a difference between trying to sell its own books via the device and selling tube socks via the reader, but I don't like hard selling of books either. I'm glad that shortlist is a choice and look forward to being able to make that my permanent preferred choice.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Kobo did it right by allowing the shortlist to show instead of recommendations. The NOOK Touch is a total fail in this area. NOOK Touch customers have been asking from day one to have a shortlist instead. Folks are avoiding the homescreen. Number one reason I got rid of it! Nice updates indeed.

Last edited by SCION; 12-23-2011 at 01:03 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
Suzanna
Living in the past

I tend to keep my Kobo in airplane mode - I wonder if that's the reason I default to shortlist on the home screen. In airplane mode, you only see blank book covers when new releases/featured is selected.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #14
feedbakbwr
Redwood Original
feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
My desktop software keeps looping to update every time i run the desktop software?
feedbakbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #15
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Samsung Android Tablet w/Moon+ Pro Reader
Thank you and Merry Christmas Kobo!

I was fairly critical and vocal a while back when the internal database kept corrupting and requiring a factory reset. Since that was taken seriously and (knock on wood) fixed, I am very happy with the Kobo Touch and enthusiastically recommend it to friends and family!

Kobo Dev's - you should know I've now purchased 3 of these, my own originally in July, one for my Daughter in October, and now one for my Wife as a Christmas present. I would not have bought the 2nd and 3rd one if you hadn't shown such continued active development and improved the device so significantly.

As many have noted, it was merely 'ok' when it launched, but with the last few firmware updates, the KT is pretty close to 'as good as it gets' for an ereader. If we could only get better library management (collections/series, metadata support, etc), it would be perfect.

Well Done, and thanks again!

Cheers
The REAL Joe

PS - I haven't actually installed the 1.9.16 update yet, so I hope what I read above about the advertising isn't going to make me reneg on my praise here, because I, like others paid full price for a device with no advertising whatsoever, and if that's not the case, I'm definitely not going to be happy!

Last edited by therealjoeblow; 12-23-2011 at 01:27 PM.
therealjoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote