Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-30-2005, 02:04 PM   #1
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
"Here is new york" - photographs of 9/11

Here is new york displays the widest possible variety of pictures from the widest possible variety of sources, believing as we do that the World Trade Center disaster and its aftermath has ushered in a new period in our history, one which demands that we look at and think about images in a new and unconventional way.

A wonderful site dedicated on a very sad day.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:22 PM   #2
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
The day is still hard for me to think about. It took me years to even see the footage that was all over the news that day. "Bowling for Columbine" brought it to me when I saw it in the theater, and even then I had to cover my eyes.

I hope we never go through that again.
POL9A
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2005, 06:15 AM   #3
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I still remember it vividly as well. It was after 11pm here my time, and I was just about to go to bed when the late news finished, when the news flash was broadcast.... 5 hours later I was still glued to the screen in the worst horror I have _ever_ felt.

Amen to that Pride.

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:42 AM   #4
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
The morning this happened, several of us jumped on irc at work to find out exactly what had happened... I was in California at the time, working for Linuxcare, and our Ottawa office gave us the news. When the first plane hit, we thought they were joking. When the second plane hit, we knew this was something serious. We couldn't believe it, but the enormous amount of people in and around the New York and D.C. area taking pictures from their cars, webcams, and other places was astounding.

I collected every image that people were taking and talking about on irc, and for the next few days following, that people were putting on their websites and talking about on irc. I have literally hundreds of photos that have never been published in any media source, ever... including the link in the parent post. There are even close-ups of jumpers, very horrific. Check out the photo series from the guy driving past the Pentagon on the highway..

Some photos are from news sources, and even some people who took pictures of their television sets while the news was on. Unfortunately, the gallery isn't sorted by category.. I just collected them all and put them up for public view. Its been up since a few days after 9/11, and gets a few thousand hits per-day.

http://wtc.sourcefubar.net
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 11:06 PM   #5
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
@hacker,

Thanks for that...I'm a New Yorker born and raised...a very tragic event that I will never forget. I took some pics of the mass of people crossing the 59th street bridge but I lost them when my hard drive crashed. It was alot different from the blackout walk I had to make across the bridge again. Both times I had to walk from work in Manhattan. Sorry for the blabber.
Zire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2005, 10:28 PM   #6
Shackbase
Shackbase began at the beginning.

Device: Axim x30 624mhz
That has got to be one of the most aweinspiring depressing site on the net.

I was working in an MCI call center at the time and I remember my staff saying they heard there was a plane that had hit the trade center in New york... My first impression was that it was just a small plane that crashed into it - so I remember switching the tv on in our pod to a news channel and there it was - the whole center stopped, we shut down and we were all watching until the 2nd tower came down.

Something i will never forget - it was truly a horrible experience, one which I don't wish on anyone again.

--Tone
Shackbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:16 PM   #7
DiscoLeia
DiscoLeia began at the beginning.

I lived in NY at the time. Saw the buildings burning while on train going over the Manahattan Bridge. When I got to work someone said that one of the buildings fell. I couldn't understand what he was talking about. I thought maybe the large communications spire fell off.

When I got to work I turned on a television in the office. Saw an image of one of the towers and a pillar of smoke next to it. Took a minute to realize that the second building wasn't behind the smoke.... it was gone. And then the second building fell.

Could never get myself to go to Ground Zero.
DiscoLeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 11:46 AM   #8
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Here is a high-res satellite photo of Manhattan shortly after 9/11:

http://www.esaba.com/content/wtc-photo/
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote