Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
geekybookworm
geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle PW
New Paperwhite from amazon.de

Hi,

I got my new Paperwhite recently and I am not quite satisfied with the screen. I was expecting some shadows on the bottom so I wasn’t surprised. It could be better but I can live with that.
The thing that bothers me is these little specks of light, there are four of them but one more noticeable then the rest. And there is a gap between the bezel and the screen on the left side approximately 0,5-1 cm from the bottom where some light is seeping out.

I know I could get a replacement, but I am not sure if it is worth the bother. What are the chances of getting a better screen? I am not living in Germany, so I had to send my kindle to a German address and then forward it to my country, so there are shipping costs I have to think of.

And that is another thing that bothers me. As international customer I should buy my Kindles from the US. I did so with my first Kindle (KK) and I buy my eBooks from there. But it was quite a hassle with the customs last time and I thought it will be easier to send it back to Germany than to the US in case of an exchange, so I decided to buy it from Germany. It is possible I didn’t quite think it through.
So if I decide to exchange it, is it possible that Amazon.de CS will have problems with me not really living in Germany? I have read some things about banning Amazon accounts. Is there any evidence that buying Kindle from another Amazon site than you are supposed to, could get you banned?

And last thing – if I get a replacement Kindle within 30 days, do I get a new or a refurbished one?

Thank you and sorry for any mistakes (not a native English speaker).
geekybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
Dallista
Connoisseur
Dallista doesn't litterDallista doesn't litter

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekybookworm View Post
is it possible that Amazon.de CS will have problems with me not really living in Germany? I have read some things about banning Amazon accounts. Is there any evidence that buying Kindle from another Amazon site than you are supposed to, could get you banned?
I don't see how you did anything ban-worthy. If it was, they should've thought of that the minute you ordered. I assume your credit card is registered in your country of residence, so it's not like they haven't got a clue where you really live.
I live in Holland and bought my Kindle PW from amazon.de, as well. Smoothest transaction ever (probably the fastest ever, too).
Dallista is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
I've had 5 Paperwhites in the last month, and none of them had glowing specks or light seepage, if that helps at all.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekybookworm View Post
The thing that bothers me is these little specks of light, there are four of them but one more noticeable then the rest. And there is a gap between the bezel and the screen on the left side approximately 0,5-1 cm from the bottom where some light is seeping out.
You mean like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJYGXz_pQ8s
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
geekybookworm
geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekybookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
yes, exactly
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
geekybookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallista View Post
I don't see how you did anything ban-worthy. If it was, they should've thought of that the minute you ordered. I assume your credit card is registered in your country of residence, so it's not like they haven't got a clue where you really live.
I live in Holland and bought my Kindle PW from amazon.de, as well. Smoothest transaction ever (probably the fastest ever, too).
Yes, my card is registered in my home country. I suppose I am a little bit paranoid but I am planning on buying two more PW so it never hurts to check. I have grown quite attached to my Kindle(s) and my eBook library.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:49 AM   #7
geekybookworm

Update: I have decided to try for a replacement. They didn't seem to have problems with me living out of Germany. I hope the next one is better.