Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you sent your paperwhite back for exchange or gotten your money back?
Yes...once 17 13.49%
More than once 23 18.25%
No..the pw is working great. 86 68.25%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
How many of you have had to return/exchange your paperwhite?

Hi,
I am currently looking into purchasing a pw for my 10 year old. She likes reading before bed. I am torn between getting her the pw or just getting a non light reader with a book light. I would hate to have to return the unit. I see that a lot of people have returned them several times. I have a kobo glo and like it a lot but the firmware has some bugs. We get most books from the library.

Thanks,

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
kindleuzer
Enthusiast
kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: PW, K3 Kbd
Especially for a 10-yo, I would definitely get the PW! It's going to be way lighter (no pun intended) and easier to handle than a reader with a book light. And the light itself is worth it (all in my opinion). I'd hate to have to return mine, too - I've only had it about a week, but so far, so good!
kindleuzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Totally anecdotal information: I know of at least 3 PWs that I have physically seen that are as close to perfect as one could want, all on the first try.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Maybe I'm easy to please..

In the right (wrong?) conditions I can see the cones of light that a lot of folks have been complaining about, but they don't bother me.

If I could get a screen as large as my DX, this puppy would be the *best* ereader I've ever owned. As it is, I'm perfectly happy with my first and only Paperwhite.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Very small sample so far.
But I see 11 no returns, 0 for one return and 3 for multiple returns.
Not to offend anyone... but it kind of seems to point to the fact that the returns are all from the 'excessively-OCD types'.
Excessively because I definitely have OCD. And I did not return mine.

More seriously, it is not a perfect device and, as any e-ink device I have so far seen, it is affected by huge screen variation and a low level of process control.
Not sure why that is... is it because of multiple screen-suppliers? I have had the same models of SONYs, Kindles, Nooks side-by side and there is always screen differences... the PW is no exception.

But if you are more interested in reading than in chasing technological perfection, you won't be disappointed by the PW.

Well, probably. I know I wasn't. The screen is not uniform, nor is it white. But it's by far the best screen I have seen so far.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I'd guess that a 10-year old isn't as picky as an adult. I think she'll love the paperwhite.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I had to exchange my Paperwhite only once. I'm one of the lucky ones to have a pretty perfect Paperwhite now.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
The first one I received was horrible, but got a good one after just 1 exchange.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:36 AM   #9
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I picked two out of 9 units (repeat exchanges again and again). I do not have any type of OCD, just better than average color vision and could not stand or was willing to ignore the green/pink blotches, the dead screen, the pin holes,the smudges and artefacts between the screens.

The ones I kept are not perfect: one still has a pinkish tint and a pin hole, the other had faint color blotches that have gotten worse in the past few months - I just gave up on trying for better units.

That said, I still really like my PW as a reader, and the user interface makes up for a lot, so I would recommend just getting one and returning it if the screen is defective.

Last edited by xendula; 03-26-2013 at 07:58 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:45 AM   #10
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1
I exchanged mine once. The original had a hairline fracture in the screen. Second one has a bright speck on the screen, but it's in the margin and really only noticeable if you're using the internet on it, the color/uniformity is great!
Ephemerality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I believe I went through 5. This was mainly due to Amazon calling me on the phone after I left a negative review and telling me they wanted to send me another to make it right. When that one still had color hues and glowing specks, (among other issues) the process continued and they kept saying they had now solved the color hue problem and wanted to send me another one. If Amazon agrees there is something wrong with their product and they are working on it, who am I to argue with them.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
One, but that is not to say that my current one is as good as I would like. It is just not so bad as to exchange it. I still read a lot on my Kindle Touch as well, which is better in some respects (contrast and regularity of text rendering). Of course YMMV.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #13
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I love my PW, and the screen is just about perfect, but I may have to take out th jail break and send it back (and risk getting a worse screen). It doesn't respond all the time to my request to get the top menu bar, and the page turns seem awful slow.

I have to decide how much I can live with that, and how much work I'm willing to do to re-create the whole thing, all my collections and notes and everything. Right now, I'm willing to put up with the fact that it doesn't always respond to my touch (quite frequently, actually), just because undoing the jailbreak, re-doing it, and putting all my books into all my collections again is just too daunting.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #14
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Mine has zero issues. First one.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:45 AM   #15
rabscallion
rabscallion began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Mine seems Ok.
rabscallion is offline   Reply With Quote