Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #16
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
The fact I learned is that Overdrive moved the HC books to a special section. I hope my library purchased no HC books this month!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #17
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
We're all in this together and all that.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Uhh didn't the attack on libraries begin almost a month ago? We have a couple of threads on it.
Oh yes way before with some publishers (sorry I don't remember which) refusing to release ebooks to libraries.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:29 AM   #19
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Well, if you cogitate on what a library actually is, the dissemination of knowledge, then the attack on libraries has been in place since the creation of knowledge. But who would be against knowledge? Against the education of the citizens??????????????

Deletion of an ebook should be thought of as burning an ebook. If you're not doing it for warmth you shouldn't be doing it.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #20
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post

When a company (especially a big company) says it's worried for the good of us, and society, and democracy, etc... it means they're worried they've spotted something that they think will cut their profits at some time in the future,
Pretty much.
I get really cynical whenever I read one of these Publishers trying to equate the "Future of Literacy" with "The Future of Our Company."

Do these people honestly think that if the Big 6 Publishing industry crumbles, there will be no more books or stories?
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #21
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I think the statement made by Mr. president of sales for HarperCollins is wrong on (at least) two counts.

Quote:
"The previous ebook policy would undermine the emerging ebook eco-system, hurt the growing ebook channel..."
How does limiting the number of times an ebook is borrowed do this? All it does is undermine the library's resources because they have to pay more fees. I have bought more ebooks because I have borrowed from the library. Often only a few books in a series were available, I liked them and I bought the rest of the series. I may not have even looked at the series otherwise. Or I discovered an author from borrowing one book and bought many more.

Quote:
"The previous ebook policy would place additional pressure on physical bookstores"
One might argue that ebooks place pressure on physical bookstores, or libraries place pressure on physical bookstores, but I don't see how their lending policy is related to physical bookstores at all.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #22
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I think the statement made by Mr. president of sales for HarperCollins is wrong on (at least) two counts.

How does limiting the number of times an ebook is borrowed do this? All it does is undermine the library's resources because they have to pay more fees. I have bought more ebooks because I have borrowed from the library. Often only a few books in a series were available, I liked them and I bought the rest of the series. I may not have even looked at the series otherwise. Or I discovered an author from borrowing one book and bought many more.

One might argue that ebooks place pressure on physical bookstores, or libraries place pressure on physical bookstores, but I don't see how their lending policy is related to physical bookstores at all.
The quote should be read as ""The previous ebook policy would undermine our ability to squeeze as much money as humanly possibly out of our existing customer base since we do not and will not innovate (unless forced), hurt the growing ebook channel that we hope will make up for the fact that we are very bad at business..."
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
The quote should be read as ""The previous ebook policy would undermine our ability to squeeze as much money as humanly possibly out of our existing customer base since we do not and will not innovate (unless forced), hurt the growing ebook channel that we hope will make up for the fact that we are very bad at business..."
...hmmm
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote