Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #61
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
I don't like profanity in books, but I have no problem with those who do. To each his own.

For those of us in the U.S, our Constitution confirms the right of free speech. Speech is only free if all types of speech are allowed, primarily and notably the offensive. My political opinions offend others, my religious views offend others, my use of language offends others. To pretend that we can communicate without offending someone is not realistic.

Sorry about that.

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #62
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
As repugnant as I find all the cited positions, the US Constitution prohibits government from silencing unpopular speech. Otherwise, you get into certain opinions being criminalized ("hate speech" laws), creating "crimethink".

Far as I can tell, a free society will not stay that way if opinions can be punished by law. Inciting violence or harassment are legally actionable, and should be, since those acts infringe on the rights of others.

Would you rather have a "free speech for me, but not for thee" scenario in which only certain views are legal to express, and a shift in political climate could easily render your beliefs crimes?
What you, and others, are ignoring is not the "speech", but the venue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
So the question is still "Does freedom of speech trump all other considerations?"

I'm not talking about the repression of speech. And I'm not talking about the right to scream FIRE in a crowded theater.

I'm talking about the lack of tact....
Tact
"consideration in dealing with others and avoiding giving offense"

Unfortunately there are some that seek out every opportunity to offend.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 02:45 PM   #63
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Actually, I am on topic.

Nihilism - Philosophy
a. An extreme form of skepticism that denies all existence.
b. A doctrine holding that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated."

If one holds that "all values are baseless" then profanity, vulgarity, and offensive language of all sorts are perfectly OK to use in any place or situation.
On topic yes, but committing the logical fallacy equivalent to asserting that because all cows are animals all animals must therefore be cows.

Quote:
As I keep asking "Does freedom of speech trump all other considerations?" It seems that there are those saying that it does. That the language you use is acceptable because you want to use it.
I don't know, does it?

Quote:
Obviously I have offended some. But isn't that my right? I don't think so. But only by offending you, will you perhaps understand that others may be offended too.
I am curious to know who you think you have offended and why you think it matters
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #64
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I don't have a problem with profanities in books but, as others have said, it has to have a function. Same goes for film, tv and stand-up comedy; I have no problem with Billy Connelly, who seems to use three profanities in every sentence he speaks. But many comedians, and some books, film and tv-series try to use profanities to either shock the audience or think it is a way to become popular (unfortunately it often does).

I can't remember any book I've read had an excessive amount of profanty, though I expect Fight Club and a couple of others I've read must have a reasonable number of swear words but not in a context that has bothered me enough to remember it.

Somehow when reading this tread I had to think of the beginning of Four Weddings and a Funeral (no I wasn't bothered by it).

Last edited by Rumpelteazer; 10-24-2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: typo
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #65
primetime34
Zealot
primetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3, Nook 3G
Wouldn't it be nice if there was something similiar to imdb's parent guide for books? Where it doesn't "rate" the book (those are way too subjective anyway) but instead an outline of what was contained in the book that is generally considered objectionable? I prefer not to read any swearing and wish I knew some way to know if I a book I was going to buy would have multiple uses of swearing or explicit sexual dialogue or scenes. However, it doesn't seem there is any way to know...
primetime34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 03:14 PM   #66
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime34 View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if there was something similiar to imdb's parent guide for books? Where it doesn't "rate" the book (those are way too subjective anyway) but instead an outline of what was contained in the book that is generally considered objectionable? I prefer not to read any swearing and wish I knew some way to know if I a book I was going to buy would have multiple uses of swearing or explicit sexual dialogue or scenes. However, it doesn't seem there is any way to know...
What an incredibly sensible suggestion!
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #67
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime34 View Post
Yes, that would be really, really nice!
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:34 PM   #68
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post

I am curious to know who you think you have offended and why you think it matters
I know that it's very strange to think that I would offend someone. But if you live long enough you'll see everything.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #69
Jakie
Connoisseur
Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Blackberry playbook and Q10
The idea that something is offensive, and possibly should be limited because of it, puts us on that slippery slope of political correctness that ends up eliminating any contrary thought. The liberal arts education of the 1960s and 1970s gave rise to populist movements such as the anti Viet Nam demonstrations. Fast forward to the late 1990s where students are ostracized and failed when they have opposing views....not illogical, just opposing. To get back to profanity. Catcher in the Rye was considered a book to be banned. Today it seems very tame. Still worthy, but tame. Who was it who stated that they may not agree with what you say, but defend to the death your right to say it? (Not an American, so I may misquote here.)

John
Jakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #70
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:

And heaven forbid (pun intended) mentioning religion in front of an atheist! It's like waving a red flag in front of an irritated bull. They literally can't control themselves. They just have to attack. To them the word God is THE most offensive profanity around and they'll go to any length to stamp it out or drive the offender away.
As an atheist I'm not offended by the discussion of religion, any more than I would be offended by someone discussing their under water macrame project or their advanced grapefruit cutting course*, your silly hobbies are your own business. My problem lies with those want to insert their church into our state.

*With all apologies to scuba diving weavers and citrus topiarists, your hobbies are no sillier than my backpacking or puttering about with archaic pen technology.

Last edited by Connallmac; 10-24-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #71
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I just did a word count on my work in progress. Total words 26,753. F-word count 79. C-word count 39. Would that count as excessive?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #72
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I just did a word count on my work in progress. Total words 26,753. F-word count 79. C-word count 39. Would that count as excessive?
Depends on the nature of the book.

If it's a gritty realistic drama set against the backdrop of an inner-city gang culture, then it's probably about right.

If it's a children's book called "Lily's Beautiful Pony" aimed at pre-school children, then you may want to think again.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #73
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
And heaven forbid (pun intended) mentioning religion in front of an atheist! It's like waving a red flag in front of an irritated bull. They literally can't control themselves. They just have to attack. To them the word God is THE most offensive profanity around and they'll go to any length to stamp it out or drive the offender away.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #74
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie View Post
The idea that something is offensive, and possibly should be limited because of it, puts us on that slippery slope of political correctness that ends up eliminating any contrary thought. The liberal arts education of the 1960s and 1970s gave rise to populist movements such as the anti Viet Nam demonstrations. Fast forward to the late 1990s where students are ostracized and failed when they have opposing views....not illogical, just opposing. To get back to profanity. Catcher in the Rye was considered a book to be banned. Today it seems very tame. Still worthy, but tame. Who was it who stated that they may not agree with what you say, but defend to the death your right to say it? (Not an American, so I may misquote here.)

John
Most people think it was Voltaire but it actually was E. B. Hall.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:42 PM   #75
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
As an atheist I'm not offended by the discussion of religion, any more than I would be offended by someone discussing their under water macrame project or their advanced grapefruit cutting course*, your silly hobbies are your own business. My problem lies with those want to insert their church into our state.

*With all apologies to scuba diving weavers and citrus topiarists, your hobbies are no sillier than my backpacking or puttering about with archaic pen technology.
Curious. I am a Fundamentalist Christian (just don't lump me in with the hateful, narrow minded, Bible thumping ones in the news) and I have the same "problem."
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote