Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
If you live someplace sunnier than Minnesota

...could you run a test for me? Take your reader outside in the sun and bring up a picture. When I've been testing the stock "baby" pic seems to work best because it's not very "busy", but I also just made a quick black rectangle with Paint and saved it as a jpg. Cover half the screen and flip back and forth between the test image and whatever other images you may have. Do that a few times, then uncover the screen and look at the test image. Do you see a line?? If you do the test with text, is the clarity of the text rendering on the unshaded side acceptable to you?

The reason I ask is that my first reader faded unacceptably in sunlight, to the point where it is hard to read. I got an "advanced replacement" refurb unit. Here in Minnesota's weak Spring sunshine, the text seems to remain OK, but if I put it through the above test, it still fades detectably. Sony is now trying to tell me that this is "normal, the screen does it to protect itself", and that I should "find a tree or other source of shade". I'm worried that come Summer, when our sun is stronger, the new unit will also fade unacceptably.

It wouldn't bug me so much (it's fine if you shade it during page turns) if I hadn't been majorly jerked around by their customer support, and if reading clarity "outside in the sunshine" wasn't specifically and repeatedly promised in their marketing materials.

ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:01 AM   #2
jduvall
Enthusiast
jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!jduvall will blow your mind, man!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
...could you run a test for me? Take your reader outside in the sun and bring up a picture. When I've been testing the stock "baby" pic seems to work best because it's not very "busy", but I also just made a quick black rectangle with Paint and saved it as a jpg. Cover half the screen and flip back and forth between the test image and whatever other images you may have. Do that a few times, then uncover the screen and look at the test image. Do you see a line?? If you do the test with text, is the clarity of the text rendering on the unshaded side acceptable to you?

The reason I ask is that my first reader faded unacceptably in sunlight, to the point where it is hard to read. I got an "advanced replacement" refurb unit. Here in Minnesota's weak Spring sunshine, the text seems to remain OK, but if I put it through the above test, it still fades detectably. Sony is now trying to tell me that this is "normal, the screen does it to protect itself", and that I should "find a tree or other source of shade". I'm worried that come Summer, when our sun is stronger, the new unit will also fade unacceptably.

It wouldn't bug me so much (it's fine if you shade it during page turns) if I hadn't been majorly jerked around by their customer support, and if reading clarity "outside in the sunshine" wasn't specifically and repeatedly promised in their marketing materials.

PRS-600 Screen Washed Out

Seems like its a some what known issue you can maybe exchange if it bugs you enough as it seems some people have
jduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduvall View Post
PRS-600 Screen Washed Out

Seems like its a some what known issue you can maybe exchange if it bugs you enough as it seems some people have
Thanks, I have several posts on that thread. What I'm *trying* to determine is whether there exist units that fail my image test (show a line), but have OK text somewhere with bright sunshine. My replacement unit shows a line, but so far the text looks OK. But I'm not sure if it will STILL be OK in the sunshine come August.

When I told Sony the replacement unit had a detectable fade, they told me it was normal and offered to give me my money back (if I paid shipping to return the product). If I find that there are people with units who pass the image test in bright sunshine, I'll try pressing them again. If there are units who pass the image test, but the text is still OK, I'll ship my original unit back and be more or less content with the replacement unit.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
Hi - Bright, clear sunny (75!!) day in Maine today. I put the baby out on the deck in the sunlight for a 1/2 hour and the baby looks as good after that time as it did inside. So, I'd say it's your reader. I have a PRS 600.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
ziegl027
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelec View Post
Hi - Bright, clear sunny (75!!) day in Maine today. I put the baby out on the deck in the sunlight for a 1/2 hour and the baby looks as good after that time as it did inside. .
Thanks! Did you turn the page, though? It's the page-refresh in sunlight that kills it, not just sitting out in the sun.
Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #6
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I actually sat with it in direct sunlight, read for about 20 minutes (with it propped so it was directly in the sun), then left it out on the table for awhile, took my daughter to work, etc., then came back and flipped through the 3 stock pictures. They all looked the same as when I first went into the sunlight. Hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:27 AM   #7
mbern1008
mbern1008 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600 Red
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4kp121lh7Q Check out the video as an example of the problem. After two exchanges I know have one that is working acceptably.
mbern1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
mbelec
Addict

Mine doesn't do that at all. No fading in direct sunlight.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:42 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Mine is a 505 but I have no fading at all.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote