Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #16
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
I bought the M92, I need something faster for the CFA exam in June.

Thanks for all the helps guys.

I will post pictures once I get my M92 next week.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #17
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
Well, 622 has been announced, so it makes sense to also expect a 922.
When PB announced 622 model on the-ebook.org forum PB representative was asked do they expect to release similar model but with 9,7" screen in this year and the answer was "No".
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #18
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbo View Post
PB uses homegrown closed source library libinkview for application development whereas onyx uses QT framework. PB does not care about compatibility of the changes they make to this proprietary library. The application may stop working properly and you will need to wait ages when PB will release new version of the SDK to fix it. Onyx develops their SDK on github and you may build it yourself after every change they make to it.
Okay, that does sound more open.

Out of curiosity, did Onyx use the QT framework before, or was it only recently when the readers got the more traditional pointer input device? Would QT work on a device without a pointer (like my PB902)?
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #19
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
Qt works on variety of platforms. At university, I develop Qt application for Symbian phones (both touch and non-touch), for example.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #20
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
Qt works on variety of platforms. At university, I develop Qt application for Symbian phones (both touch and non-touch), for example.
Interesting. How does it hook into non-keyboard button events (like next/prev page,
zoom in/out,...)? To be honest, I have no idea what the Linux sub-system is that delivers these events.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #21
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Out of curiosity, did Onyx use the QT framework before, or was it only recently when the readers got the more traditional pointer input device? Would QT work on a device without a pointer (like my PB902)?
Judging by github history they use it at least 2 years. It works on M92S which has no touch screen. There are some rumors that PB works on QT support on devices without touch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Interesting. How does it hook into non-keyboard button events (like next/prev page,
zoom in/out,...)? To be honest, I have no idea what the Linux sub-system is that delivers these events.
Onyx uses Qt for Embedded See here They have implemented keyboard driver: QWS_KEYBOARD='NabooKeyboard:/dev/input/event0' You will receive usual key events with codes like Qt::Key_PageUp, Qt::Key_PageDown etc.

Looks like PB going to use Qt LightHouse which is upgrade and replacement for Qt/E.
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #22
rkomar
Wizard

Thanks pkbo, that is interesting information. I used to code Qt applications about 10 years ago or so, and was always impressed with the quality of their code and documentation. It would also be nice to have applications that are easily portable between the Onyx and PocketBook devices. I think the two sets of users have much in common.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #23
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #24
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
You got it
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #25
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
I don't get the stuff about M92 being open either. How can you create a custom firmware or modify the existing one? Where is the firmware's source code? I can't find it in their git-repository: https://github.com/onyx-intl - only the sdk and a couple of tools in onyx-opensource.
OpenBoox did it for the Boox60 (alternative firmware).
The only things holding one back on the M92 afaik are
(1) a lack of proper understanding of the update procedure (but some folks seem to know - see the other thread in which I asked about the danger of bricking)
(2) the actual kernel source and patches (which I understand the GPL entitles us to get) - in order to be sure the kernel will work... by now (afaik), one can compile and adapt stock freescale SDK kernel modules to add them to the file system.
(3) the password security on the update ZIP file (which has been mentioned not to be very strong)

Cheers.

Update: though it seems to me, that OpenBoox did not touch the kernel or initrd either, but concentrated on everything in the root fs. (which probably is the safest bet, as I currently don't see the need for a different kernel either )

Last edited by kodomo; 03-13-2012 at 11:24 AM.
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote