Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
USB connector broke off

Well, I finally did it. I broke my Odyssey. the USB plug broke off. So I took the chance and disassembled it to see why it broke off. It is really simple actually, the flimsy little plug is held in place to the circuit bord by two (that is T W O) little solder spots. Nothing else holds it in place. I am surprised it lasted this long. At the very least that plug should have been hooked to the plastic case, or screwed through the circuit board to the bottom plate. There is 8 tiny screws holding the circuit board to the bottom plate already, one more to hold down the usb-plug is not too much to ask for

Furthermore playing with the broke off plug, it is very hard to get it on and off an usb-cable, because of the teeth. I would recommend that you do yourself a favor and grind off the teeth of the usb-cable. Yes sure, it will go in and out more easy than it is supposed to, but pulling it out by accident on occasion is far superior to ripping the plugin off the circuit board.

If anyone is interested, I can take a picture of this and post it here.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
Gospod
Gospod began at the beginning.

Device: Odyssey
Please do it, it's going to happen to me sooner or later and I'd rather know how to solve it myself...

By the way, how did you open the Odyssey? I don't see any screws...
Gospod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gospod View Post
Please do it, it's going to happen to me sooner or later and I'd rather know how to solve it myself...

By the way, how did you open the Odyssey? I don't see any screws...
Ok, here is the pictures of the broke off plug, the second picture is a close up with it laying in place (not aligned perfectly). But in those pictures you can see the failed design of holding it with solder-spots. They did not even break, they simply and cleanly seperated from the circuit board. The data connectors did break off though. For size reference you can judge that by the sd-card that you can see in both pictures.

PLEASE NOTE: I did not get this fixed yet. Finding anyone in my area that will even solder anything that small (the 5 connectors from the plug are approximately on a 2 - 3 mm length). When I find someone that can do it, and the cost of repair is not too high then maybe I get it fixed. My plan for that is to only solder wires to the circuit board, have them hang out of the odyssey maybe an inch or two, and put a female usb-plug on the outside. That way even if the plug goes in tight, I won't put tension on the circuit board.

As for opening the Odyssey, I do not recommend you do that yourself. There is no way that you can do it without leaving marks on it. Pretty sure it might even void your warranty. I doubt even Bookeen can open and close it without leaving marks, my guess would be that they simply destroy and replace the top cover with a brand new piece. Instructions are in the Spoiler just for reference.

Spoiler:
If you still want to experiment with opening your Odyssey, you need to get a screwdriver inbetween the top and bottom cover and pry it open. It will have 30+ of those little plastic hooks along the way, so be sure to go slow. The most delicate part is when you reach the side buttons, as that is where the top trim is the weakest. DO NOT try to open the dark grey trim around the display itself, as that is securely glued to the display and holding it onto the circuit board. After the black trim on top is off, it is just those 8 tiny screws. Careful when taking the bottom cover off, as your power switch (the plastic) will fall out - it is not broke, you just need to know how to put it back together. I will not post any pictures of disassembling the Odyssey, as I don't really advice you to do so.

About that power switch. It is amazing how easy the actual real power switch works on the circuit board - the plastic switch uses the wrong leverage, and unnessary extra force is needed to activate the switch (you know what I am talking about).

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-21-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Update: Ok it is official. It is unfixable. Too risky to fix and not guranteed. I doubt Bookeen would appreciate me sending it in, now that I tore it all up. With a Kindle under $100 bucks with same display and Calibre to let me convert my books to mobi I see no reason to just replace my Odyssey with a new e-reader. Got my old prs-300 back out of storage for now. Looking for a new reader to choose from. Maybe I will wait for new models to show up - so back to square one.

Still disappointed with with the HSIS display that seems to add no value when reading ebooks. I will miss the big selection of font-sizes and easy support for custom fonts, but I will get used to anything.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
As for opening the Odyssey, I do not recommend you do that yourself. There is no way that you can do it without leaving marks on it. Pretty sure it might even void your warranty.
LOL . I don't think there's any "might" about it .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
LOL . I don't think there's any "might" about it .
Actually, I did not see that specifically mentioned in the manual - if you can call it a manual what they put on the Odyssey.

It was a nice reader, but did not deliver software and hardware wise - not the way I expected it to. They had a lot of updates at first and then nothing for a long time. Makes me think that they call it finished now.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:42 AM   #7
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
Ouch, this reminds me of iRex's DR1000s : they have the same problem with a USB port that is simply begging to be ripped off the system-board.

It's probably going to be difficult to solder a new USB port on the systemboard but you may find it easier to solder some simple electrical wires on those points. Which you can then extend outside the reader and at the end you can then solder your USB port.

Last edited by kleykenb; 04-16-2012 at 02:44 AM.
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
v12
v12 began at the beginning.

Device: none
same problem here!!! and there is no way to fix it!!! odyssey was a bad choice after all!!!

v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #9
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
Actually this solder repair isn't too bad.
any computer store can do that it isn't really low level component. It is an OCI Odd Compoent Insertion component. It is a a FPP Fine Pitch Part (like the intergrated circuit - microchip)

Hot solder iron, solder vacuum, flux, solder and a microsolder iron.. google search shows a lot of options for "pcb repair ohio"

Not an impossible situation. The usb connector resolder that is. :-) good luck
tvuongpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:38 AM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Send it back to bookeen.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
If the pcb tracks are broken, it's not possible to repair
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
same problem here!!! and there is no way to fix it!!! odyssey was a bad choice after all!!!

v12, sorry for hearing that, I agree that it is a really annoying experience.

Try contact Bookeen and send your device back to them: probably you are going to get a "new" one (with a better microUSB port and a button instead of the power switch).
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #13
v12
v12 began at the beginning.

Device: none
if I buy a new one from bookeen/shop, will it be from the "new and better" type? at their site they don't mention anything about a new release of cybook-odyssey!
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #14
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Yes, they haven't "advertised" the changes, so I cannot guarantee that you will receive a "new" one.

You might want to ask Bookeen explicitly, before sending your broken device back to them.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #15
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Why not send the broken one to bookeen ? It's still under warranty right ? And less expensive than a new one.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote