Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
pookielocks
pookielocks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle 2 Longevity?

I know you can buy extended warranties and stuff like that, but I'm not finding how long the Kindle is intended to last. Does anyone have an idea?
pookielocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
FYI: I moved this thread to the main Kindle section. The developer corner is for software devs that are hacking on the device. Please try to fit your threads to the best fitting section.

BOb
MR Moderator
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
The battery is supposed to last "10 years" with recharging, although that's probably overly optimistic. I've heard some people say that their eink displays have "faded" over time, but that doesn't seem to be a common complaint. The flash memorys is probably rated for over a decade as well.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
The battery is supposed to last "10 years" with recharging, although that's probably overly optimistic.
If I ever have a battery that lasts 10 years, I think I might s*** myself.

I think an item like the Kindle 3-5 years would be a good lifespan.
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
The Kindle 2 may technically be able to last 10 years, but I genuinely doubt anyone will keep it that long. 10 years is at least a few product generations.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
If you use it a lot, plan on two. The battery on K2 is quite a bit worse than K1, in my experience. A big disappointment in that regard.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
If you use it a lot, plan on two. The battery on K2 is quite a bit worse than K1, in my experience. A big disappointment in that regard.

Jim
Really? I thought this one was supposed to be better. Maybe your device is defective?

This makes me wonder about something in general - if you have the battery replaced when it needs to be, how long do you think an ebook reader could last?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #8
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quite a few posts on Amazon about the K2 battery life, 5 or 6 days average as opposed to 2 weeks as stated by Amazon, with the wireless turned off.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #9
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I think its up to you and how good you take care of stuff. Unfortunately, I'm not so good. In the last 10 years or so (????? can't remember exactly how long) I've gone through at least 3 PDA book readers, and ebookman, a Cybook, and now I'm on a Kindle 2. You can probably get better life than I do, but for me three years would be pushing it.

On the other hand, I have seen messages from folks that had Rocket books. I suspect that some of these folks are on year 5 at this time.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Quite a few posts on Amazon about the K2 battery life, 5 or 6 days average as opposed to 2 weeks as stated by Amazon, with the wireless turned off.
Seriously That's insanity. Didn't amazon say this battery lasted longer too?

If K1 people are complaining about it, I'm inclined to believe them. They know what draws power and are already used to how much they read.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:47 AM   #11
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I've got a razor I've had a good seven years and the battery still works fine. My keyfob remote for my car still works after six and that has never been recharged!
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #12
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
Devices tend to last as long as you care for them. Make sure to keep your Kindle in a sturdy case, try not to drop it, or get it wet.
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #13
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
How many K2s will last 10 years without being dropped, lost, stolen or in some other way made to no longer function due just to "normal" usage?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote