Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 02:56 AM   #151
opusitibm
opusitibm began at the beginning.

Device: K3, KT
Unhappy Same issue here in K3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG8 View Post
Maybe upload it to a torrent site?
As popular as the Kindle is, you would think that the file would be somewhere else other than that 1 site.
I had K3 keyboard, here is what happen.

I follow the guide in wiki and download 3.02 image, ATK recognized my K3 after several iteration of 30s and volumn button, the flash took more than 4 hours for the rootfs.bin, finally both done successfully according to ATK (over night). Now kindle is at total blank, no response to any key or power button. Charging light permanent yellow and turn off a few hours charging, charge again appears same cycle.

One thing strange is, now my computer can recognize it as MX device and install driver automatically once connect it. But the K3 wont boot up. Am trying to get 3.3 image and try again, since now ATK can recognize it immediately, it is just a time and image, then pray..
opusitibm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:12 AM   #152
opusitibm

WinRar report same CRC check failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It does not appear to be meant for anyone:
Code:
core2quad Downloads $ unzip -t mmcblk0p1-k3g-3.3.zip
Archive:  mmcblk0p1-k3g-3.3.zip
    testing: mmcblk0p1.img            bad CRC fb5ad0ed  (should be 1de996c8)
At least one error was detected in mmcblk0p1-k3g-3.3.zip.
and:
Code:
core2quad Downloads $ 7z t mmcblk0p1-k3g-3.3.zip

7-Zip 9.20  Copyright (c) 1999-2010 Igor Pavlov  2010-11-18
p7zip Version 9.20 (locale=en_US.UTF-8,Utf16=on,HugeFiles=on,4 CPUs)

Processing archive: mmcblk0p1-k3g-3.3.zip

Testing     mmcblk0p1.img     CRC Failed

Sub items Errors: 1
Although that does not explain how GM was unable to detect the same error.

Downloaded using windows tool and when unzip, Winrar report CRC checksum error, will try one more time.

Anyone had 3.3 image link other than this? thank you

Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 03:35 AM   #153
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
We provided a link to download 3.0.8 because of the CRC problem with 3.3.

Did you flash your image to the correct offset? Did you flash a matching kernel with your image?

If you flashed it to 0x0, that could account for not booting (going directly to USB Downloader mode). Hawhill provided a boot loader and partition table image to flash at 0x0, in case you damaged yours by flashing the main partition image to the wrong location.

I hope you did not overwrite your serial number and other "idme" vars. Can you still fetch the serial number from your kindle?

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-14-2012 at 03:38 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:54 AM   #154
opusitibm

How do I use this boot loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Attached to this post is the partition table and the (open sourced, free software) boot loader part. It goes to offset 0x0 - after gunzipping it, of course (i.e.: don't flash this file directly).

However, this does not include the device ID part that seems to be at offset 0x00040c00. I'm not sure what exactly the K3 does when there's garbage data in that part, too. And in case you managed to write something to 0x0 of your eMMC device and want to recover, it would depend on the size of that something whether more than this partition table and bootloader is needed.

Kernel, Rootfs and this file do contain most of what you need for recovery, but not everything. I'm not sure what the function of the part is that is referred to as "ISIS" in Amazon's code - however, that could be determined. At least that part (offset 0x00381000, length 0x00040000) hasn't been made available as far as I know. And I would strongly recommend to not make the part that stores the device ID public...
Sorry, I am not a Linux person, can share how to use this in Windows environment? thank you
Old 09-14-2012, 04:13 AM   #155
opusitibm

Your Kindle needs repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by opusitibm View Post
Sorry, I am not a Linux person, can share how to use this in Windows environment? thank you
So dumb me. I flashed the partition table, now kindle is able to boot. After several reboot sequency automatically, now Kindle stop at a message said " Your Kindle Needs Repair." and contact Amazon and so on. any suggestion to get it fix?
thank you so much
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 04:49 AM   #156
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So dumb me. I flashed the partition table, now kindle is able to boot. After several reboot sequency automatically, now Kindle stop at a message said " Your Kindle Needs Repair." and contact Amazon and so on. any suggestion to get it fix?
thank you so much
You may be the first to have this problem on a K3, but it was a common problem on a K5.

You need to reset the boot counter. The simplest way would probably be to zero the persistent user store partition that contains it. Although on the K4/K5 that is mmcblk0p3, on a K3 it is different. There is probably information about the partition layouts either in this thread, or in the k3flasher thread.

For more information about resetting the boot counter on the K5 (to get an idea of what you need to do on your K3), search the forums. It may also be in the K5 hacking wiki.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:31 AM   #157
opusitibm

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You may be the first to have this problem on a K3, but it was a common problem on a K5.

You need to reset the boot counter. The simplest way would probably be to zero the persistent user store partition that contains it. Although on the K4/K5 that is mmcblk0p3, on a K3 it is different. There is probably information about the partition layouts either in this thread, or in the k3flasher thread.

For more information about resetting the boot counter on the K5 (to get an idea of what you need to do on your K3), search the forums. It may also be in the K5 hacking wiki.
Thanks for the suggestion. I managed to go recovery mode so that it can connect to PC. The root folder in the kindle is empty, is that the cause.

I will check on boot counter you recommend above. thanks.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #158
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@geekmaster: The boot counter wasn't so pissy as on the Touch on those older devices.

You can safely hard-reboot from the 'YKNR' screen, and it will do the 5 or 10 tries again, IIRC .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #159
opusitibm

Tried hard reboot 3 times already, still showing message after few reboot by itself.

I realized I flash image 3.02, but the bootloader us 3.3, is there anywhere to get the 3.3 image? thank you
Old 09-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #160
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I don't think the bootloader ever changed, that would have been a bit too risky and simply unnecessary. But kernel and rootfs should match (if you want to upgrade later, that is).

I'm not too sure here under which conditions that "repair needed" screen is shown.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #161
geekmaster

Quote:
Tried hard reboot 3 times already, still showing message after few reboot by itself.

I realized I flash image 3.02, but the bootloader us 3.3, is there anywhere to get the 3.3 image? thank you
But which KERNEL do you have? The 3.0.2 mmcblk0p1 needs the 3.0.2 kernel.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #162
opusitibm

yes, I was using 3.02 kernel and the 2 zip combined rootfs file, both downloaded from pastebin.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #163
grapherd
grapherd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
if my kindle fw is 3.3, can i use 3.0.2 kernel to recover ?

thanks
grapherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #164
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapherd View Post
if my kindle fw is 3.3, can i use 3.0.2 kernel to recover ?

thanks
You can use 3.0.2 if you flash both the kernel and main partition. Be sure to download both parts of the multi-part zip file before extracting it. It was split because it was larger than the maximum file size allowed at that hosting provider.

You cannot use a 3.0.2 kernel with a 3.3 main partition.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #165
grapherd
grapherd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
thanks for the answer, I'll test it on win xp tomorrow
grapherd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debrick, debricking, howto, kindle 3