Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 08-26-2023, 02:59 PM   #1
Alyssa85
Alyssa85 began at the beginning.

Device: Android / PC
Unhappy Viewer scrolling behavior with keyboard keys

Hello

Is there a way to change the default behavior of the keyboard's arrow keys? by default, it goes a page up or page down, which is way excessive, I'd like to set it to half or even 1/3 of a page at time, is there a way to change this setting?
Alyssa85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 04:06 PM   #2
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Hi! Welcome to MR.

Did you check the Viewer Preferences section (Ctrl + ,)?

I have attached a screenshot, maybe that helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap 2023-08-26, 16_59_52.png
Views:	39
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	203374  
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2023, 05:12 PM   #3
Alyssa85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
Hi! Welcome to MR.

Did you check the Viewer Preferences section (Ctrl + ,)?

I have attached a screenshot, maybe that helps
Hi;
That affects mouse wheel only, not the keyboard arrow buttons
Not to mention, even with mouse whell, at minimum, it scrolls an entire page, at minimum, way, wayyyy too much
Old 08-26-2023, 05:23 PM   #4
Comfy.n
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa85 View Post
Hi;
That affects mouse wheel only, not the keyboard arrow buttons
Not to mention, even with mouse whell, at minimum, it scrolls an entire page, at minimum, way, wayyyy too much
yeah, I think I understand but I *think* that's intended behaviour and cannot be changed. Of course, we're talking paged mode. Flow mode cuts the lines in some way, so I rarely use it. What I do is resizing the Viewer window, see:

Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap 2023-08-26, 16_56_52.png
Views:	32
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	203375

That way , the pages have whatever size I want
Old 08-26-2023, 05:54 PM   #5
Alyssa85

Yeah I understand what you mean, but it's not about the page size...it's about the scrolling

Sorry I don't wanna come off as rude, but I don't understand how I get a better reading experience using Windows Notepad, there I can scroll one text row per tick, image that.

Really I don't wanna sound rude but how come a software that's all about the reading experience lacks such a basic thing ? I'm better off copy-paste the text on notepad and read it from there at this point
Advert
Old 08-26-2023, 05:57 PM   #6
Comfy.n

Control + M (Flow mode) doesn't suit you?

(that's a toggle hotkey, actually)
Old 08-26-2023, 06:02 PM   #7
Alyssa85

Oh THAT's how you do it now I get it thanks ~
Old 08-26-2023, 06:06 PM   #8
Comfy.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa85 View Post
Oh THAT's how you do it now I get it thanks ~
Old 08-26-2023, 07:18 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Scrolling is the worst reading experience. Pages were invented over 2,000 years ago. Computers only had scrolling due to lack of memory, stupidity and continuous paper teletypes, from 1950s.

Pagination is far better. Web sites could work like ebooks and would be a better experience. Print preview on a paper size that fits your view window sort of paginates web sites.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 07:31 PM   #10
Comfy.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Pagination is far better.
That's how i see it too, though it took me a while to make up my mind.

Unfortunately, I misunderstood the OP question and what could have been a one-line answer (Control + M) became a 3-hour long thread
Old 08-26-2023, 08:00 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Scrolling is the worst reading experience. Pages were invented over 2,000 years ago.
Over 5,000 years ago if you regard cuneiform tablets as a paged user interface.

Quote:
Computers only had scrolling due to lack of memory, stupidity and continuous paper teletypes, from 1950s.
ASR 33s were all they had at CERN in the '80s

On topic: does anyone know how to get an 'at a glance' indication of the current mode - e.g. change the button from scroll to a page.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-26-2023 at 08:11 PM. Reason: last para
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 08:24 PM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Scrolling is the worst reading experience.
Reading experience is subjective.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 03:41 AM   #13
Alyssa85

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
^ this
Old 08-27-2023, 04:18 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
To an extent. But scrolling is bad, which is why no physical ebook reader I know does it. Not even the older LCD models.

I've not even looked for studies as it's reviled except by people that have only ever read web "pages". There might not even be a study. It's amazing what is foisted on users with no study. There was originally no study about the Open Dyslectic font. It was an art project. Later studies show that simply being able to change font size and line spacing works better. Dyslectic readers I tested thought the Open Dyslectic font was the worst option and had not previously seen eink ereaders or ebooks. They thought them superior to printed books or web pages. However that wasn't a scientific study.

Though the Calibre viewer can paginate or scroll, some ereader apps don't scroll and most have pagination as the default.

An autocue is one of the valid applications of scrolling, though experienced narrators prefer pagination and will press the page turn button as they read the end of the page. You can't do decent narration with an autocue on your own, nor use on screen swipe when narrating.

Some people have literally been trained to accept scrolling due to historic bad PC application / browser design.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-27-2023 at 04:29 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 04:46 AM   #15
Comfy.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
On topic: does anyone know how to get an 'at a glance' indication of the current mode - e.g. change the button from scroll to a page.

BR
Nope, and I have asked myself that same question before.

I can't tell instantly one mode from the other in my currently preferred setup, which has the Original Dark icon pack, a little changed with some custom resources from other packs. The scroll icon seems to have a slight border when pressed, but this doesn't make it really distinctive.

Maybe the modern icon packs make that distiction easier? At one point, after having migrated to use the dark color palette and testing a bunch of icon packs, I decided to go with that one in the screenshots, and override just some icons using the custom resources feature.

(this might be related to those Qt limitations for the dark palette, such as it not dealing well with scrollbar CSS rules)

Last edited by Comfy.n; 08-27-2023 at 09:46 AM.