Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #1
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PRS-600 and PRS-350
order of operations - a comment on the Russification hack

So I bit the bullet a couple of weekends ago and Russified my PRS-600. Not for the language of course -- for the clock! It didn't take me long to notice, however that the page turns tended to lag a bit -- sometimes.

I'm a bit picky on refresh rates and the -600 was the first E-ink screen I could tolerate, so I wasn't sure if I was being overly sensitive (in a rush), or if it really had changed . . . so I started paging through. To my frustration, each time I tried to catch it lagging, it behaved just fine. after a while I discovered it that only the first page lagged. If I did more soon after, no problem.

then I noticed this:

I took this movie above to show a distinct order of operation *if* the book has been sitting more than a minuet.

1: a depress
2: the clock updates
3: the text updates

Ah-Ha! so there's the lag!

Oh Crud! It's WAY beyond my skill to fix it.

And so, I submit to the PRS hackers and Linux gurus, is there a way to switch the order so the clock updates after the text refreshes?

Dan <><
CraftyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Interesting... I would like the clock, but it's just not worth it to me..... On the other hand the clock and the button page turns have been tempting.....

Because of the way an eInk screen operates the clock would never change if you didn't turn a page.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Interesting... I would like the clock, but it's just not worth it to me..... On the other hand the clock and the button page turns have been tempting.....

Because of the way an eInk screen operates the clock would never change if you didn't turn a page.....
That's exactly what I would do it for, the clock! But I also don't think it's worth messing up my reader. I have to think about this very carefully.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
rkelac
rkelac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Not quite. There is an option in this firmware to have the clock update without a page turn. However, it supposedly decreases battery life.
rkelac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:34 AM   #5
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I did the russification last weekend, and using the boroda 1.05b version was almost to easy. It has an installer. I really love the clock display which I got used to on my 505.
And there's also the screenshot-function that comes in handy sometimes.

Cole, if you like to mess around with gadgets, then go for it. If you're more afraid of bricking the reader, then an external clock is probably better.
If you want more information on my experience about flashing let me know or look around for my other posts about russification.

Take care
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert