Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Is it possible to do this?

Well, I noticed that most of my ebooks don't have cover art inside (the greyscale ones; and yes, I know many don't care, well I do, so there! ), and i've heard that kindle doesn't display book cover art, so I was wondering if there was some way for me to insert cover art inside the file itself.

i'd assume i'd have to break the DRM, or something...? D: i'm not much for messing around with the actual files, though
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
You could use Calibre to fetch the metadata and obtain it that way.
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblem View Post
You could use Calibre to fetch the metadata and obtain it that way.
could you explain a bit more? D: i'm stupid at this. what's metadata?
Old 02-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Metadata is information that the Kindle displays ABOUT the book: title, author, publisher, ISBN - all that kind of stuff.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Calibre can add cover art and other stuff to the metadata. But books I've gotten from Amazon do have cover art - just generally you have to use the MENU key and GOTO.... Cover to see it.

It will also show up when you want to add a book to a collection by pressing the RIGHT ARROW on the 5-way. It shows as a thumbnail image.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
wyndslash
Wizard

@Harry thanks!

@ff2 I mean when you open the book. But it seems that calibre is capable of doing it. Thanks
Old 02-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The "start of book" setting is usually set to start at the beginning of the first chapter. If you want to start at the very beginning, use the menu and do "go to beginning", or go to location 1.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
wyndslash, you can view the cover art (even when it's not included within the file itself) by using the page-back button until you get to it. I usually start at "beginning" and then page-back from there. Or you can press the Menu button, Goto, and then select "cover," as was already pointed out.

(oops -- that works on the Kindle 3, but I'm not sure about your device)

Last edited by DreamWriter; 02-28-2011 at 12:17 PM.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
The thing is - many of the eBooks I've gotten lately don't have the cover art as cover art. They have a picture of the Title Page. You can use Calibre to fix those.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #10
wyndslash
Wizard

thanks guys

@dream: i am getting a k3, thus why i am asking
Old 02-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #11
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
@dream: i am getting a k3, thus why i am asking
Oh, fun! I love my Kindle, and I hope you enjoy yours too!

Almost every ebook I've obtained for my Kindle has had cover art. Some have a title page as well.

Most publishers don't include the cover art separately inside the book itself, but rather they designate it specifically as the cover when they create the book. You can usually view it in the two ways I mentioned in my last post: via the Menu or by paging back repeatedly, past any title page that was included. At least that's been my experience....
Old 02-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #12
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Oh, fun! I love my Kindle, and I hope you enjoy yours too!

Almost every ebook I've obtained for my Kindle has had cover art. Some have a title page as well.

Most publishers don't include the cover art separately inside the book itself, but rather they designate it specifically as the cover when they create the book. You can usually view it in the two ways I mentioned in my last post: via the Menu or by paging back repeatedly, past any title page that was included. At least that's been my experience....
thanks

i tried doing the back thing on my kindle app on my ipod touch and it was there! as long as i know it's there, i'm happy xD

Last edited by wyndslash; 02-28-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #13
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

There is actually an additional way you can view any included cover art on the Kindle 3. From the Home screen, you'll press the right arrow on the 5-way controller. If a cover was designated, it'll display there, along with a few other options for that book. It is a smaller picture on that page, though. If done properly, the cover will fill the Kindle screen when viewed from inside the book itself (via page-back or using Menu).

Last edited by DreamWriter; 02-28-2011 at 06:27 PM.