Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
netrobot
Edge User

Synch to Gmail, contacts and calendar? Anyone done it?

I keep my calendar and contacts associated with my gmail.com account. I tried synching with Google on the PE, but it asks for "Corporate" or "Facebook".

Has anyone setup Gmail contacts to support this "Corporate" option and had their contacts synch?

How is it done? How do you get your existing Gmail account to be a "corporate" account? After entering my email address and password, it expects my email address to be a Domain\Username, and gmail.com to be a "server". I suspect this is why it never works.

Is this documented anywhere?

Last edited by netrobot; 05-16-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
Ashareem
Edge User

Hella good question. One would think that an Android device would be able to synch/use Google and Android apps in native form. I'm still trying to figure out how to load the info I want on the thing. (Yes, I'm watching the vids, reading TFM, etc. Having cognitive dissonance doesn't help.)

Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
emusan
Edge User

there is a thread about this very thing over at xda developers:

linky

Apparently people have gotten a few things installed(in the hopes of getting marketplace working), but if you install the normal android calender it may remove the capabilities of the current one(ability to use e-ink). You can read the thread for more info.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrobot View Post
I keep my calendar and contacts associated with my gmail.com account. I tried synching with Google on the PE, but it asks for "Corporate" or "Facebook".

Has anyone setup Gmail contacts to support this "Corporate" option and had their contacts synch?

How is it done? How do you get your existing Gmail account to be a "corporate" account? After entering my email address and password, it expects my email address to be a Domain\Username, and gmail.com to be a "server". I suspect this is why it never works.

Is this documented anywhere?
There is a thread that covers it.http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...ght=froyo+mail
Courtesy of cmenger22
If you are on the Ermine Beta, open Calendar, add a corporate account as your Gmail account
Courtesy of cmenger22
Instructions if needed: (doing by memory bear with me)
Delete your calender profile
Delete your Froyo email profile
Hit your calender icon and select Corporate
type in your gmail address and password and hit next
type in your gmail address, password again plus in the server field type: m.google.com
hit next and finish
This lit up my entire Android, gmail, calender and contacts

Old 05-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
solarbanjo
Edge User

I've had good success with the advice from this thread

Key things to keep in mind:
1. Create a "corporate" account
2. Set the server as "m.google.com", not the default "gmail.com"
3. The calendar will only sync with your primary google calendar (the first one in the list when you go to the google calendar web page). Other ones will be ignored.

If you decide to go the challenging route of trying to set up an actual google account from advice on xda developers AND can find the latest .apk for the Astrid task manager, then you can also get your google tasks to automatically sync as well. Unfortunately, I went through a lot of steps and can't recall what finally worked. I got a google account option (in addition to the corporate and local), but Market still would not work.

Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
emusan
Edge User

looks like some people in the thread i posted earlier just got the normal gmail, calender, and marketplace apps working on their devices. Right now it seems to require a rooted phone that already has access to the marketplace, but hopefully soon it will become easier as more people find alternative ways around.

Link again