Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-07-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Now that I know about Mobi

Can anyone give me an opinion on the 3000 plus classics on sale there for $20??

Yes, yes, I know they can all be had at PG for free ... got it, don't need to hear that again. My concern is as to whether or not it is well formatted and has had any spell check or other corrections made to it by the seller.

If so, it could be well worth my money. If not .... then probably not so much. Although, even just saving the time on a bulk download could be worth $20 come to think of it.

Any thoughts??
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:45 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Where's this "there"?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2008, 09:11 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
if you are looking for classics, i would recomment you start *here*, actually, in the ebooks section ; members of MR have uploaded thousands (over 5000, at last count) of PD books which have been lovingly formatted by them first, and they are all free.

they are infinitely superior to the brut texts you find at PG for presentation (no lack of respect though, mind you ; i love PG for source material). they generally have linked Table of contents at the very least and many have illustrations and other such enhancements. if you decide that it's worth your time to try formatting your own texts one day, in fact, i would encourage you to post them here as well.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Here's the link.

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...D=21627#review

I was thinking more in terms of the time it would save me (as opposed to downloading the classics one at a time from here). I'm all about time management here ... what with 22 little mouths to feed everyday.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
well, true, but will you really read all 3.000 of them ? it might not be such a huge investment of time to download them individually as you want to read them.

i'm not trying to convince you though ; if you want to buy the cd, go crazy ! just suggesting other options, in case you didn't realize there were any.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Oh, no ... all options duly noted. I was just curious if the collection was worth $20. If it's not well formatted ... something like that ... then I would debate it. But, I'm thinking not only of the time that would save me (even at 10 seconds per download ... and you know it takes longer than that .... we're talking about maybe 10 hours or so of time. That translates into roughly $2500 of income for me). But also of something I could easily put on an SD card for a friend as a gift.

Ech .... I think I may have talked myself into it.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
But if you only read a few of them, then it's not saving you much time. You still would have to look through 3000 titles to see if there's something you want. I would recommend feedbooks.com download guide. They have good books and you can download them on the fly over wireless in very little time. You can multitask and make yourself a cup of tea while you wait, unless you've forgone beverages due to the income lost while consuming them.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:59 AM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
But if you only read a few of them, then it's not saving you much time. You still would have to look through 3000 titles to see if there's something you want. I would recommend feedbooks.com download guide. They have good books and you can download them on the fly over wireless in very little time. You can multitask and make yourself a cup of tea while you wait, unless you've forgone beverages due to the income lost while consuming them.
No, I still eat, drink and occasionally take a shower, just like everyone else. Although, I seldom drink tea .... a can of soda is ever so much faster. Also, it's really sort of easy to see the list of authors covered in those 3,000 books, so I have a good idea what I'm getting.

Now, if you had only considered that my original post was asking whether anyone had actually purchased this set and knew about its quality, you could have been helpful in your reply ... instead of a teensy bit snotty.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:19 AM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I would worry about the collection a bit as one of the reviews mentioned that all of each writer's output is in a single file. Thus all of Dickens is in one 10 MB file.

I have gotten good results from the Silk Pagoda (BlackMask) CD for the Sony Reader. It is in PDF formatted for the Sony/Gen3/Kindle screen. http://www.silkpagoda.com/catalog/pr...e21388b9291455

I'm with Zelda on this one, the best formatted works are here at MobileRead.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I would worry about the collection a bit as one of the reviews mentioned that all of each writer's output is in a single file. Thus all of Dickens is in one 10 MB file.

I have gotten good results from the Silk Pagoda (BlackMask) CD for the Sony Reader. It is in PDF formatted for the Sony/Gen3/Kindle screen. http://www.silkpagoda.com/catalog/pr...e21388b9291455

Thank you. That was actually a helpful reply. I'll look into that.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:01 PM   #11
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post

Instead of getting the PDF disk, go for the one with books in Sony .lrf format -- http://www.silkpagoda.com/catalog/pr...e21388b9291455 Same $9.99 price. And you can sample one or two of the books for the quality of their formatting by downloading from Munseys (http://www.blackmask.com).
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:15 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Instead of getting the PDF disk, go for the one with books in Sony .lrf format -- http://www.silkpagoda.com/catalog/pr...e21388b9291455 Same $9.99 price. And you can sample one or two of the books for the quality of their formatting by downloading from Munseys (http://www.blackmask.com).
I looked at this. The DVD lists Agatha Christie as one of the authors. I think here stuff is still in copyright, isn't it?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:45 PM   #13
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
There are two pre-1923 Agatha Christies, which are PD in the USA ( but not elsewhere).
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:47 PM   #14
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Can you read that format on a Kindle??
Old 06-13-2008, 06:49 PM   #15
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
There are two pre-1923 Agatha Christies, which are PD in the USA ( but not elsewhere).
Yeah, and I found those as a free download .... somewhere. I can't remember now.