Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you buy your mom an e-book reader?
Yes, I would, and I would also assist her using it. 21 53.85%
No, because my mom already has a hard time with computers. 18 46.15%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Dilemma: Should I buy my mom a Sony Reader?

My mom recently discovered my Sony Reader, and when I explained it to her, she got all excited (light-weight, holds lots of books, can zoom).

So I thought to myself, what an excellent idea, I am going to buy my mom a Sony Reader (for Christmas).

But now I am worried. My mom knows how to write e-mails, but that's about it. I already give her 1st level support on her Mac, and it's really just covering the basics. So, do you think it's wise to buy her a Reader, knowing that it's going to be anything but easy for her to use (and implying extra hours for me to support her)?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I voted no because my mom doesn't have or use a computer and I would not wish such a devilish thing on my worst enemy let alone my mother. But if you spend a lot of time helping her, I hope you get your mother one. She probably will love it. Mine would, too, I think.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I've been pondering the same question. I don't think the usability is there yet for my mother. For my sister or brother yes, but my mother is still struggling with reserving library books online. I think the technology needs to mature a bit yet and become more user friendly.

It would also bother my mother if it became obsolete in 3 years (even if it was still working fine).
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
andyafro
Connoisseur
andyafro doesn't litterandyafro doesn't litter

Device: sony reader prs-500
I voted yes.
Though she may not be good on computers i'm sure she will be able to deal with a sony reader. A few simple instuctions and anybody is ready to go. If i was you i would purchase a card reader as well that way all she really has to do is insert her memory card and drag bits onto it.

once you do anything a few times its simple.

you will probley get a few phones calls at first haha is that why you pondering buying one for her because you know you will get hassled for them first few weeks till she gets it right.

She will love it which means she will take extra time to make sure she can get it too work.
andyafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
modsoul
Enthusiast
modsoul began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyafro View Post
I voted yes.
Though she may not be good on computers i'm sure she will be able to deal with a sony reader. A few simple instuctions and anybody is ready to go. If i was you i would purchase a card reader as well that way all she really has to do is insert her memory card and drag bits onto it.

once you do anything a few times its simple.

you will probley get a few phones calls at first haha is that why you pondering buying one for her because you know you will get hassled for them first few weeks till she gets it right.

She will love it which means she will take extra time to make sure she can get it too work.
if your serious here's what you do.

1. buy the reader. and show her where the USB cable goes.

2. show her how to use MSN remote assistance (or if you have the skill setup a vnc server on her computer).

3. tell her to contact you any time she need new books, atleast untill she learns it herself.

I know my mother would love the reader and would buy it for her in a heart beat if i could afford it. sadly i cannot. the reason i have one is cuz i got it for 58 bucks using a credit deal.
modsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2007, 02:52 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

modsoul, this sounds like a good idea. I can set up VNC on her Mac, and also enable port forwarding on her router. Hmmm. I can smell work...
Old 11-19-2007, 04:35 AM   #7
Surfergirl
Enthusiast
Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505 (Blue)/PRS-505 (Red)/iPhone 3GS
Yes - I already have

My mom is partially-sighted, so her reading options have been drastically reduced, hence the Reader purchase. To help her use all of her remote controls, I've taken pictures of each remote, put simple instructions by each of the buttons she needs to use, and printed the picture out in a large format so she can read it. (She's not very electronic-literate, but she manages well with this)
I intend to do the same thing with her Reader, so hopefully she'll be able to manage it. (And I don't live far away, so I'll be on hand if she has any problems). It will be worth any hassle, as she loves to read.
Surfergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:53 AM   #8
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfergirl View Post
My mom is partially-sighted, so her reading options have been drastically reduced, hence the Reader purchase. To help her use all of her remote controls, I've taken pictures of each remote, put simple instructions by each of the buttons she needs to use, and printed the picture out in a large format so she can read it. (She's not very electronic-literate, but she manages well with this)
I intend to do the same thing with her Reader, so hopefully she'll be able to manage it. (And I don't live far away, so I'll be on hand if she has any problems). It will be worth any hassle, as she loves to read.
I think it is a great idea and it is wonderful that you thought of it and are prepared to put in the effort required to make it work. It can only greatly add to your mothers quality of life. Well done to you
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:02 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

My mom lives in another country, so it'd be more difficult to assist her. But using a remote connection (like VNC) could probably work.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:31 AM   #10
greghyer
greghyer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PR-500
If she does not have a PC skip this Reader. The software that is included DOES NOT work on Apple platforms. It is strickly PC based.
greghyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:10 PM   #11
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
I am wrestling with the same dilemma, Alexander. Although my mother is maybe a bit more technically inclined than yours - I let her use my Reader to read a book a while ago, and she loved it.

However, the main problem I have is - I'm not sure she understands the lock-in to the Sony store. I tell her about converting Gutenberg files, and Baen books, and things (she loves the Baen catalog), but I don't think she'd want to go through the hassle herself. And I'm also not sure what will happen if she buys a bunch of Sony books and then the Kindle takes over, or something. I don't buy the DRMed books for that reason, and I don't want to force her into that position!

The VNC assistance is a great idea, though. I should just do that in general, for helping out my family with their many technical problems :-)
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:16 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you don't mind purchasing the books for her from Sony Connect or in MS Reader format and converting for your Mom, then go for the 505. As she has a MAC, you can install libprs500 and use that to transfer the books on and off and create collections. It's not too hard to do. If my Mom had a 505, I'd be able to support her remotely. I'm already setup to access her computer when it's on. But one major difference is my Mother is on Windows.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:30 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'd like to chime in to say that I bought a Sony Reader for my parents and they're pretty happy with it. Also since libprs500 has a command line interface, remote assistance is very easy once you setup an ssh server, no need for full VNC.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:41 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have radmin setup on my Mom's computer and it works very well for what we need. Also because it supports file transfer, I'd be able to transfer books back and forth as needed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:31 AM   #15
readingaloud
Enthusiast
readingaloud is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad; Sony Reader; Amazon Kindle
I wouldn't. I actually bought my mom a Rocketbook (back when those were the thing), and it didn't get used very much--it was just too fussy.

But I AM going to get her a Kindle. The Kindle seems taylor-made for this kind of user!
readingaloud is offline   Reply With Quote