Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #1
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
e-book settlement finally approved

Around a year and a half ago I got my first email from Amazon promising a credit from the price-fix-6 publishers. I think it vaguely intimated I could expect it around a year and 3 months ago.

Got another back in September. Looks like the legal wrangling is finally over and the credits should appear early next year.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...arly-2014.html
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Thanks for letting us know about this. My last email from Amazon was at the end of August, saying that the court was due to approve the settlement in December, subject to any appeal. So it looks like it's on target.

I'm looking forward to receiving my windfall in 2014. I estimate it could be as much as $1.46.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Thanks for letting us know about this. My last email from Amazon was at the end of August, saying that the court was due to approve the settlement in December, subject to any appeal. So it looks like it's on target.

I'm looking forward to receiving my windfall in 2014. I estimate it could be as much as $1.46.

Mike
Pity it's US-only. Having bought 3000+ ebooks from Amazon, I reckon I'd be in for quite a windfall if I were eligible .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I figure that I bought a 100+ ebooks from Amazon during the time period in question, so it will be interesting to see how much I get in credit.

Can't say that I feel particularly cheated by the publishers, I knew the cost of the books when I bought them. If I had felt they were too much, I could have always not bought them. On the other hand, the credit will be applied regardless, so I'm sure I will find a good home for however many ebooks this will buy. It's most likely I will apply the credit to books that fill in my collections. I certainly haven't been holding off buying books that I wanted in anticipation for getting the credit.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have 226 books purchased in the time frame. Any book that has been a best seller is worth $3.06, all others are worth $0.73. If all of my books were best sellers (and they are not) I would get $691.56. If none of them were best sellers I would get $164.98. I am guessing that I will get somewhere in the neighborhood of $300.

If I read the settlement page correctly, that does not include Apple money. If I read Amazon's email right, that money can only be used for e-books.

I hope that it can be used for anything at Amazon because there is a great Tea Machine that I want and I would love to use that money for that. If not, I guess I won't feel guilty about buying some more ebooks for a while.

I am also surprised by the dates, 1 APR 2010 makes sense. But the end date is 21 May 2012 which strikes me as early. I guess I would have thought that some time in 2013 makes sense but I could be totally off the timing.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I'm getting nothing back. I'm pretty certain it's because I didn't buy any books.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
No idea how many of the numerous books I purchased during that time period were from the infracting publishers.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I went and did a count in My Kindle Page. Each page has 15 books on it, count the number of pages and there you go. I rarely get free books, most don't interest me, so the numbers is probably about right. I will be interested to see what they qualify as a bestseller and if we are going to get a book by book break down. It would be easu enough for them to do that.

And I am interested to see what happens with the Apple Verdict because that is clearly not included in this settlement.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I went and did a count in My Kindle Page. Each page has 15 books on it, count the number of pages and there you go.
I tried this with mine, but on some I don't know who the publisher is off hand and it's too much work to check each book individually to see if it's one of the five or one of their labels and not a smaller publisher or Random House. Guess I don't care enough to research it.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I am assuming that all of my books are from the major publishers. I don't read too many Indie authors and my Mother, who is on my account, reads no Indie authors.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Yeah, I have a lot from smaller NY publishers and Random House (don't do much self pub stuff), not just the five involved in this. Too much work to sort out, I'll get what credit I get and spend it on more books when the time comes.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Yup, just guestimating here. I'll take what I'll take
Old 03-02-2014, 09:02 AM   #13
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
For some reason, I thought that I read that Feb. would be the month, however given that credits haven't shown up, that appears not to be the case. Someone said on one of the Amazon forums that they had read that it had been pushed out to May.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #14
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
For some reason, I thought that I read that Feb. would be the month, however given that credits haven't shown up, that appears not to be the case. Someone said on one of the Amazon forums that they had read that it had been pushed out to May.
If it's pushed out until May, I'm wondering about the books I bought from the Sony store. I think they will be closed by then. Also, since I don't use Amazon now that I have a great Kobo eReader, how can I collect my refund if Amazon only allows book credits and they don't sell any ePub books.

Of course, other book stores went out of business in the meantime. I bought over 100 from Books On Board... Untangling this could get convoluted.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #15
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
... since I don't use Amazon now that I have a great Kobo eReader, how can I collect my refund if Amazon only allows book credits and they don't sell any ePub books.
You should be able to use the credit to buy physical books from Amazon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by From Amazon's email
... a credit will appear automatically in your Amazon.com account that can be used to purchase Kindle books or print books.
Of course, you might not want to buy physical books either. But maybe you will be able to use the credit to buy other products as well.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote