Notices

Old 10-31-2008, 03:04 AM   #1
Marc Mertens
Mathematician
Marc Mertens began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Digital Reader
Should I buy a Iliad or a DR Reader

Hello,

I currently own a BEBook and am perfectly happy with it, with one exception if I want to read technical pdf documents on it (especially mathematics) the screen is to small for me. The DR Reader seems to me the solution to this problem but I'm a little bit concerned about the bulk and portability of the reader and given the fact that most mathematical books are not in A4 format, I want to give the Iliad also a try.
So my question is this, is there someone on this forum who has used both the Iliad and the DR Reader for reading technical documents like mathematics and can he comment if this can be done in a comfortable way on the Iliad or does he recommend that the only way to read this kind of text is using a A4 sized device like the DR Reader.

Thanks a lot in advance.

PS. If neede i can upload a pdf file containing the kind of material that I want to read
Marc Mertens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:09 AM   #2
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Upload a file, Marc, and I'm sure you'll find people willing to help.

I can show you what it looks like on the iLiad. If you haven't had a reply from a DR1000 owner in the next few days, I'll load it on mine and take a photo (its at the office and I'm on a long holiday weekend).
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:05 AM   #3
Marc Mertens
Mathematician

Hello,

here is a typical example of the files that I want to be able to read on either the Iliad or the DR Reader

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Banach2.pdf (734.4 KB, 539 views)
Old 10-31-2008, 04:31 AM   #4
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Loaded on a USB stick, the file took 6 seconds to open on my iLiad.

When the page is zoomed too large to fit the screen, as in the landscape view, its easy to pan around by drawing with the stylus.

Note these are screenshots, not photos. The iLiad's screen contrast looks just the same as the DR1000S, HanLin V3 (BeBook) and Cybook (I've seen them all side by side, often).

People comment on the large screen size of the DR, especially when its next to a 6" reader, but its not particularly heavy or bulky, in my opinion.

Click 3 separate times on the pics to view them clearly.

Just for curiosity, I tried your file on my Cybook and I had to pan across 1/4 pages at a time in landscape view, zoomed 70%, to have it a readable size. Not a convenient way to read, but it was clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iLiad_081031_181727.png
Views:	807
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	17461   Click image for larger version

Name:	iLiad_081031_182107.png
Views:	656
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	17462  

Last edited by cbell; 10-31-2008 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Added 3 clicks suggestion
Old 10-31-2008, 05:38 AM   #5
dasoulseeker
dasoulseeker began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, DR1000s
I am having to make precisely the same choice, especially since it is possible to buy a near new iliad for £300 (ebay) as opposed to DR at £479 delivered. cbell, your screenshots of this A4 pdf suggests great readibility! Of course, the pixel density on the iliad is probably a lot higher than on my monitor, so it might be somewhat less readable in portrait than it appears. Is it possible for you to post a few pictures?

Thanks a lot.
dasoulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:47 AM   #6
cbell
Frenetic

Photos? OK, I'll take some over the weekend and post them here (unless someone else does in the meantime).

Its getting late here now, too tired to focus. My camera's only 5mp and I'm a lousy photographer, but I'll have a try
Old 10-31-2008, 05:51 AM   #7
dasoulseeker
dasoulseeker began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, DR1000s
Cheers
dasoulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:59 AM   #8
patatan
Enthusiast
patatan is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Gen 3, DR1000S
Some photos of your document in the DR1000S.
You can read a page at a time without problem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0812.JPG
Views:	832
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	17467   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0813.JPG
Views:	747
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	17468   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0814.JPG
Views:	698
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	17469  

Last edited by patatan; 10-31-2008 at 09:06 AM.
patatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:21 PM   #9
Marc Mertens
Mathematician

Thank you very much, I will look forward to see the photos

Marc
Old 10-31-2008, 12:33 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoulseeker View Post
Of course, the pixel density on the iliad is probably a lot higher than on my monitor, so it might be somewhat less readable in portrait than it appears.
To see the screenshots actual size, print to paper at 4.8" by 6.4" (160 ppi). One good way to visualize the difference is that the DR's screen is as wide as the iLiad's screen is tall (both have about 160 ppi). So the iLiad landscape mode will be similar to the DR in portrait mode, except showing less of the page height.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:42 PM   #11
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
In my case I eventually chose the DR1000s over the iliad. I tried the iliad and for reading A4 technical papers it was adequate in Landscape mode but was a challenge for myself with my older eyesight. Additionally, I require to examine Larger technical drawings/standards (A3 usually) and this made me wait and go down the DR1000 route. A Larger screen does make a difference in my case. Wallcraft's suggstion about printing out is a very good one and I did that myself before making up my mind. Set your page size to the appropriate screen dimension & print to fit & you will get a good idea.

That said, the iliad does have several features not available on the DR1000 that I would have liked, such as the ability to just plug in a flash drive & read it's contents. This when on site or in some meetings would be very helpful. It also has ethernet and on one version wifi availability, the DR1000 with wifi/bluetooth is not yet available.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:56 PM   #12
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
In my case I eventually chose the DR1000s over the iliad. I tried the iliad and for reading A4 technical papers it was adequate in Landscape mode but was a challenge for myself with my older eyesight. Additionally, I require to examine Larger technical drawings/standards (A3 usually) and this made me wait and go down the DR1000 route. A Larger screen does make a difference in my case. Wallcraft's suggstion about printing out is a very good one and I did that myself before making up my mind. Set your page size to the appropriate screen dimension & print to fit & you will get a good idea.

That said, the iliad does have several features not available on the DR1000 that I would have liked, such as the ability to just plug in a flash drive & read it's contents. This when on site or in some meetings would be very helpful. It also has ethernet and on one version wifi availability, the DR1000 with wifi/bluetooth is not yet available.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:36 PM   #13
Acesover8ts
Acesover8ts began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Mertens View Post
Hello,

here is a typical example of the files that I want to be able to read on either the Iliad or the DR Reader

Thanks
Hi Marc, I am going to have to disagree with everyone. I think it is not the size of display but the information contained in the pdf. I tried reading the same thing on my 24" monitor and after about 20 pages I found myself getting a head ache.
Acesover8ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:52 PM   #14
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi there,
Even if there are problems in DR1000S, I don't think that anything can come close.
I have to read quite diverse set of papers, ranging from statistics texts to medical articles. Once you get used to dr1000s's display, I can't imagine you using anything smaller.
You may have to buy a mobile charger, an angled usb cable etc, but I'd be more than happy to carry them around. I was in Birmingham yesterday, for a conference, and in the train I picked a spot in front of a table. four people sitting, with 3 using their laptops, and one using his dr1000s
people did notice that someone was much more comfortable, and I really enjoyed reading the articles. Size does matter Buy dr1000s, even with the initial set of issues, it is a great device.
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:14 PM   #15
cbell
Frenetic

pthwaite, plugging a USB stick into the iLiad is a feature I use every day.

I have a USB stick that's an SD card reader (ebay has them very cheap). Its quite convenient to use this with the DR.

Now, where's my camera...

Photo for those interested in comparing sizes... From the left: DR1000S, iLiad V2, Cybook Gen3, iLiad BE, HanLin V3. iLiad zoomed landscape, iLiad zoomed full page portrait x 2.

Its very readable on the iLiad (although I agree with Aces that its headache-inducing text). My photos don't do the iLiad justice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	compare sizes readers.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	348.1 KB
ID:	17499   Click image for larger version

Name:	banach iliad landscape.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	523.9 KB
ID:	17506   Click image for larger version

Name:	banach iliad portrait2.jpg
Views:	613