Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #16
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Oh for goodness sake I already differentiated between the large publishing houses and small publishers and indie authors, but you're reacting to what I said with regard to the indie authors as if I was applying it to the major publishers.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #17
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
You said that Amazon's ebook creation software is somewhat difficult to use.

I still say that's no excuse for not checking your work before you hand it in.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 08:46 AM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I notice chapter markers about as much as I notice locations or page numbers. I know everybody reads differently (and reads different kinds of books), but I don't remember tabs or book marks sticking out of real novels marking where the chapter were (novels mind you), so what's the big deal with visible 'tick marks' if the TOC will get you there? If we were talking reference material I could maybe see the importance (still... TOC comes to mind), but the fiction that I usually read seems to like being read from beginning to end -- one page at a time.

So can someone enlighten me as to how seeing where the chapters are (or being able to tippy-tap to the next/previous chapter with a button) would be an advantage to this novel reader -- who only reads books once? What intense joy am I so obviously missing out on?

I'm thinking that the main reason you don't see chapter markers in all Amazon books is the simple fact that a relatively small portion of readers really, truly give a hoot about "speed referencing".
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #19
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The problem happens when you lose your place. When you're reading a book and lose your place- having not bookmarked it and had been messing with your device or files or some such- often you don't remember what chapter it was, but the context of what was happening. This means you'd have to go to the TOC, select a chapter, scan through to find your spot, discover it's the wrong chapter and try again... this takes longer in an ebook than in a physical book if the decidedly quickest way to navigate has been omitted.

And I've bought at least one ebook whose chapter markers only went to half the locations, and also didn't have a TOC at all.

Last edited by chyron8472; 02-20-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Gotcha... that explains why it's never been an issue with me; I don't play with my books, I just read them (and I learned a long time ago to always bookmark).

Dont'cha just love diversity?
Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 09:06 AM   #21
chyron8472
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie View Post
And if you used the software properly but it did it wrong? You do see things in a very black and white view.

Given how much ire is focused on Amazon for things that aren't in its control, it's kind of ironic that, on this issue, where Amazon could rightly be blamed for not making its self-publishing interface sufficiently functional as to create "fully furnished" ebooks, the reader's ire is directed at non-technically minded authors who trust in that tool to do the job properly.

I see it at a very simple problem to solve, and those who are being paid to correct such problems before the work goes public are not doing their jobs properly.

It really is quite simple: use a one (maybe two- if hidden chapter markers is your intent) tier NCX; create a working table of contents; use a standard formatting method for chapter headings; check your work before you hand it in. It's not that hard.

I've not used mobipcket creator or kindlegen, but I still think it can't be that hard to make sure ones work is functioning properly before selling it. A person doesn't have to be technically-minded to know that something is not working when it should be.

Last edited by chyron8472; 02-20-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Lighten up Francis.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #23
chyron8472
Groupie

Sorry, I just got kinda worked up.

It still is rather an annoyance though, to know that a feature is available but that people often don't allow it for use.

Last edited by chyron8472; 02-20-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #24
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Just out of curiosity, what did you use to make the fixes?

Whenever I fix something, it's always with Calibre and Sigil (and then Calibre back to mobi).

Trying to fix something with Mobipocket Creator (the official tools) is a nightmare
I've never tried the "official tools", but I fix them the same way you do it. Convert them to epub with Calibre, open in Sigil and make changes, TOC, etc. Then convert back to MOBI with Calibre. My ebooks look pretty nice that way.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #25
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chyron8472 View Post
Sorry, I just got kinda worked up.

It still is rather an annoyance though, to know that a feature is available but that people often don't allow it for use.
I get really worked up over bad formatting as well, It's hard to believe the formatting of some books, some have no TOC, others have quadruple spaced block paragraphs with no indenting and these are very popular books from the big publishers.

There needs to be a quality standards group formed or something, that can review the books before publishing.

I expect the formatting to be as close to their paper books as possible, since I'm paying for a digital version of it.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #26
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
I get really worked up over bad formatting as well, It's hard to believe the formatting of some books, some have no TOC, others have quadruple spaced block paragraphs with no indenting and these are very popular books from the big publishers.

There needs to be a quality standards group formed or something, that can review the books before publishing.

I expect the formatting to be as close to their paper books as possible, since I'm paying for a digital version of it.
yep, and also due to agency pricing, we sometimes pay more for a digital version. i would want them to make sure that everything is formatted properly before handing it in~

it's just too bad that most of the books i want aren't available here. well, not that i would have the space, anyway *sigh*
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #27
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
there seems a lot of rush by publishers to just get as many ebooks out there as possible.
seems like they simply OCR it and that's it: no proofing, no editing. nothing.
it's like they haven't really started to take ereading seriously.
it's really annoying.
for a good contrast, look at any of the books available here... perfectly and beautifully formatted!
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #28
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
there seems a lot of rush by publishers to just get as many ebooks out there as possible.
seems like they simply OCR it and that's it: no proofing, no editing. nothing.
it's like they haven't really started to take ereading seriously.
it's really annoying.
for a good contrast, look at any of the books available here... perfectly and beautifully formatted!
I really should start taking a look at the MR archives! the main reason why i still get even my PD books from amazon is because they'd archive it for me xD
Old 02-27-2011, 02:47 AM   #29
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
I really should start taking a look at the MR archives! the main reason why i still get even my PD books from amazon is because they'd archive it for me xD
No no no. The free PD books on amazon and google are terrible. Get them here or feedbooks.con
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:05 AM   #30
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
No no no. The free PD books on amazon and google are terrible. Get them here or feedbooks.con
you're right. just looked through one and it was terrible!