Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Funniest thread of the forums

Over at the Kindle forums is the funniest thread ever! The question is: What would you change about your Kindle? The answers: The are longing for epub, library compability and a pearl touchscreen.

Check it out!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Poppaea, it is a bit not-nice for you to post in that thread that the Sonys have many of the features they want.

Frankly, even if I did have a Kindle and could read liberated library books in mobi on it, the lack of a "real" Table of Contents would drive me bonkers! I often Option to it to see how much of the current chapter is left!

I had not realized that they cannot add their own screen saver images, although that wouldn't bother me a lot.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Poppaea, it is a bit not-nice for you to post in that thread that the Sonys have many of the features they want.

I know! But who said I am nice?

I am still laughing my butt off! I mean all the time the Kindle owners tell you how nice their Kindle is and how expensive a Sony is... yeah, you get what you pay for!
Old 02-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I did get a chuckle out of the person who disliked the Kindle "back" button.

It seems their loyalty is based on the gratification of the Whispersync downloading of the extensive Kindle Store offerings, than the units themselves.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Yes, which would be fine if they claimed so, but mostly it is how wonderful the Kindle is. Which I just don't buy. I had this reader before I bought the Sony and even though I loved it a lot, there were always things I wished it had, like a touchscreen or stand-by or... you get the picture. In the end, everything I missed back then is what the Sony has. I couldn't be happier. Had I done my research more thoroughly in the beginning I would have bought the Sony right away.

Last edited by Poppaea; 02-19-2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: typo
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I have a kindle and a Sony. Like them both, but when I have the same book for both, I read it on the kindle.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
I have two Sony readers and they please me very much. But when I bought a reader for my parents, I got them the Kindle, because I thought it would be easier for them. Kinda like when my mother got her first computer I put her on AOL even though I didn't use it myself. For people who don't want to do any tinkering, Whispersync is the killer app.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizilla View Post
I have two Sony readers and they please me very much. But when I bought a reader for my parents, I got them the Kindle, because I thought it would be easier for them. Kinda like when my mother got her first computer I put her on AOL even though I didn't use it myself. For people who don't want to do any tinkering, Whispersync is the killer app.
Yep. If nothing changes by the time my mom wants a reader, she'll be getting a Kindle because it's the easiest to get the greatest variety of books onto. She would probably like a touchscreen, and she would probably like library access, and she would certainly like the ability to get books at B&N, Sony, etc. if Amazon doesn't have them, but that is all trumped by the Kindle's simplicity when it comes to buying lots of books and having them immediately delivered. No reader is perfect, but the Kindle is best for a lot of people.

I do think that thread is partially populated with people who got a Kindle because it is The Ebook Reader, and love it because it is a nice device that does its job well, but who would (absent marketing and popularity) be better served by the feature set of a Sony or nook or iPad or other reader.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
The current Kindle has a pearl screen. They had it for on the market before Sony did.

I still prefer my Kindle over my Sony 950. The user interface and buttons are better for the way I read. I can live without the touchscreen.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
lkkmaths
lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kindle 3; PRS-350
I also have a sony (650) and a kindle (k3).

I must say that the sony is lighter and smaller (which are important), has a touch screen (not that important).

But the fonts shown in in the reader is just not sharp enough when compared with the kindle (even though I have hacked the reader), and this is very important.

All in all, both are good readers. We can't easily say which is better. A kindle-font screen with a sony form factor would be best of the world.
lkkmaths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:36 PM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
I have a kindle and a Sony. Like them both, but when I have the same book for both, I read it on the kindle.
If you had 650 instead of 350 would you read it a book on kindle and not on sony?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha_fawn View Post
Yep. If nothing changes by the time my mom wants a reader, she'll be getting a Kindle because it's the easiest to get the greatest variety of books onto. She would probably like a touchscreen, and she would probably like library access, and she would certainly like the ability to get books at B&N, Sony, etc. if Amazon doesn't have them, but that is all trumped by the Kindle's simplicity when it comes to buying lots of books and having them immediately delivered. No reader is perfect, but the Kindle is best for a lot of people.
Unfortunately, I must agree with you.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #13
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha_fawn View Post

I do think that thread is partially populated with people who got a Kindle because it is The Ebook Reader, and love it because it is a nice device that does its job well, but who would (absent marketing and popularity) be better served by the feature set of a Sony or nook or iPad or other reader.
Maybe you should seriously compare the Sony store to Amazon. The prices are alike. I have jet to find a book at Amazon I can't find at Sony's and the use of the Reader Library is not so hard to learn. With using the sync function it should be manageable for your mother. Most people do their search for a book on the computer anyway and only download it via wifi.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #14
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
This is probably because I'm not in US, but if I was going to give an eReader to one of my "non-tech-nerd" relatives I would probably go for a Sony or whatever other ePub-reader I could find. Then I would tell them about the Swedish e-library and they'd be happily borrowing and transferring with the help of their computers (after their friendly computer literate relative - me or one of their kids/grandkids - had some software installed and a step by step laminated how-to guide handed over).
If they wanted to buy their own books they would do that from one of many Swedsih online stores, using a computer to do it (and a trusty cable to transfer it to the reader - no wireless hokus pokus, thank you very much). They wouldn't even know what Amazon was!

But - as I said - all this probably because I'm not in USA.

I'm actually amazed that most of my book-reading Kindle owning US friends didn't even have a clue that libraries even had eBooks until I told them.

Having said all that, I really don't like "my reader is better than yours" discussions. I really hope every single person is happy with his or her reader, whatever brand it is. I'd say most of them has something good going for them, and all of them are great little gadgets!

(But my reader REALLY is better than yours! Even if you have the same brand and model! REALLY! )
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #15
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
On the other hand if you were to ask Sony users what we'd want... would we respond with wifi and being able to buy books "on the go" like you can do with the Kindle?

I know I'm personally happier with my Sony. But I think for most people the Kindle is the better choice.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote