Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-14-2010, 10:51 PM   #16
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgn View Post
Sorry - that link gives a 404 error.
Weird, I can open it without problems. Please try copy/paste the path: http://www.pocketbook-usa.com/support/pocketbook-302/
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:06 PM   #17
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpupsik View Post
Weird, I can open it without problems. Please try copy/paste the path: http://www.pocketbook-usa.com/support/pocketbook-302/
Sorry - I was not clear. I can go to the download page ok (your link), but the download link on that webpage does not work.
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:00 AM   #18
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Quote:
Sorry - that link gives a 404 error.
It is working now.

Also new firmware is available for download on http://pocketbook.reader-ebook.org/support/downloads/

Last edited by tvpupsik; 06-16-2010 at 10:05 PM. Reason: updated links for firmware downloads
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:43 AM   #19
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
Quote:
Transferring books to the internal memory with Calibre is painfully slow. It took 15+ minutes to transfer 700 books. I have only done it once - not game to have another go as life is just too short!
It seems like everything involving calibre gets slower and slower the more features Kovad dumps into it. I think the biggest part of the problem is the python layer; everything has to go through that interpreter. I copy my books directly from my hardrive to the device, after dumping them out of calibre and doing some post-processing to remove duplicates.

Quote:
It is not as easy to hold as a Kindle, for example because of this. Also - it is a bit hard to charge the unit - you have to remove it a bit from the case to do this.
Conveniently, the PB302 is almost exactly the same size as a Kindle. I didn't like the cover either, so I got a kindlecover (there's about a bazillion different types of them out there), cut off the brackets that hook into the Kindle, and put some velcro on the back of the PB (NOT on the battery cover) and I am in stylish, horizontal flipping, all ports exposed bliss.
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:10 AM   #20
kgn
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainycat View Post
I copy my books directly from my hardrive to the device, after dumping them out of calibre and doing some post-processing to remove duplicates.
Yes - I am thinking I might do that myself.

Quote:
I didn't like the cover either, so I got a kindlecover (there's about a bazillion different types of them out there), cut off the brackets that hook into the Kindle, and put some velcro on the back of the PB (NOT on the battery cover) and I am in stylish, horizontal flipping, all ports exposed bliss.
Now that is a GOOD idea!!! I will do the same. I have had a look at a few on Ebay - it looks like the 4 corner tabs should fit the 302 fairly well? Do you really have to cut them off?

Thanks for the idea.

Last edited by kgn; 06-15-2010 at 02:31 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:29 AM   #21
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
It is a shame it does not allow access to the charge port though...seems a strange over-sight.
I shall repeat what I said in my post, "the cover allows access to every port", and yes, including the charge port ..... (on my version). Seems I may have an updated version ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:51 AM   #22
kgn
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I shall repeat what I said in my post, "the cover allows access to every port", and yes, including the charge port ..... (on my version). Seems I may have an updated version ?
Certainly not in mine. It is quite a pain. I guess they want you to use the USB port for charging. Perhaps anyone buying one now should specify that they want the cover with the extra hole?

I am thinking about drilling a hole in the leather cover - it should not be that hard.

More an isssue for me at the moment are the side buttons. I had actually contacted Service - I thought the buttons were stuffed. No. The thing is the side buttons are fairly unusual - they pivot on the outside edge. ie when you press on them, you do not press the outside of the button as you would expect - you press the INSIDE of the button. Quite why they decided to do this is beyond me. But anyway - with the leather cover on it is hard to press these buttons as the cover is a very tight fit around the buttons. I have been experimenting - if I use my finger nail I can get the buttons to work ok. Dunno how that is going to work in the long run though.

The thing is, I was putting a bit of pressure on the outside of the buttons, as anybody would. Lucky I did not break any of the buttons! They really should mention this in the manual - if I was near the place I bought it, I would have taken the thing back. It is only after I took the cover off, and gave it a good look over that I realised how the buttons worked. It is a weird design.

The thing is, the cover is looking worse and worse. I am looking at what another poster in this forum did - he (she) got a cover meant for a Kindle 2. Seems a very good idea to me.

Last edited by kgn; 06-15-2010 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:09 AM   #23
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
The thing is the side buttons are fairly unusual - they pivot on the outside edge. ie when you press on them, you do not press the outside of the button as you would expect - you press the INSIDE of the button.
Strange. When I was testing PB302 for a couple of days I haven't noticed that. The truth is, I was mainly playing with the touch screen ;-)
Quote:
Quite why they decided to do this is beyond me.
Perhaps they listened to people complaining about Kindle 1 and how you can't pick the Kindle 1 up without pressing a button inadvertently.
I am pretty sure that with this button construction you can hold the device without accidentally pressing a button.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:25 AM   #24
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Strange. When I was testing PB302 for a couple of days I haven't noticed that. The truth is, I was mainly playing with the touch screen ;-)

Perhaps they listened to people complaining about Kindle 1 and how you can't pick the Kindle 1 up without pressing a button inadvertently.
I am pretty sure that with this button construction you can hold the device without accidentally pressing a button.
In fact, yes. That's the reason why the buttons are turned inward. That way is nearly impossible to accidentally push them.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:50 AM   #25
kgn
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
In fact, yes. That's the reason why the buttons are turned inward. That way is nearly impossible to accidentally push them.
Ah yes - now it makes sense. But since it is so counter intuitive, you really should mention it in the manual.

Unfortunately it also makes them hard to press intentionally!

Last edited by kgn; 06-15-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #26
PocketGoods
Banned
PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: PB360
Quote:
I didn't like the cover either, so I got a kindlecover (there's about a bazillion different types of them out there), cut off the brackets that hook into the Kindle, and put some velcro on the back of the PB (NOT on the battery cover) and I am in stylish, horizontal flipping, all ports exposed bliss.
Hi,

If you do not like the original cover of PB302 you may like ours Especially for PB302 we developed premium cover made of first-class genuine leather.

In Germany it is a bestseller now...

http://www.pocketgoods.de/index.php?...ok-302&cat=c5&
PocketGoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #27
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
Quote:
...it looks like the 4 corner tabs should fit the 302 fairly well? Do you really have to cut them off?
The m-edge cover I got has two brackets on the spine. I felt that the brackets posed too much of a scratch risk to the device and would interfere with the buttons. They are simple to remove; I crimped the bracket where it meets the anchor piece with a pair of sidecutters, then grabbed the bracket with widenose pliers and worked the brackets back and forth until they broke off.

I also cut off the elastic restraints on the outside corners.

The new cover on the .de site is a vast improvement over the cover that shipped with the device, IMHO, but I prefer the massive adhesion that I get from 10in^2 of industrial velcro and the smooth leather. That's just a personal preference.
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #28
kgn
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketGoods View Post
Hi,

If you do not like the original cover of PB302 you may like ours Especially for PB302 we developed premium cover made of first-class genuine leather.

In Germany it is a bestseller now...
Hey - I would love one!! But with the exchange rate the way it is, and freight to Australia, it is a bit out of my price range.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:09 AM   #29
PocketGoods
Banned
PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: PB360
Quote:
Hey - I would love one!! But with the exchange rate the way it is, and freight to Australia, it is a bit out of my price range.
Hi,

Currently you can order it directly from Germany only.
We ship to Australia too. Shipping - 16 EUR..
PocketGoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #30
agravier
agravier began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360, if I can find one...
I've updated the review ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...04&postcount=2 ).
One of the issues for which I would like to get an answer is: how to get into column mode?
Secondly, I have a few PDFs which are actually made of scans, and they display as completely white in the reader, with both applications. It's a little more common than other PDF problems so I'd liek to know if there is a know solution to that?
agravier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pb302, pocketbook 302, review, unboxing, warranty